Jim

Default ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice

I currently sail a 28' sailboat. The mast gets heavier
every year (it can't be me getting older). On the other hand
I fill the 20 gallon tank once/season, and usually have
something left over.

Recently I've been thinking (gasp) Power Cruiser. I know
little about these. I think maybe 25' or so would give me
comparable space to my sailboat. I'd also like an enclosed
helm to both extend the season, and get out of the sun a
little more (had a chunk taken out of my hide a couple of
years ago) Motorsailors are out of my price range.

So I look to you all for advice and counsel.

1 engine or 2, I/B or O/B, Aluminum or Glass? I like slow
and steady so more power doesn't really impress me -- I have
30 HP in my sailboat. Fuel cost is also a factor.

IF I had a place to sleep, keep my beer cold, cook
(minimally) and s,s,s&s, I'd be happy. (The shave, shower
and shine could be done ashore)

Somehow I like older boats. Current is a 72. I have no
need to impress my dockmate.

Price is a definite factor. Trailerable would be nice, but
I don't want to have to buy a new truck to haul it; I belong
to a YC with a co-op haulout, and the trailer would have
minimal use.

Boating would be on the Great (and they are) lakes -- Lake
Ontario to be specific.

Advice is welcome -- please tell me all the good/bad/ugly of
various boats. What do you think would best fit my needs.

Bill Kiene

Hi Jim,

You have been a 'sail boat guy' and I am a 'small outboard skiff guy' but we
have been thinking about the same thing.

I think that fiberglass would be more common but not that there is anything
wrong with aluminum as long as it is at least .100" and all welded.

I would look for something that has not been in the salt water for years.

I would also love to find something with a small diesel motor.

You can go to a web site like "boat trader online" and put in some
parameters.

1970 to 2004
24 to 26 feet
Diesel
$10,000 - $40,000?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

RichG

Hmmmm... I wonder, in your case, if you could simply take all of the sailing
paraphernalia off of your present boat...and just use her for a slow, but
stable power boat? You'd have to add fuel capacity...but nothing else that I
can think of?? What do you think?
regards,
RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Tuuk

Great lakes are wonderful. Having your boat on the trailer allows you to
dunk it in what ever water system you want that particular weekend. I do
exactly what you are wanting to do. I have had dozens of different size
boats for this area and the one I have now is the most practical and fun. I
have a 26 footer that is around 1970, nice and heavy for these choppy
waters. Solid hull. I ripped out the I/O and put on an outboard. Mine is a
225hp FICHT but I like to trailer all over the place. Especially an annual
trip to the keys. We do the down rigging, we do the out rigging and flat
lining.
There are a lot of older style boats that are perfect for what your looking
for in your particular area. Many many. Grab the RV magazine and do some
research. Do not buy the first boat you see. And any repairs you do, do them
yourself as when you get out in the middle of that lake, you turn the key
and nothing happens, you will know how to make it happen.
I also have a 9.9 kicker that we use mostly as we downrig or cruise, much
easier for the ears, fuel consumption, and prolongs the life of the plugs of
the main engine. I also do not go near a marina, I know most of the marina
owners in your area and I wouldn't get them to provide change from a dollar.
Most operate their business in an unethical manner. You can reverse the old
theory that a boat is simply a hole in the water that one pours money. Try
to do as much as you can yourself.
Leaving the boat on a trailer and in your driveway for example is a very
smart idea also. You do not have to unload all your expensive fishing and
boating equipment and you do not have to worry about people stealing the
stuff as much should it be left at the marina. Like I said earlier, when the
pickerel are biting in lake Erie, you go there, when the rainbows are biting
in Ontario, you go there. We also have the wonderful opportunity of
selecting which water system to boat in as is one is rough, you go to the
others. There are hundreds of very good boat ramps in our area.
Good luck
Your on the right track.

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

DSK

RichG wrote:
Hmmmm... I wonder, in your case, if you could simply take all of the sailing
paraphernalia off of your present boat...and just use her for a slow, but
stable power boat? You'd have to add fuel capacity...but nothing else that I
can think of?? What do you think?

It's a good idea but it takes a very strong willed person to go against
popular opinion. You could even add a pilothouse & more fuel tankage.

One of the nicest cruising boats I have been aboard is a Morgan Out
Island with the sailing rig chopped short, a pilothouse and a stern
platform and some other stuff added, and about half the ballast keel
sawed off. It was nowhere near as expensive as a "real" trawler style
yacht with the same accomodation would have been, and a lot more
practical most ways. It was a better looking boat IMHO than the Out
Island it started life as, too.

FB
Doug King

Tuuk

I don't think the world can handle two of me at this time. One is scary
enough.

"Griss" wrote in message
I want to be you when I grow up!

Grissy

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

Henry Blackmoore

In article , " Tuuk" wrote:

Leaving the boat on a trailer and in your driveway for example is a very
smart idea also. You do not have to unload all your expensive fishing and
boating equipment and you do not have to worry about people stealing the
stuff as much should it be left at the marina

Not if you live in Maryland the crime rate capital of America...