BoatBanter.com

-   -   Names (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/38517-names.html)

Michael Hims May 9th 05 10:14 PM

Names

Hi,

I've just finished my first r/c submarine and need a name. It's not based on
anything so it's kind of hard to think of a name. When you guys need a name
for your targets (boats) where do you get the naem from?

Thanks Michael

Jim, May 10th 05 01:36 AM

Michael Hims wrote:
Hi,

I've just finished my first r/c submarine and need a name. It's not based on
anything so it's kind of hard to think of a name. When you guys need a name
for your targets (boats) where do you get the naem from?

Thanks Michael

At Buffalo Naval Park sits a for real WW2 sub with the name "Croaker" --
Strikes me as strange, but if it's good enuf for the navy.......

Shortwave Sportfishing May 10th 05 01:39 AM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 21:14:38 GMT, "Michael Hims"
wrote:

Hi,

I've just finished my first r/c submarine and need a name. It's not based on
anything so it's kind of hard to think of a name. When you guys need a name
for your targets (boats) where do you get the naem from?

There never has been a submarine named Fang.

Therefore, I nominate Fang.

Later,

Tom

[email protected] May 10th 05 01:50 AM

You could always pick a historic name. How about the CSS Hunley? She's
considered the first submersible ever to sink an enemy vessel in
combat.
You would need to do a bit more research to figure out which sub was
first to sink an enemy vessel *and* return safely to port, if I
remember the story correctly.

Bill McKee May 10th 05 02:42 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
You could always pick a historic name. How about the CSS Hunley? She's
considered the first submersible ever to sink an enemy vessel in
combat.
You would need to do a bit more research to figure out which sub was
first to sink an enemy vessel *and* return safely to port, if I
remember the story correctly.

And all subs were named after fish in ww2

Bill McKee May 10th 05 02:43 AM

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
k.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
You could always pick a historic name. How about the CSS Hunley? She's
considered the first submersible ever to sink an enemy vessel in
combat.
You would need to do a bit more research to figure out which sub was
first to sink an enemy vessel *and* return safely to port, if I
remember the story correctly.

And all subs were named after fish in ww2

Well, at least US subs.

Jack Redington May 10th 05 03:04 AM

wrote:
You could always pick a historic name. How about the CSS Hunley? She's
considered the first submersible ever to sink an enemy vessel in
combat.
You would need to do a bit more research to figure out which sub was
first to sink an enemy vessel *and* return safely to port, if I
remember the story correctly.

One might wnat to consider that the CSS Hunley had three crews die in
it, if selecting it for a name :-) Including the one that sunk that
Union ship. I have seen the replica of it in Charleston SC. Amazing design.

Capt Jack R..

Capt Jack R..

JR_FXLR May 10th 05 03:13 AM

One might wnat to consider that the CSS Hunley had three crews die in it,
if selecting it for a name :-) Including the one that sunk that Union
ship. I have seen the replica of it in Charleston SC. Amazing design.

Capt Jack R..

I have seen the real thing, and it's more amazing-er. Like sitting sideways
in a 55gal drum, under water, while working a hand crank. Yikes.

JR.
ps. I vote for "Landshark"

DSK May 10th 05 03:18 AM

wrote:
You could always pick a historic name. How about the CSS Hunley? She's
considered the first submersible ever to sink an enemy vessel in
combat.
You would need to do a bit more research to figure out which sub was
first to sink an enemy vessel *and* return safely to port, if I
remember the story correctly.

AFAIK that would be the U-9.

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/InWW1G...tU9destro.html

DSK

Jack Redington May 10th 05 10:45 PM

JR_FXLR wrote:

One might wnat to consider that the CSS Hunley had three crews die in it,
if selecting it for a name :-) Including the one that sunk that Union
ship. I have seen the replica of it in Charleston SC. Amazing design.

Capt Jack R..

I have seen the real thing, and it's more amazing-er. Like sitting sideways
in a 55gal drum, under water, while working a hand crank. Yikes.

JR.
ps. I vote for "Landshark"

Some day I hope to see the real one myself. I heard there were some of
the surprises from the design or the replica. I need to make another
trip to Charleston.

Capt Jack R..

Capt Jack R..