BoatBanter.com

-   -   (OT) Dennis Miller, former Liberal (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/354-ot-dennis-miller-former-liberal.html)

Q July 25th 03 10:57 PM

(OT) Dennis Miller, former Liberal

To all:

I stole this fair and square from another ng.

"Most people are thinking they want to be protected. It's fine to
talk about health care, but I think most people are thinking they
don't want to have to use their health care to get stitched up after
they're blown up in a bomb blast by a nut case. They want the nut
case killed before that happens.

So, in that case, it becomes preemptive health care. As I get older it
seems unsafe to me to be anything but a conservative." -- Dennis
Miller

snip

Unsafe? What a wimp.

Safety is for sissies.

Contrast George Carlin:

You have to be realistic about terrorism. Ya gotta be a realist: Certain
groups of people--Muslim fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists,
Jewish fundamentalists, and just plain guys from Montana--are going to
continue to make life in this country very interesting for a long, long
time. That's the reality. Angry men in combat fatigues talking to God on
a two-way radio and muttering incoherent slogans about freedom are
eventually going to provide us with a great deal of entertainment.

Especially after your stupid ****in' economy collapses all around you,
and the terrorists come out of the woodwork. And you'll have anthrax in
the water supply and sarin gas in the air conditioners; there'll be
chemical and biological suitcase bombs in every city, and I say, "Relax,
enjoy it! Enjoy the show! Take a ****in' chance. Put a little fun in
your life." To me, terrorism is exciting. I think the very idea that
someone might set off a bomb in Macy's and kill several hundred people
is exciting and stimulating, and I see it as a form of entertainment!

But I also know most Americans are soft, frightened, unimaginative
people who have no idea there's such a thing as dangerous fun. And they
certainly don't recognize good entertainment when they see it. I have
always been willing to put myself at great personal risk for the sake of
entertainment. And I've always been willing to put you at great personal
risk for the same reason.

As far as I'm concerned, all of this airport security--the cameras, the
questions, the screening, the searches--is just one more way of reducing
your liberty and reminding you that they can **** with you any time they
want, as long as you're willing to put up with it. Which means, of
course, any time they want. Because that's the way Americans are now.
They're always willing to trade away a little of their freedom for the
feeling, the illusion--of security.

Keith July 26th 03 02:22 PM

(OT) Dennis Miller, former Liberal

Yep. I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said "Those who give up freedom
for safety will have neither."

--

Keith
__

Harry Krause July 26th 03 02:48 PM

Keith wrote:
Yep. I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said "Those who give up freedom
for safety will have neither."

All we have now is the illusion of security. This country is not an iota
safer than it was prior to 9-11. We've simply done what the
Konservatives wanted all along...traded off some of our freedoms to help
engender their police state.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Gary Warner July 26th 03 11:59 PM

(OT) Dennis Miller, former Liberal

I believe Dennis Miller made a business decision. He looked around
and noticed that all the commedians were mostly liberal. Sure, some
made fun of Clinton or other Democrats. But mostly their hearts were
with the left. Miller figured, "Hey, if I can be funny on the right I'll
be popular and get gigs."

gatt July 27th 03 04:11 AM

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

All we have now is the illusion of security. This country is not an iota
safer than it was prior to 9-11.

Reminds me of that 86-year-old retired Marine Corps Major General and former
governor who was held up for 45 minutes last year by airport security while
they tried to confiscate his Congressional Medal of Honor because of the pin
on the back. They took his keychain and CMoH commemorative nail file.

That old Marine was the probably the one guy in the airport most likely to
use his keychain and nail file to foil a terrorist attempt.

-c

Q July 27th 03 11:35 AM

(OT) Dennis Miller, former Liberal

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:59:55 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

I believe Dennis Miller made a business decision. He looked around
and noticed that all the commedians were mostly liberal. Sure, some
made fun of Clinton or other Democrats. But mostly their hearts were
with the left. Miller figured, "Hey, if I can be funny on the right I'll
be popular and get gigs."

Probably right. Just a common garden variety whore, just like his
friend AnnThrax Coulter.

jps July 27th 03 06:27 PM

wrote:

I believe Dennis Miller made a business decision. He looked around
and noticed that all the commedians were mostly liberal. Sure, some
made fun of Clinton or other Democrats. But mostly their hearts were
with the left. Miller figured, "Hey, if I can be funny on the right I'll
be popular and get gigs."

Probably right. Just a common garden variety whore, just like his
friend AnnThrax Coulter.

Agree with both points here. Dennis was a raving liberal right up to the
election results, then he switched teams.

"AnnThrax Coulter" made me laugh. Don't think I've heard her described more
accurately. Another making a living off of sensational punditry.

FishFan July 29th 03 01:45 PM

wrote:

I believe Dennis Miller made a business decision. He looked around
and noticed that all the commedians were mostly liberal. Sure, some
made fun of Clinton or other Democrats. But mostly their hearts were
with the left. Miller figured, "Hey, if I can be funny on the right I'll
be popular and get gigs."

Probably right. Just a common garden variety whore, just like his
friend AnnThrax Coulter.

Agree with both points here. Dennis was a raving liberal right up to the
election results, then he switched teams.

"AnnThrax Coulter" made me laugh. Don't think I've heard her described more
accurately. Another making a living off of sensational punditry.

Would love to get into it with you on this - but somewhere else. Your
inconsiderate "screw everyone else I'll do what I want, where I want"
attitude sucks. In case you haven't noticed this is the "rec.boats"
page. Post somewhere else and let me know where.

FishFan

jps July 29th 03 03:54 PM

(OT) Dennis Miller, former Liberal

"FishFan" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, sure, I'll do that and let you know.

Been here long?

Curtis CCR July 29th 03 06:29 PM

(OT) Dennis Miller, former Liberal

"jps" wrote in message ...
"FishFan" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

[...]

Probably not. Hadn't noticed that JPS and a couple of others have
taken the off-topic political bull**** to a new level.

They found a good system. Who needs an original thought when your
goal is only to make sure that every other thread in the groups starts
with "OT"? Just take articles and editorials - who cares if they are
copyrighted - from other sites, newpapers, whatever, and post them
here. Post an entire ****ing article! You shouldn't have to click a
link and leave rec.boats to read a pilfered poltical rant.

Damned near destroyed the newsgroup and appear to proud of themselves
for it.