BoatBanter.com

-   -   Battery question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3513-battery-question.html)

Rod McInnis March 9th 04 08:02 PM

Battery question

"Jim Woodard" wrote in message

My question is: Is it necessary for me to charge the battery or will
running it up and down the lake for an hour or two be enough to charge
it to sit? I only use it once or twice a week normally.

If the battery has enough power to start the boat then running it for an
hour will sufficiently recharge it for weekly use.

There is a significant chance, however, that when you back the boat into the
water and turn the key the starter motor will grind slowly for a few turns
and stop. Batteries "self discharge" over time, and many electronics
(including the electronic ignition) continues to draw small amounts of power
even when they are "off".

If you have provisions for hooking a hose up to the engine, start it up
while it is still on the trailer in your driveway. It is a whole lot easier
to resolve any problems now rather than waiting till you are at the launch
ramp. It wouldn't hurt to hook up a battery charger for few hours just to
hedge your bets.

Rod McInnis

tstefanski^^@ameritech.net March 9th 04 09:26 PM

Battery question

I would recommend you top off the batteries with distilled water, then
connect a trickle charger for several days. A standard flooded cell lead
acid battery will quickly regain about 85% of capacity, but the balance of
the charge is accepted in the "absorbsion" phase, and can take 72 hours or
longer to reach 100% of capacity. You may also want to jostle the batteries
a bit during this time to release any bubbles formed on the plates, and to
stir up the electrolyte as it tends to stratify when batteries sit for long
periods of time.

Good Luck

Paul Schilter March 9th 04 11:13 PM

Battery question

Jim,
If your engine has a charging system then running the boat should
sufficiently charge your battery. If you just did a lot of starting and
stopping without enough run time in between then it might not. Pretty much
like your car. I'd suggest having two batteries and an "A-B-Both-Off" switch
to give yourself insurance. I used to subscribe to rec.boats.cruising, it
wasn't moderated when I did. I'd be surprised to know that's been changed.
But there did seem to be less OT posting than over here. Happy boating.
Paul

"Jim Woodard" wrote in message
Thanks. I will subscribe to that newsgroup....meantime, I hope
someone will give me an answer here.

Florida Keyz wrote:

If you really wish to get inteligent answers, you may want to try
rec.boats.cruising. It's a moderated group with boaters. No O.T. posts.

--
-

Paul Schilter March 9th 04 11:16 PM

Battery question

Don,
Good advice. If you have the battery in freezing temperatures and it is
not charged up, good bye battery. As I well know.
Paul

"Don White" wrote in message
It's a bit late now...but I would have taken the battery indoors and

topped
it up with my battery charger once a month.
That is supposed to make the battery live a longer life.
(note: we have prolonged periods of below freezing weather)

Don Dando March 10th 04 12:20 AM

Battery question

If it were mine, I'd put a nice fresh charge on the battery and then check
the electrolyte with a hydrometer to be satisfied that all cells took a good
charge. If any cells are low, I'd replace the battery.

I don't go to the lake to work on boats, I try to get that all done at home
before I head out. Nothing ruins a nice day like a battery that cranked
good at home, but didn't quite make it starting the engine for the first
time out of the season since the motor has not been run since November!

Don Dando

"Jim Woodard" wrote in message
I have had my boat sitting on the trailer since late November.
Yesterday, I decided it was nice enough to check it out...I turned
the key and got the familiar sound, and was able to raise the motor
to normal position.

jchaplain March 10th 04 02:21 AM

Battery question

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:20:10 GMT, "Don Dando"
wrote:

If it were mine, I'd put a nice fresh charge on the battery and then check
the electrolyte with a hydrometer to be satisfied that all cells took a good
charge. If any cells are low, I'd replace the battery.

I don't go to the lake to work on boats, I try to get that all done at home
before I head out. Nothing ruins a nice day like a battery that cranked
good at home, but didn't quite make it starting the engine for the first
time out of the season since the motor has not been run since November!

Don Dando

If the engine hasn't been run since November, I would think it should
be run a while at home on the muffs before heading out anyway.

Darn, I left my batteries on the cement floor again this year.
I hear this is bad for the batteries.... -grin-
John C.

Rod McInnis March 10th 04 07:37 PM

Battery question

"jchaplain" wrote in message

Darn, I left my batteries on the cement floor again this year.
I hear this is bad for the batteries.... -grin-
John C.

Oh, No! You didn't "ground" the battery did you?

:-)

Rod

K. Smith March 12th 04 06:09 AM

Battery question

Rod McInnis wrote:
"K. Smith" wrote in message

the
best thing to charge the battery(s) is the engine's system, which by
design usually does everything just about right, a good initial high amp
hit to get the charging underway & replace the start loss, but it only
does this when it knows the battery is "cold" & can safely take it, then
it will settle to keep feeding the battery at a fully controlled optimal
rate till it's completely charged & then not overcharge it.

Man, I don't know what type of engine system that you have that came with
such an intelligent charging system, but no automobile based engine or
outboard motor that I have ever seen came that way stock from the factory.

Most factory alternators these days are the built in regulator types that
don't even give you the option of using a smart regulator. The regulators
simply crank full alternator output till the voltage reaches 13 volts, then
they decrease the output current as the voltage increases, reducing it to
the minimum (which usually is not zero) when the voltage reaches 14.2 volts.
The regulators are cheap and dumb.

If your alternator has an external regulator you can replace it with a
"smart" multi-stage regulator that will treat the batteries much better.
They will hold full alternator output until the battery voltage reaches 14.2
volts to assure a rapid return to full charge, then drop the voltage down to
13.2 volts to "float" the battery so it doesn't have any additional strain
on it.

The multi-stage battery chargers do the same and are much. much gentler on
the batteries than a cheap unregulated battery charger.

Rod McInnis

Most of those builtin ones are much cleverer than you think, put some
gauges over one & see, they do it just about right & usually have the
brute force to maintain that as other loads (lights etc) come & go