BoatBanter.com

-   -   boat stains (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3236-boat-stains.html)

adectus February 18th 04 04:17 AM

boat stains

I am considering buying a used boat. The boat is in excellent condition.
The only problem is that the boat was keept in water and there is a
brown water stain at the bottom. Is there a way to get this off.

thanks
mark

Short Wave Sportfishing February 18th 04 11:17 AM

boat stains

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:17:45 -0600, adectus
wrote:

I am considering buying a used boat. The boat is in excellent condition.
The only problem is that the boat was keept in water and there is a
brown water stain at the bottom. Is there a way to get this off.

Elbow grease, plain Soft Scrub, rubbing compound, then wax it.

There are a couple of other products out there like Bartender's Friend
that help a lot, but I've done it the Soft Scrub way and it's worked
every time.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern

Capt Frank Hopkins February 18th 04 03:13 PM

boat stains

If bleach doesn't work, try vinigar.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Short Wave Sportfishing February 18th 04 04:26 PM

boat stains

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:13:06 GMT, "Capt Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

If bleach doesn't work, try vinigar.

Apple or wine? :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Laurie Bridges February 18th 04 06:29 PM

boat stains

"adectus" wrote in message
I am considering buying a used boat. The boat is in excellent condition.
The only problem is that the boat was keept in water and there is a
brown water stain at the bottom. Is there a way to get this off.

Hydrochloric acid - (brick cleaner is a dilute version)

Short Wave Sportfishing February 18th 04 07:59 PM

boat stains

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:29:24 -0000, "Laurie Bridges"
wrote:

"adectus" wrote in message
I am considering buying a used boat. The boat is in excellent condition.
The only problem is that the boat was keept in water and there is a
brown water stain at the bottom. Is there a way to get this off.

Hydrochloric acid - (brick cleaner is a dilute version)

On fiber glass?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Chuck Baier February 18th 04 11:21 PM

boat stains

The product you will need is any that contains oxolic acid. It is mild
and available at pharmacies in powder form. There are many marine
products that contain this. It should take out the stains without
damaging the gelcoat etc.

jay February 19th 04 03:04 AM

boat stains

OxyClean works REALLY well...
Mix some in a spray bottle of hot water.. spray it on, wait a min or two,
and with a sponge alone you can remove about 90% of that stuff...
A product called "slimy-grimy" is supposed to be great, but it's like 20
something bucks/bottle.....

-j

KSHOAPS February 20th 04 03:57 PM

boat stains

be very careful with any bleaches--check the Boston Whaler site under
maintenance and they say bleaces may yellow the gel coat--recommend acid
type cleaners