Rod McInnis

Default Motor runs rough with tach wire hooked up

"Ed Barchetta" wrote in message

The wire goes from the coil, through the
throttle/shifter and then to the tach.

Is there a safety cutoff switch lanyard on the throttle/shifter assembly?
If so, then my guess is that you have some water in the cutoff switch.

There are also some shift assemblies that have a momentary "engine kill" as
it shifts, I assume so that the actual shift occurs at the lowest possible
engine RPM. If this mechanism is in the shifter assembly, then I would
suspect that either water got into that or the switch is failing.

If it is a safety lanyard issue, I would be tempted to just bypass it. If
it is a shifting function, then I would tear apart the shifter and dry out
or replace whatever is in there that the wire touches.

Rod

Ed Barchetta

There's not a safety switch. I'm guessing it's the other 'engine kill'
switch. Sounds like if it's malfunctioning, it may produce the effects I
have having. I've just gotta get the time to get the covers off and go in
and look around.

Thanks for the reply,
Ed