BoatBanter.com

-   -   Motor runs rough with tach wire hooked up (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3224-motor-runs-rough-tach-wire-hooked-up.html)

Short Wave Sportfishing February 19th 04 04:11 PM

Motor runs rough with tach wire hooked up

On 19 Feb 2004 06:07:03 -0800,
(modervador) wrote:

"Ed Barchetta" wrote in message ...
"David Ward" wrote in message
ink.net...
snip
You already isolated the problem to the wiring - so the next step would be
to inspect the loom and see if there's an abrasion problem and how many
other wires will be affected sooner or later - then go enjoy the water.

Dave

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the 'loom'?

Ed

It's where Inspector Clouseau spends ze night at ze hotel.

ROTFL!!!!

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern

Ed Barchetta February 20th 04 12:42 AM

Motor runs rough with tach wire hooked up

There's not a safety switch. I'm guessing it's the other 'engine kill'
switch. Sounds like if it's malfunctioning, it may produce the effects I
have having. I've just gotta get the time to get the covers off and go in
and look around.

Thanks for the reply,
Ed

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"Ed Barchetta" wrote in message

The wire goes from the coil, through the
throttle/shifter and then to the tach.

Is there a safety cutoff switch lanyard on the throttle/shifter assembly?
If so, then my guess is that you have some water in the cutoff switch.

There are also some shift assemblies that have a momentary "engine kill"

as
it shifts, I assume so that the actual shift occurs at the lowest possible
engine RPM. If this mechanism is in the shifter assembly, then I would
suspect that either water got into that or the switch is failing.

If it is a safety lanyard issue, I would be tempted to just bypass it. If
it is a shifting function, then I would tear apart the shifter and dry out
or replace whatever is in there that the wire touches.

Rod

Ed Barchetta February 20th 04 12:43 AM

Motor runs rough with tach wire hooked up

Could it also go back to the engine and cause poor performance, (timing
maybe??)

Ed

"modervador" wrote in message
om...
"Ed Barchetta" wrote in message

"Kenneth670" wrote in message
You might want to chech the shift interupter switch to see if it might

be
defective or stuck if your setup has one.

I wonder if that's the part that my mechanic was referring to. Is this

what
prevents you from going into gear with the rpm's too high and located in

the
throttle area? If so, that should be easily replaceable and not too
expensive, eh?

Ed

The shift interrupter switch cuts the ignition briefly when shifting
into gear to lessen the slamming when the shift dog engages. It
doesn't actually physically prevent the shift lever from being put
into gear at high RPM.

If the interrupter is acting up, it could concievably send spikes down
the tach wire and confuse the tach.

%mod%