BoatBanter.com

-   -   Problem With 15 HP Merc (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3221-problem-15-hp-merc.html)

Joe Murdock February 17th 04 04:15 AM

Problem With 15 HP Merc

I've got a 15 HP Merc Outboard that I use as a kicker for my sailboat. It's
about three years old and doesn't have many hours on it. It's developed a
problem where it will only run at low speed (1/4 throttle) until it's been
running for about 15 minutes. It you throttle up before that it chokes and
dies. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks. JM.

Short Wave Sportfishing February 17th 04 11:09 AM

Problem With 15 HP Merc

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:15:19 -0800, "Joe Murdock"
wrote:

I've got a 15 HP Merc Outboard that I use as a kicker for my sailboat. It's
about three years old and doesn't have many hours on it. It's developed a
problem where it will only run at low speed (1/4 throttle) until it's been
running for about 15 minutes. It you throttle up before that it chokes and
dies. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks. JM.

Sounds like you need a dose of carb cleaner.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern

Short Wave Sportfishing February 17th 04 11:12 AM

Problem With 15 HP Merc

wrote:

I've got a 15 HP Merc Outboard that I use as a kicker for my sailboat. It's
about three years old and doesn't have many hours on it. It's developed a
problem where it will only run at low speed (1/4 throttle) until it's been
running for about 15 minutes. It you throttle up before that it chokes and
dies. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks. JM.

Or a new spark plug. :)

~~ damn that send key - damn it to hell ~~ [1]

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern

[1] I watched the "Planet of The Apes" marathon on SciFi yesterday
while building a new spinning rod. Have to stop doing that.

Jay February 17th 04 01:48 PM

Problem With 15 HP Merc

May want to try running a tank of gas w/Techron additive. Sounds like
the fuel has varnished in the (very) small venturi holes in the carb.
A tank or two should do the trick.

Just my $0.02.

-Jay.