BoatBanter.com

-   -   CAUTION!- Rec.boats has it's very own.. (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3054-re-caution-rec-boats-has-its-very-own.html)

Florida Keyz February 2nd 04 10:30 PM

CAUTION!- Rec.boats has it's very own..

there are more than just one ....

Harry Krause February 2nd 04 11:32 PM

CAUTION!- Rec.boats has it's very own..

noah wrote:
virus mailer.

It's not the "mydoom" worm that's going around. It's a rec.boats idiot
intentionally faking addresses and emailing trojan-horse viruses. Apparently,
if you say something he doesn't like, he'll try to ruin your day with a virus.

I received one that was faked with my "from" address, sent *to* my address.
...not very clever. Header information was forwarded to the appropriate
authorities.

Do not trust any email attachment that appears to come from ANYONE in this
group, including me. Update your anti-virus.

There's a turd in the pool...

Regards,
noah

...as you were. :o)

Can you be more specific? I mean, there are so many idiots in this
newsgroup from which to choose...Tuuk, Wally, NetSock...

--
Email sent to is never read.

bb February 3rd 04 12:14 AM

CAUTION!- Rec.boats has it's very own..

On 2 Feb 2004 15:08:13 -0600, noah
wrote:

There's a turd in the pool...

You sure it's not a Baby Ruth?

bb

Wayne.B February 3rd 04 02:17 AM

wrote:
Do not trust any email attachment that appears to come from ANYONE in this
group, including me. Update your anti-virus.

It's not necessarily from someone in the group although updating your
anti-virus is always a good idea, and so is a firewall. There are
rascals in cyberspace who scrape EMAIL addresses from postings where
ever they can find them. Your best bet is to post with something like
a Hotmail address for a few reasons: One, they do a good job of
scanning incoming mail for SPAM and viruses. Two, they have effective
filtering which you can fine tune; and three, if the EMAIL address
gets too hot with junk you can always walk away from it and start
over.

Wayne.B February 3rd 04 12:47 PM

CAUTION!- Rec.boats has it's very own..

On 3 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0600, noah
wrote:

This one was intentional, though.
With a little luck, and cooperation, one dolt will be gone.

======================================

Be sure to fill us in on the details when the dust settles.

John H February 3rd 04 02:37 PM

CAUTION!- Rec.boats has it's very own..

wrote:
Do not trust any email attachment that appears to come from ANYONE in this
group, including me. Update your anti-virus.

It's not necessarily from someone in the group although updating your
anti-virus is always a good idea, and so is a firewall. There are
rascals in cyberspace who scrape EMAIL addresses from postings where
ever they can find them. Your best bet is to post with something like
a Hotmail address for a few reasons: One, they do a good job of
scanning incoming mail for SPAM and viruses. Two, they have effective
filtering which you can fine tune; and three, if the EMAIL address
gets too hot with junk you can always walk away from it and start
over.

Yes, you are correct. When I went to roger's referenced site (see the
Janet Jackson's tit thread -- "her tits are disgusting.
http://www.twelvefifteen.com doesnt like them
either. check out what they said..."), I picked up a Trojan. Luckily
the virus scan caught it. I believe it happened when I clicked on a
link on roger's site.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Harry Krause February 3rd 04 03:02 PM

John H wrote:

Yes, you are correct. When I went to roger's referenced site (see the
Janet Jackson's tit thread -- "her tits are disgusting.
http://www.twelvefifteen.com doesnt like them
either. check out what they said..."), I picked up a Trojan. Luckily
the virus scan caught it. I believe it happened when I clicked on a
link on roger's site.

John H

You went over to a site to learn more about Janet Jackson's tits?

--
Email sent to is never read.

Rob February 3rd 04 10:40 PM

Wayne.B wrote:
On 2 Feb 2004 15:08:13 -0600, noah
It's not necessarily from someone in the group although updating your
anti-virus is always a good idea, and so is a firewall. There are
rascals in cyberspace who scrape EMAIL addresses from postings where
ever they can find them. Your best bet is to post with something like
a Hotmail address for a few reasons: One, they do a good job of
scanning incoming mail for SPAM and viruses. Two, they have effective
filtering which you can fine tune; and three, if the EMAIL address
gets too hot with junk you can always walk away from it and start
over.

Or get a Mac and never worry about a virus again ;-)
--
Rob

Harry Krause February 3rd 04 10:45 PM

Rob wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On 2 Feb 2004 15:08:13 -0600, noah
It's not necessarily from someone in the group although updating your
anti-virus is always a good idea, and so is a firewall. There are
rascals in cyberspace who scrape EMAIL addresses from postings where
ever they can find them. Your best bet is to post with something like
a Hotmail address for a few reasons: One, they do a good job of
scanning incoming mail for SPAM and viruses. Two, they have effective
filtering which you can fine tune; and three, if the EMAIL address
gets too hot with junk you can always walk away from it and start
over.

Or get a Mac and never worry about a virus again ;-)
--
Rob

NOT true.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Rob February 3rd 04 11:03 PM

Harry Krause wrote:

Rob wrote:
Or get a Mac and never worry about a virus again ;-)

NOT true.

Actually, it is. There is not a single, not one, virus listed for MacOS
X on the securityfocus sight, http://securityfocus.com/. There were a
few for the older versions but none have been written, or at the very
least released, that affect MacOS X. That's not to say the Mac is
invulnerable, there are denial of service attacks that can be waged
against any computer connected to a network and buffer overflows which
allow a cracker to take ownership of your machine. Thankfully, active
attacks like that are fairly rare against indiviuals. On the virus front
though, none have been reported for the Mac in the past two years.

There's a reason some of the more professional security experts use them:

http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin...item.pl?id=215
--
Rob