BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat fell off trailer (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2917-boat-fell-off-trailer.html)

bb January 25th 04 04:55 AM

Boat fell off trailer

More often than not I take my trailerable fishing boats out by myself.
I have a routine where I get ready back down the ramp, unhook the
boat, tie the boat to the trailer with a 20' or so line, then back
down the ramp. Usually, once the boat is partially floating, I have
to stiffly brake a couple of times to get the boat off the trailer.
If the transom of the boat is not partially in the water, the boat
just doesn't budge off the trailer.

Well, today, I went through my normal routine at a ramp I've used many
times before. About half way down the ramp the boat just slid off the
trailer. The skeg of the ob took the brunt of the impact, but the
boat slip at least half way off the trailer. I stopped he truck and
cranked the boat back up the trailer, then proceeded to back the boat
into the water and launch successfully.

My trailer has bunks with indoor/outdoor carpet, not rollers. The
ramp was one I've used before and not unusually steep. I was backing
down the ramp slowly and did not even tap the brakes. When I put the
boat back on the trailer I have to give it a pretty good shot of power
to run it into place. On this particular day I was going with another
person who has launched trailerable power boats for years and says he
goes through the same routine as I do and has never seen anything like
what happened today.

Like I said, my normal routine for years has been to stop out of the
way in the ramp area, check the boat, unhook the crank and safety
chain, attach a 20' rope then move to the ramp area. I'll then back
down the ramp and get the boat free from the trailer by stiffly
braking a couple of times when the boat is partially floating.

After this incident, from now on, I'll back down until the boat is
right at the waters edge before disconnecting the safety hook. I
can't say I see others doing what I'm describing, but I'll be damned
if I'll have the boat slide off on the ramp again.

What are other folks experiences in launching their boats? Do you
stop just as the boat reaches the water and then disconnect the safety
chain? I can't say I've notice anyone else doing this, but maybe I'm
missing someing.

bb

Bill Andersen January 25th 04 05:39 AM

Boat fell off trailer

Sorry about your accident, but that's why I keep the winch and safety chain
in place until the boat's in the water and I'm ready to go. I usually let
the engine idle for a minute to be sure it isn't going to stall, before
releasing the winch and safety chain. It sometimes takes some power to get
off the trailer.

Calif Bill January 25th 04 06:09 AM

Boat fell off trailer

"bb" wrote in message
[...]

I stop with the trailer wheels in the or close to the water and unhook the
strap and chain. If launching by myself, I tie the bow line to the winch
post and then back in and slide the boat off the bunks. Pull forward a
little and grab the line and tie it off to the dock as far out as possible.
If launch with wife of another person, just have them hold the line and pull
in out the dock as I park. I dropped a 14' off a trailer, luckily the motor
was up and just scratch the transom when pulling up the ramp and the winch
dog failed. So I am very careful with a bigger, more expensive boat.
Bill

jchaplain January 25th 04 02:25 PM

Boat fell off trailer

I would have to say that what you have been doing is unsafe, but you
have been lucky enough to get away with it until now.
Why would you think that putting thousands of pounds on an inclined
surface without restraint is ok to do? Just because it hasn't slid of
before? Someone could get seriously hurt. It would be the smart thing
to do to keep the safety chain on until you get the transom in the
water. This is why they call it boat ramp antics, because people don't
use common sense.
Sorry to be so hard on you, but you really need to think about doing
what makes sense rather than what has worked before or worked for
other people.

Harry Krause January 25th 04 02:34 PM

Boat fell off trailer

[...]

I've been using bunk trailers for nearly 15 years, and I never detatch
the safety strap and hook from the bow eye until the boat is in the
water, about as far down the ramp as I usually need to go. Up here,
early and late in the season, that requires that I plop both feet into
pretty cold water so I have good footing (standing on the trailer frame
is not what I call good footing), but hey, pneumonia is part of pleasure
boating, right?

I've seen a couple of boats slide right off bunk trailers on steep ramps
when boats were not attached to the trailers. Happens a lot more often
with roller trailers, of course. I don't much like roller trailers.

--
Email sent to is never read.

RG January 25th 04 02:39 PM

Boat fell off trailer

Hmmm...... I, like you, have had a lot more trouble getting boats to get OFF
of the trailer, than having to worry about them slipping off. Usually, the
ramps that I use have a very gentle slope.

However, after reading this, I'll use the more conservative approach of not
disconnecting the winch strap/dog until the rear end is in the water. I
happen to have two "new to me" 16 foot boats. Both have larger and heavier
engines than my prior boat. I have very little ramp experience with them so
far...so I guess prudence is called for.

Thanks for the admission of imperfection.

Sheesh...some of these guys would have you believe they never launched
without forgetting the plug!!!!

regards, RichG

RG January 25th 04 02:50 PM

Boat fell off trailer

Harry, re "walking in the cold water".... I added a "walker " (a flat piece
of plywood with non-skid) on to my removable trailer tongue. It helps me
avoid either getting wet, or, worse yet, falling off of the skinny
galvanized trailer tongue.

See a very bad pix of it at
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffO...hoto&PhotoID=9

Around here, the water doesn't get as cold, but it is still smelly and
slippery on the ramps.
RichG

Harry Krause January 25th 04 02:55 PM

Boat fell off trailer

RG wrote:

Harry, re "walking in the cold water".... I added a "walker " (a flat piece
of plywood with non-skid) on to my removable trailer tongue. It helps me
avoid either getting wet, or, worse yet, falling off of the skinny
galvanized trailer tongue.

See a very bad pix of it at
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffO...hoto&PhotoID=9

Around here, the water doesn't get as cold, but it is still smelly and
slippery on the ramps.
RichG

Ah, yes, but my inherent laziness took over last spring, and I didn't
want to drill any holes into the alum trailer frame, and...well, see
reason #1.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Don White January 25th 04 03:58 PM

Boat fell off trailer

The boats I normally launch are light (under 1000 lbs.) but I would still
keep the winch cable connected until I got out of the van and was prepared
for the final 'push off'.
My new sailboat will be about 1300 lbs. so I'll be especially careful.
The one time I had a boat slip off a trailer occured on a city street. I had
a 12' wood rowboat on a modified utility trailer that flew off sideways as I
turned a corner and slammed into a telephone pole.
I quickly struggled to get it back on the trailer and moved on.

RG January 25th 04 04:25 PM

Boat fell off trailer

Setting aside the laziness factor ...there are NO holes drilled into the
galvanized trailer. The galvanized "L" brackets span the square tube. The
bolts draw it tight. The only holes are into wood, where the "L" brackets
attach to the wooden plywood. Not a bad one hour job if you have the tools.
RichG

http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffO...hoto&PhotoID=9

Harry Krause January 25th 04 05:01 PM

Boat fell off trailer

RG wrote:

Setting aside the laziness factor ...there are NO holes drilled into the
galvanized trailer. The galvanized "L" brackets span the square tube. The
bolts draw it tight. The only holes are into wood, where the "L" brackets
attach to the wooden plywood. Not a bad one hour job if you have the tools.
RichG

http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffO...hoto&PhotoID=9

Indeed. I have no good way to get off the damned boat once I slide it up
on its trailer on the ramp at our marina. There's no dock alongside the
boat ramp, and the drop from the gunnel to the trailer fender puts me in
pretty deep water. Crabbing my way from the fenders to the front of the
trailer on the frame rails...well...I'm sure to fall in. Frequently. The
problems with single-handed retrieval at our marina is one of the
reasons I'm looking for another marina.

--
Email sent to is never read.

RG January 25th 04 05:15 PM

Boat fell off trailer

No arguments from here. Just trying to provide an alternative to walking in
the soup.
RichG

Bill Andersen January 25th 04 05:56 PM

Boat fell off trailer

I have to back in to the water until the rear tires of my tow vehicle are
right at the waters edge. No way to get to the tongue of the trailer without
getting wet feet. So, I usually wear hip boots in the winter, bare feet,
sandals or booties in the summer and climb up at the trailer fender to board
my 19" runabout. The docks are no where close to the ramps, so I have to
hurry to tie up the boat and get back to the ramp to move the tow vehicle
out of the way.
It's a luxury when I'm not solo and I can get in and out of the boat on
land, letting someone else back the trailer into or out of the water.

W" wrote in message
Here's another way to get a boat off a trailer.
After hurricane Alicia, my daughter way bringing our 25' sailboat back

from
a friends house on "high ground" when the trailer decided to part company
with her truck. The trailer ran down into the water logged drainage ditch
and at @50 MPH the tongue dug in and the boat neatly leapt over the front

of
the trailer, skidded 100 yards merrily down the ditch and came to rest

with
the bow of the boat half way across the next intersection. This happened
about a mile from our house and my nearly hysteric daughter came to get me
before making any attempt to move the boat. By the time we got back,

there
were two sheriff deputys there trying to figure out how in the hell this
boat managed to get there as the trailer was nearly out of sight back down
the ditch. The boat was completely unharmed except for one small scratch

on
the bow.

Paul Schilter January 25th 04 07:46 PM

Boat fell off trailer

bb,
You didn't by chance just wax that boat? Sorry to hear of your
misfortune.
Paul

Wayne.B January 26th 04 01:05 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:39:04 GMT, "RG"
wrote:
I, like you, have had a lot more trouble getting boats to get OFF
of the trailer, than having to worry about them slipping off. Usually, the
ramps that I use have a very gentle slope.

I'm fairly new to the trailer and ramp game but here's what I do which
has worked so far:

1. Stage boat by taking off tie down strap, turning on battery switch
and blower, check drain plug, tilt up outdrive, etc.

2. Back down ramp so boat is half in water.

3. Remove safety chain and winch cable from boat.

4. Give bow line to wife on dock.

5. Back down a few more feet and hit brakes hard. Boat usually slides
right off. If not, repeat step 5.

Wayne.B January 26th 04 01:14 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:01:32 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:
There's no dock alongside the
boat ramp, and the drop from the gunnel to the trailer fender puts me in
pretty deep water. Crabbing my way from the fenders to the front of the
trailer on the frame rails...well...I'm sure to fall in. Frequently. The
problems with single-handed retrieval at our marina is one of the
reasons I'm looking for another marina.

====================================

I once found myself in that situation and ended up going over the bow
and down the front trailer post. I've actally seen a few trailers set
up with foot pegs on the front post.

bb January 26th 04 02:45 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:25:17 GMT, jchaplain wrote:

I would have to say that what you have been doing is unsafe, but you
have been lucky enough to get away with it until now.

Well, I think thats pretty much what I admitted to, but thanks for the
echo.

Why would you think that putting thousands of pounds on an inclined
surface without restraint is ok to do?

I would have to say because I was taught that years and years ago by
people I considered knowledgeable in launching trailerable power boats
in our local, because as I have observed literally hundereds of other
folks launching their boats that same way at my local with no
problems, and because there is actually restraint called friction.

Just because it hasn't slid of
before?

Well, yes, that, and because I've never seen or heard of it happening
to anyone else in my boating area.

Someone could get seriously hurt.

Brilliant deduction. That was kinda the reason for my post and I'm
very glad you were able to gleen that titbid of wisdom from it.

It would be the smart thing
to do to keep the safety chain on until you get the transom in the
water.

Uh, yeah, that was kinda the conclusion I had made in my origial post.

Sorry to be so hard on you, but you really need to think about doing
what makes sense rather than what has worked before or worked for
other people.

Oh, I don't mind you being hard on me. I realize there's always a few
folks out there who have a need to feel superior. Have at it.

I see nothing wrong with relying on what has worked before, or works
for other people. The method I described appears to the the norm for
launching boats in my area. When something has worked for me for
years, and appears to work acceptably for others also, I see no real
problem with considering it a viable process.

Now that I've experienced a problem with what was considered the norm,
I'll make changes to my procedures so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks for much for your helpful and condescending input.

bb

bb January 26th 04 02:46 AM

Boat fell off trailer

wrote:

Hmmm...... I, like you, have had a lot more trouble getting boats to get OFF
of the trailer, than having to worry about them slipping off. Usually, the
ramps that I use have a very gentle slope.

The ramp I had trouble with is one of my least favorite because it has
less slope than most others I use.

However, after reading this, I'll use the more conservative approach of not
disconnecting the winch strap/dog until the rear end is in the water. I
happen to have two "new to me" 16 foot boats. Both have larger and heavier
engines than my prior boat. I have very little ramp experience with them so
far...so I guess prudence is called for.

Thanks for the admission of imperfection.

Yeah, would have been much easier to learn a lesson and keep my mouth
shut, but I'm glad you were able to pick up a tip without having to go
through what I did.

bb

bb January 26th 04 02:47 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:47:09 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Strange. Even semi floating, I have had trouble getting the boat off
of the trailer.

That has certainly been my experience. Heck, it takes a good shot of
the brakes with my fenders under water to float the beast.

Is anything different with respect to "lubrication"? Different bottom
paint? polish? bunk carpet? frost? ice??

Nothing that I know of. It's 70 out, so no ice or frost. No wax. No
bottom paint, same bunk carpet. I have no clue as to why the darned
thing slid off the trailer on the least slopping ramp I use and with
no brake action. I guess it was just my time. I know I learned a
lesson with no injuries or substantial damage, and hopefully I've
prevented someone else from making the same mistake.

Thanks for the input, Gene.

bb

bb January 26th 04 02:47 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:46:16 -0500, "Paul Schilter"
paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote:

bb,
You didn't by chance just wax that boat?

No wax, and nothing new. I haven't had it out in about a month, but
nothing I can put a finger on as to why now.

Sorry to hear of your
misfortune.

Thanks, but no real dammage, except to my huge ego.

bb

bb January 26th 04 02:48 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:34:27 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

I've seen a couple of boats slide right off bunk trailers on steep ramps
when boats were not attached to the trailers.

Well, this certainly couldn't be considered a steep ramp, but my
launch methods are modified from here on out. My favorite ramp is
twice as steep. If it had started to slip off on that ramp, no doubt
the whole rig would have come crashing down.

Seems like I have to learn the same lessons over and over again, but
I'm pretty sure this is one I'll get right the first time.

bb

JimL January 26th 04 05:12 AM

Boat fell off trailer

bb,

Glad no one got hurt as well as no damage to the boat. I was out
Wennesday at the coast with a neighbor down there when he launched
his boat. He was launching on a fairly steep ramp and unhooked the
boat halfway down the ramp. I was quite surprised the boat didn't
slide off then and there. I had a little talk with him about how
he launches and hopefully what I pointed out sunk in for him. I
don't remember if he had bunks or rollers, but either way, I was
surprised the boat stayed on the trailer!

When I launch, I don't unhook the boat until I'm pretty much at
the water with it. Even though I have rollers, I have to back in
pretty far (back wheel at or in water) for the boat to want to
come off the trailer and even then, I apply the brakes for that
extra boost. Once the boat is floating, I'll get on the dock and
tie it off.

I'm thinking you should open the lower drain plug on your
gearcase to make sure the shock didn't affect anything and cause a
leak. If you do, you should only need to let a few drops out as the
water will have sunk to the bottom or the oil will have turned a
milky white from mixing with water.

-JimL

Jim Woodard January 26th 04 01:53 PM

Boat fell off trailer

I don't like real steep ramps....I made the mistake of keeping the
chains on my boat trailer too tight, and did not know the ramp was
so steep (first time on it).....and the chains scratched my bumper
pretty deeply, making kind of a mess with it.

-

bb January 26th 04 01:53 PM

Boat fell off trailer

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 05:12:48 GMT, JimL
wrote:

I'm thinking you should open the lower drain plug on your
gearcase to make sure the shock didn't affect anything and cause a
leak. If you do, you should only need to let a few drops out as the
water will have sunk to the bottom or the oil will have turned a
milky white from mixing with water.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I was planning on doing just that,
but a reminder doesn't hurt.

bb

Rod McInnis January 26th 04 07:05 PM

Boat fell off trailer

"bb" wrote in message
What are other folks experiences in launching their boats? Do you

stop just as the boat reaches the water and then disconnect the safety
chain? I can't say I've notice anyone else doing this, but maybe I'm
missing someing.

I have seen this happen before, which is why I have always waited until I
had the trailer in the water before disconnecting the bow hook.
Specifically, I will back the trailer into the water until the tongue is
right at the water's edge, where I can reach it without getting my feet wet.
On some ramps this is far enough to get the boat off with a gentle push. On
other ramps I will back up another foot or two and tap the brake to slide
the boat off.

I would say that you were lucky that the boat only partially came off the
trailer. I have seen it in the past where the boat came all the way off,
and then had to be dragged down the ramp to the water. That is REALLY hard
on the bottom. Plus it ****es everyone off who is waiting to use the ramp.

Why did it happen this time and never before?

Well, perhaps being winter the bunks never dried out from the last time
you used the boat. Dry bunks will hold the boat okay, but the boat will
slide much easier on wet bunks. If it has been cold and damp since the last
time you launched the carpet pads could have still been wet.

Rod

jchaplain January 26th 04 10:35 PM

Boat fell off trailer

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 02:45:55 GMT, bb wrote:

[...]

I didn't intend to come of as condescending. You admiited you made a
mistake, and I appreciate that. I've made plenty myself, and I'll
admit them too.
It's just that you defended it by saying it's always worked before
when you know it was always the wrong thing to do from the getgo.
Better luck this season.
I hope to get less bend props and scuff marks myself this coming
season.

John C.

bb January 27th 04 12:33 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:35:45 GMT, jchaplain wrote:

I didn't intend to come of as condescending.

Fair enough, sorry for the somewhat harsh counter reply.

It's just that you defended it by saying it's always worked before
when you know it was always the wrong thing to do from the getgo.

I defended it by saying I was taught the method years ago by
trailerable power boat people who had lots of experience and by the
observation that the method I used was certainly the common method on
the ramps I use. What I never said was I knew it was the wrong thing
to do. If I had the slightest inclination the boat might slide off
the bunks on our local ramps I would have modified my methods before
this incident.

Hey, I learned a lesson with very little negative consequenses, and
hopefully I've alerted someone else to the possibility.

Happy boating.

bb

C. Sadler January 27th 04 01:48 AM

Boat fell off trailer

bb wrote in message SNIPBoat fell off the trailer SNIP
bb

Any chance it rained recently and your plug was in?

I could see a bilge water movement causing the mystery suicide attempt.

modervador January 27th 04 01:52 AM

Boat fell off trailer

"QLW" wrote in message ...
Here's another way to get a boat off a trailer.
After hurricane Alicia, my daughter way bringing our 25' sailboat back from
a friends house on "high ground" when the trailer decided to part company
with her truck. The trailer ran down into the water logged drainage ditch

[snip]

So that we can avoid this disaster ourselves, what was the status of
the safety chains and what caused the apparent decoupling?

%mod%

bb January 27th 04 02:11 AM

Boat fell off trailer

On 26 Jan 2004 17:48:49 -0800, (C. Sadler) wrote:

bb wrote in message SNIPBoat fell off the trailer SNIP
bb

Any chance it rained recently and your plug was in?

I could see a bilge water movement causing the mystery suicide attempt.

Well, there's an interesting theory, and, to my way of thinking, a
very viable possibility. My habit is to hit the bilge pump switch as
part of my readying the boat for towing routine, but that doesn't
guarantee the bilge wasn't full and the switch or pump failed. I'm
not in the habit of leaving the plug out of this boat as it does have
an auto bilge pump and water accumulation hasn't been a problem.

Hehehe, mystery suicide attempt, how appropriate to describe what
happened.

I'll check that as I get time tomorrow and let you know the results.
Thanks for the thought.

bb

Curtis CCR January 27th 04 09:22 PM

Boat fell off trailer

Harry Krause wrote in message ...
[...]

Harry's procedure is similar to mine. I too usually get my feet wet
unhooking the winch strap and the safety chain from the bow. I
usually launch single handed so I want to make sure I have dock lines
in hand etc, before untethering the boat from the trailer.

When I first started launching, I tried the "use the brakes to toss
the boat" technique but was never comfortable with it. For one thing,
if you have to make an emergency stop while backing down the ramp, you
could dump the boat.

I prefer to leave the boat tethered to the trailer *at least* until
the bunk rails touch the water.