BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT--Sleazy politics...Dems caught TRYING TO EXTEND budget crisis (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/291-ot-sleazy-politics-dems-caught-trying-extend-budget-crisis.html)

NOYB July 22nd 03 05:58 PM

OT--Sleazy politics...Dems caught TRYING TO EXTEND budget crisis

See today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...7.story?coll=l
a-home-headlines

Here are some excerpts:

Los Angeles Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg and others discussed holding up
the budget to dramatize the consequences and build support for a ballot
initiative that would make it easier to raise taxes.

Fabian Nunez, also of Los Angeles, agreed. "If you don't have a budget, it
helps Democrats," he said.

"Excuse me, guys, you can be heard outside," an unidentified staff member
said.

"Oh [expletive], [expletive]," Goldberg said.

This sure sounds very similar to all of the hand-wringing that's going on in
Dem circles across the country as they sit hoping the economy doesn't
improve before November '04.

Joe July 22nd 03 06:04 PM

NOYB July 22nd 03 06:20 PM

OT--Sleazy politics...Dems caught TRYING TO EXTEND budget crisis

"NOYB" wrote in message
thlink.net...
"ClassicBoat" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:58:19 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

See today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...07.story?coll=
[...]

Unfortunately, they way we are headed, we may not *need* any help from
the democrats to extend or augment the budget crisis. The republicans
seem to be doing just fine on their own, with no help from anyone.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...07.story?coll=
la-home-headlines

Dammit. Here's the link:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H25A12A55

Gould 0738 July 22nd 03 09:35 PM

OT--Sleazy politics...Dems caught TRYING TO EXTEND budget crisis

NOYB wrote:

The article also mentions
that the Dems are trying to lower the threshold to pass new taxes from
66.67% to 55%...so they can railroad through some nice new tax *increases*.

Oh no! Not Majority Rule! We can't have that! What's next? Free speech? :-)

But oh, silly me. I forgot the lesson we were supposed to learn during the last
presidential election. 33.33 % is clearly enough votes to be a majority.....as
long as the votes are cast for the "proper" cause or candidate.

NOYB July 23rd 03 02:14 AM

OT--Sleazy politics...Dems caught TRYING TO EXTEND budget crisis

We're talking about changing a State's Constitution for the sole purpose of
making one party irrelevant. Wasn't it you, Gould, that was one of the
guys accusing me of wanting to do away with a two-party system?

Dems are the POH...Party of Hypocrites.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

The article also mentions
that the Dems are trying to lower the threshold to pass new taxes from
66.67% to 55%...so they can railroad through some nice new tax

*increases*.

Oh no! Not Majority Rule! We can't have that! What's next? Free speech?

:-)

Curtis CCR July 23rd 03 02:58 AM

"NOYB" wrote in message rthlink.net...
See today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...7.story?coll=l
a-home-headlines

Here are some excerpts:

Los Angeles Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg and others discussed holding up
the budget to dramatize the consequences and build support for a ballot
initiative that would make it easier to raise taxes.

Fabian Nunez, also of Los Angeles, agreed. "If you don't have a budget, it
helps Democrats," he said.

"Excuse me, guys, you can be heard outside," an unidentified staff member
said.

"Oh [expletive], [expletive]," Goldberg said.

I have been refraining from participating in the numerous politcal
threads, but this ****es me off. This state has been run by democrats
for four years, and it is this lack of self control and self serving
politics that are the cause of it.

Republicans engage is the same sort of ****ty politics, but the dems
are in charge in California and they have ****ED UP this state with
their reckless and indiodic spending. And this budget crisis has shed
sunlight on the stupidity.

You have Goldberg and her gaffe above. The you have others.... Jill
Stewart wrote in her column last week....

Excerpt-

Not long ago the state Assembly Appropriations Committee, faced with
California's $38.2 billion fiscal deficit and no easy fix, shelved one
proposed spending bill after another, spending being a pointless
topic. I watched as Committee Chairman Darrell Steinberg quietly noted
the only good news in Sacramento was that President George Bush was
sending California $2.4 billion in relief.

That relief, part of $20 billion set aside under Bush's tax bill, is
on its way to deficit-ridden states. Yet upon hearing news of the
inbound $2.4 billion, a member of the state Appropriations Committee
declared, "Well, maybe now we'll be able to fund some of these
programs we are talking about!"

I'll admit, I snorted reflexively. Then I perched forward in my seat
to see who had uttered such a thing. But my view was blocked as a
curious contingent of citizens in front craned their necks at the same
time.

A flurry of chattering spread as we of the peanut gallery glanced in
amazement at one another. These politicos, elected to represent us,
have driven the state to the brink of financial collapse with their
gross overspending, and some assemblywoman with a microphone glued to
her lips still doesn't get it?

Could this be right? Gray Davis and the majority Democrats are asking
taxpayers to cough up $8.3 billion in new taxes---including $4 billion
in tripled car registration fees, making California's by far the
highest in the nation---and Sacramento isn't going to use the $2.4
billion relief to pay down the deficit? ....

-End of Excerpt

No. They don't get it. With a deficit that is larger than entire
budget of most other states, they are STILL.... YES STILL...
proposing new spending for a bankrupt state.

But the people of California are ultimately to blame. We keep sending
these idiodic assholes back to Sacramento. The voters in this state
appear to be too stupid to see the connection between the financial
mess the state is in and the people they vote for.

NOYB July 23rd 03 01:07 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
We're talking about changing a State's Constitution for the sole purpose

of
making one party irrelevant. Wasn't it you, Gould, that was one of the
guys accusing me of wanting to do away with a two-party system?

Only the people can change a state constitution. Neither party in a state
legislature can rewrite the constitution at will,or we'd have 20 or 30 new
state constitutions each year as different parties took temporary control.

And NOYB, *you* said that you would prefer a one-party, (Republican)

system.
Nobody had to "accuse" you of anything.

I wouldn't mind a two, three, four, or more party system...as long as the
Democrats weren't one of 'em.

They've stooped to levels never before thought imaginable. In California,
they were plotting to *prolong* a crisis in which the poor are already
suffering just to further their political cause. Sickening!

Gould 0738 July 23rd 03 03:35 PM

OT--Sleazy politics...Dems caught TRYING TO EXTEND budget crisis

They've stooped to levels never before thought imaginable. In California,
they were plotting to *prolong* a crisis in which the poor are already
suffering just to further their political cause. Sickening!

Break out the violins. The poor? When did you guys ever give a schlitz about
the poor? Typical rhetoric, "All the poor really need is the same chance to get
rich that I had."

Besides, the definition of poor extends beyond people who are forced to drive
around in a three-year-old Mercedes Benz :-)

Curtis CCR July 23rd 03 06:53 PM

(Curtis CCR) wrote in message . com...
I have been refraining from participating in the numerous politcal
threads, but this ****es me off. This state has been run by democrats
for four years, and it is this lack of self control and self serving
politics that are the cause of it.

I should clarify here that the democrats have been running the
California legislature (both houses) for MORE than fours years. In
the last term of statewide officers, there was only one republican,
Secratary of State, Bill Jones. All other officers were democrats.

ALL statewide elected office are currently held by democrats. They
cannot blame anyone else for this financial fiasco. We went from a $9
billion surplus in 1998 to a $38 billion deficit today. It cannot be
argued that former governor Pete Wilson left Davis with an impending
recession. The economy did not start sliding until Davis was well
into his first term (and Clinton was still in the White House). And
spending continued to grow.

And you don't need to be a far-right-winger to blame this on the
democrats. These are not your average democrats running the state.
It has often been said that the lawmakers in Sacramento are much more
liberal than the voters that sent them there. Liberal California
politicians have admitted that. This state has been under control of
left wingers, and the current situation is the direct result of it.

NOYB July 23rd 03 11:18 PM

OT--Sleazy politics...Dems caught TRYING TO EXTEND budget crisis

So Harry is convinced that Bush is to blame for California's crisis, eh?
Big surprise.

It still doesn't explain why the Dems were caught trying to *prolong* the
crisis.

Hint: it benefits them politically...which makes them low-life scumbags.
Of course, that's something most of us already knew.