BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mercruiser 898 cooling question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/28464-mercruiser-898-cooling-question.html)

gunny February 23rd 05 09:14 PM

Mercruiser 898 cooling question

Cooling problem even Merc techs can't answer.
Engine temp at 200-210 F, exh manifolds port, 140-160 F, Stbd over 200 F.
Unit has new intake water pump and engine circ pump. Standard sea-water cooling.
Manifolds boiled out with acid, rodded, flushed. Equal water flow thru both on water flow test.
Exh elbows new, new thermostat, sender and guage, new engine circ pump.
No broken hosesand It appears it is determined to defy all laws of thermodynamics.

Why didn't I just satisfy my fishing urges from the bank ?????????

Any suggestions, other than put to sea, set fire and call Coast Guard ??

gunny
Semper Fi !!

John H February 23rd 05 10:06 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:14:04 GMT, "gunny" wrote:

Cooling problem even Merc techs can't answer.
Engine temp at 200-210 F, exh manifolds port, 140-160 F, Stbd over 200 F.
Unit has new intake water pump and engine circ pump. Standard sea-water cooling.
Manifolds boiled out with acid, rodded, flushed. Equal water flow thru both on water flow test.
Exh elbows new, new thermostat, sender and guage, new engine circ pump.
No broken hosesand It appears it is determined to defy all laws of thermodynamics.

Why didn't I just satisfy my fishing urges from the bank ?????????

Any suggestions, other than put to sea, set fire and call Coast Guard ??

gunny
Semper Fi !!

Could you have a crack in the exhaust manifold (stbd) allowing water into the
cylinders? Any water in the oil? How old are the exhaust manifolds? One of mine
(stbd) plugged itself when seven seasons (about 450 hrs) old. Are you getting a
good flow from both exhaust outlets at the rear of the boat? My first warning,
which I didn't heed, was a *big* difference in the flow from the port and stbd
exhaust outlets.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes

JR Gilbreath February 23rd 05 10:07 PM

If the engine has just started doing this I have no idea. If it started
after a rebuild I would strongly suspect that the head gasket has been
installed upside down and is blocking some water passages.
JR

Harry Krause February 26th 05 03:23 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:14:04 GMT, "gunny" wrote:

I was the lead R&D officer for the Mercruiser 898. One of my teams
better products.