BoatBanter.com

-   -   Setting up news reader (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/28265-setting-up-news-reader.html)

Ed February 18th 05 05:36 PM

Setting up news reader

Hi, sorry to be a pita, pain in the ass but i have selected to use
the Thunderbird-Mozilla news reader. Its asking me for the news group
server which i thought was rec.boats but not liking that server. Does
anyone have any idea what the correct server id is ?

Thanks
Ed

Dr. Jonathan Smithers, MD Phd. February 18th 05 05:41 PM

Yes, since you use aol, you will need to pay for a news server. All other
ISP's include a server as part of their service.

Try GigaNews for an excellent news server, or leave aol and get a better
ISP.

oups.com...

thunder February 18th 05 06:19 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:09:33 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

You have to subscribe separately to a news server. A good free one is
news.individual.net

I guess you haven't heard. As of April 1, news.individual.net will no
longer be free.

http://news.individual.net/

Harry Krause February 18th 05 06:52 PM

wrote:

Ed wrote:

Hi, sorry to be a pita, pain in the ass but i have selected to use
the Thunderbird-Mozilla news reader. Its asking me for the news group
server which i thought was rec.boats but not liking that server. Does
anyone have any idea what the correct server id is ?

Thanks
Ed

You have to subscribe separately to a news server. A good free one is
news.individual.net

Individual.net has announced that they will soon start charging a
monthly fee.

BB

If you don't know how to do this, email me and I will try to walk you
through it. But I don't know anything about AOL and do not know if you
can even access an outside news server through AOL. So, someone needs to
answer that question before I can help you.

Thanks. I took a lot and you're right.

Harry Krause February 18th 05 07:14 PM

wrote:

Ed wrote:

Hi, sorry to be a pita, pain in the ass but i have selected to use
the Thunderbird-Mozilla news reader. Its asking me for the news group
server which i thought was rec.boats but not liking that server. Does
anyone have any idea what the correct server id is ?
Thanks
Ed

You have to subscribe separately to a news server. A good free one is
news.individual.net

Individual.net has announced that they will soon start charging a
monthly fee.

BB

If you don't know how to do this, email me and I will try to walk you
through it. But I don't know anything about AOL and do not know if
you can even access an outside news server through AOL. So, someone
needs to answer that question before I can help you.

Thanks. I took a lot and you're right.

And my account there, which I haven't used in a while, still works.

John Wentworth February 19th 05 09:31 PM

Ed wrote:
Hi, sorry to be a pita, pain in the ass but i have selected to use
the Thunderbird-Mozilla news reader. Its asking me for the news group
server which i thought was rec.boats but not liking that server. Does
anyone have any idea what the correct server id is ?

Thanks
Ed

As others have said, AOL doesn't provide an NNTP (Network News Transport
Protocol) news server. The Mozilla webbrowser/email/news reader clients
are good, now you will need a news server to provide a connection to the
news groups. There are free news servers available (go to
http://www.newzbot.com/ to find one), but, many times, you get what you
pay for. The free servers may not be as fast,reliable, or
fully-featured, as the for-fee servers. Some are read-only, no posting
allowed. Some support limited number of news groups, or don't retain
messages for very long. That said; try some of the news servers listed
at newzbot.com, they might suit you.
If you are willing to pay a monthly fee there are many choices.

You may want to look at http://www.teranews.com/ . I have not used this
service, but they offer a "free-of-monthly-charges" account for a
one-time set-up fee of $3.95.

[email protected] February 20th 05 01:38 AM

On 2/18/05, Ed wrote:
the Thunderbird-Mozilla news reader. Its asking me for the news group
server

I've been using news.individual.net (http://news.individual.net) for
several years and recommend it highly. Yes they are switching from
free service to fee service on April 1 but only 10 Euros (about
$13.50) per year at current exchange rates.

Having said that, I'll probably drop it by April because my ISP
provides a news server at no extra charge and last time I used it, it
was reasonably decent.

Unless there's some specific reason for staying with AOL. I join
others in recommending that you find an alternative. There are better
choices at lower rates available and most furnish a news server thrown
in with the deal.

Rick