BoatBanter.com

-   -   Garmin 276C - Anybody? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/27538-garmin-276c-anybody.html)

[email protected] January 27th 05 08:29 PM

Garmin 276C - Anybody?

Does anybody have a Garmin 276C? I was wondering how the DSC features
of this thing work.

Matt

[email protected] January 28th 05 04:44 PM

Anybody?

[email protected] January 29th 05 07:08 PM

Come on Guys, someone's gotta have one of these things :)

Matt

Wayne.B January 29th 05 08:40 PM

On 27 Jan 2005 12:29:32 -0800, wrote:

I was wondering how the DSC features
of this thing work.

==================================

Exactly what is it you'd like to know?

You need a DSC capable radio to go with it. All the GPS does is
output your current position to the radio via an interface. If you
activate the DSC button on the radio, it broadcasts your encoced
position to the Coast Guard. Virtually an modern GPS with a data
output interface can do this.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

[email protected] January 29th 05 09:26 PM

Yep thats the basic interaction with a GPS but after reading the manual
of the 276C it looks (to me) as if the 276 does not just provide the
coordinates to the radio but ALSO receives coordinates from DSC mayday
and position reports FROM the VHF radio and then generates a waypoint
at the position.

However I didnt know that DSC works that way too ...

So imagine this: You receivce a DSC mayday (or position report from
your buddy) and the GPS generates a waypoint at that location. That
would be a pretty intersting feature,

Matt

Wayne.B January 30th 05 04:17 AM

On 29 Jan 2005 13:26:52 -0800, wrote:

So imagine this: You receivce a DSC mayday (or position report from
your buddy) and the GPS generates a waypoint at that location. That
would be a pretty intersting feature,

In 40 + years of boating I don't think I've ever heard a genuine
mayday on the radio. I'll leave it to the Coast Guard, thanks.

[email protected] January 30th 05 05:03 AM

yes that is a point but having this feature would be cool and dont
forget you can use DSC position reports with your friends ...

Matt