Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Hours, hours, hours

I know that this is a really, really broad question about engine hours
(that is below), but since I'm new here, I'll naively ask it anyway.

Having been a life-long sailor, I now have 4 kids and am in the power
boat mode. So, I am searching for a nice 1960's wooden cabin cruiser
in the 33'-38' foot range. Give or take a little if it's the right
boat. I don't want to spend a ton of money, either. Let's say my
budget is $12,000-$20,000.

I have seen a wide variety of these boats on the internet in a wide
variety of conditions. What I am interested in is a good, reliable boat
that I can take the family on weekend outings in the San Joaquin delta
or maybe SF Bay. The boat doesn't have too look factory new, but I
don't want it to look like its on its last legs either. Just solid and
presentable.

I've been around boats all of my life and I don't mind quaint, 40 year
old ways of doing things. That's part of the charm.

So here's the question: what is a reasonable number of hours that one
can expect from average type use on one of this type of boats? (see, I
told you it was a broad question).

Let's say a typical family owwner who doesn't push the boat that hard
that often and uses it a reasonable amount each year. With typical
maintenance what's reasonable? I see boats with 300 hours (good) and
1,600 hours (bad?) and I've read somewhere that about 1,000 is typical
(that's about 60,000 miles in auto speak if I drive 60 mph and get to
1,000 hours.

What can I use as a guide?

Thanks!