BoatBanter.com

-   -   Calif storm blows away tons of anchored boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/26760-calif-storm-blows-away-tons-anchored-boats.html)

Falky foo January 2nd 05 12:53 AM

Calif storm blows away tons of anchored boats

The storms that just passed through CA blew away 30+ boats in the A-8
anchorage in San Diego Bay. The boats were recovered by the harbor patrol
and cost owners around $300 to get out of impound. Mine had two hooks down
and was ok, and a number of others were fine, but that's a lot of boats to
blow away!

Jim January 2nd 05 03:42 AM

To those who have never seen the A-8 anchorage. . .it's as close to
Water world as you can get. Don't go if you are easily frightened.

Watch out for wrecks. I counted 8 sinkers the last time I was through
there.

You could wipe out half the anchorage and not do $300 damage.

Paul Schilter January 2nd 05 07:26 PM

Jim,
Being from Michigan I've never heard of an A-8 anchorage. Is there an
A-7 or A-9? Just what does A-8 mean?
Paul

link.net...

Falky foo January 2nd 05 09:19 PM

It's just a big-ass anchorage in San Diego.. biggest one on west coast
AFAIK. Yes there are A-1 thru A-n .. CA law designates them this way.

A-8 is definitely a freak show. Among other things, they used to have a
floating castle in the A-8. It was a huge barge that had castle walls,
several floors and one door to the outside. In the eighties it was a big
party barge with lots of outrageous drug and sex parties on it. But it was
banned and destroyed by the city.

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast dot net wrote in message
Jim,
Being from Michigan I've never heard of an A-8 anchorage. Is there an
A-7 or A-9? Just what does A-8 mean?
Paul

link.net...