BoatBanter.com

-   -   1985 OMC 3.8L V6 (GM 229 V6) (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/26743-1985-omc-3-8l-v6-gm-229-v6.html)

Radman January 1st 05 08:01 AM

1985 OMC 3.8L V6 (GM 229 V6)

Ok guys, I have a new question that I hope someone can answer for me. I
have a 1985 19ft Renken Boat that has a OMC 3.8L V6 engin(GM 229 3.8L
V6). I need new valve covers for it since the old one are rusted
through on the sealing flange and also a passanger side exaust
manifold, since the old one has cracks on the exaust flanges. I have
been unable to locate any replacments doing an internet search and am
hoping that someone out there might know where I can purchase new ones.
Thanks again in advance to anyone who can help me out.
Thanks, Radman...

Billgran January 1st 05 01:13 PM

"Radman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok guys, I have a new question that I hope someone can answer for me. I
have a 1985 19ft Renken Boat that has a OMC 3.8L V6 engin(GM 229 3.8L
V6). I need new valve covers for it since the old one are rusted
through on the sealing flange and also a passanger side exaust
manifold, since the old one has cracks on the exaust flanges. I have
been unable to locate any replacments doing an internet search and am
hoping that someone out there might know where I can purchase new ones.
Thanks again in advance to anyone who can help me out.
Thanks, Radman...

According to the old OMC parts book, the GM numbers for the valve covers are
as follows:

port 14025549
stb 14095080

Try a GM dealer if you cannot find anything aftermarket. The 4.3L engine of
the same year uses a different number valve cover. These GM part numbers may
be from their industrial engine division, so a car dealer may not show them
in his system. That is very common with marine parts.

Bill Grannis
service manager

BSCHNAUTZ January 6th 05 02:07 AM

have a 1985 19ft Renken Boat that has a OMC 3.8L V6 engin(GM 229 3.8L
V6). I need new valve covers for it since the old one are rusted
through on the sealing flange

I'm not sure , but I think the later year aluminum covers ont he automotive
engines will be a direct fit. ie, looks good, and no rust. Cheap? ought to get
them from any bone-yard salvage engines. GM made a blue-million of the things.
so that should be easy.

concerning your manifold though, I would thinkt hat would be a dealer item
only, unless OMC has discontinued them. Not sure about that.

good luck.

tim