BoatBanter.com

-   -   Montgomery Ward Parts (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/26367-montgomery-ward-parts.html)

[email protected] December 20th 04 12:01 AM

Montgomery Ward Parts

Hi all

I recently bought a seized up Montgomery Ward Sea King 12HP outboard of
mid 50 vintage, model GG9016A

After taking the head off and going to town banging on a closet pole
with a deadblow hammer, I got it unseized and turning nicely again. I
strongly suspect it will start again, once the compression is back (had
to obviously take the gasket off).

Where do I get parts (gasket, etc) for this engine? I am new to vintage
outboards, so any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Remco

Dixon December 20th 04 02:37 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

I recently bought a seized up Montgomery Ward Sea King 12HP outboard of
mid 50 vintage, model GG9016A

After taking the head off and going to town banging on a closet pole
with a deadblow hammer, I got it unseized and turning nicely again. I
strongly suspect it will start again, once the compression is back (had
to obviously take the gasket off).

Where do I get parts (gasket, etc) for this engine? I am new to vintage
outboards, so any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Remco

A nice addition to a Montgomery Ward Sea King 12HP would be a nice set of
oars.

Remco December 20th 04 03:06 AM

Thanks, I think...
I do need some nice period oars for a mid 50 wood dory I am restoring.
Do you have any?

Seriously, this one is made by OMC as far as I know. (Serial #
55X577583). Got it firing and sputtering, but have low compression due
to having a bad gasket. Has anyone used automotive rubber-in-a-tube
gasket for an application like this? I am tempted to try it, but don't
want to goof up the engine.

Remco

Calif Bill December 20th 04 03:54 AM

"Remco" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, I think...
I do need some nice period oars for a mid 50 wood dory I am restoring.
Do you have any?

Seriously, this one is made by OMC as far as I know. (Serial #
55X577583). Got it firing and sputtering, but have low compression due
to having a bad gasket. Has anyone used automotive rubber-in-a-tube
gasket for an application like this? I am tempted to try it, but don't
want to goof up the engine.

Remco

You might try a good lawnmower and chainsaw shop. They may have a cross
reference to a B &S or Clinton for it.

Remco December 20th 04 03:18 PM

Thanks, Bill!

That hadn't occurred to me - I have one in my neigborhood and pass it
every day.