BoatBanter.com

-   -   What Petrol/Oil Mix for Evinrude 50 (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/26322-what-petrol-oil-mix-evinrude-50-a.html)

Tony December 18th 04 12:41 AM

What Petrol/Oil Mix for Evinrude 50

Hi
Could anyone out there advise me as to the petrol/oil mix for an 80s
vintage Evinrude 50
thanks anyone

Proxy December 18th 04 07:21 AM

After having no issue with my (sold) old gear (100Hp Johnson 1971) that did
not want to quit I have doubts about oil quality impact here. Can't imagine
all previous owners always have bought top stuff (?!). My conclusion would
be: never run the engine without the oil or wrong (too little oil) ratio.
That is a true killer. Ironically my engine seemed happier with lower end
brands (mainly Johnson) - less smoke and more even idle. Try to figure
that...

. ..

Short Wave Sportfishing December 18th 04 12:01 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:21:43 -0500, "Proxy" wrote:

After having no issue with my (sold) old gear (100Hp Johnson 1971) that did
not want to quit I have doubts about oil quality impact here. Can't imagine
all previous owners always have bought top stuff (?!). My conclusion would
be: never run the engine without the oil or wrong (too little oil) ratio.
That is a true killer. Ironically my engine seemed happier with lower end
brands (mainly Johnson) - less smoke and more even idle. Try to figure
that...

Dosen't surprize me - less additives/detergents, etc.

Later,

Tom

tony thomas December 18th 04 05:21 PM

Johnson oil is not a lower end oil. It is the manufacturer oil. That would
be considered name brand.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com
"Proxy" wrote in message
After having no issue with my (sold) old gear (100Hp Johnson 1971) that
did
not want to quit I have doubts about oil quality impact here. Can't
imagine
all previous owners always have bought top stuff (?!). My conclusion would
be: never run the engine without the oil or wrong (too little oil) ratio.
That is a true killer. Ironically my engine seemed happier with lower end
brands (mainly Johnson) - less smoke and more even idle. Try to figure
that...

. ..

name December 18th 04 08:32 PM

"Proxy" wrote in message
After having no issue with my (sold) old gear (100Hp Johnson 1971) that

did
not want to quit I have doubts about oil quality impact here. Can't

imagine
all previous owners always have bought top stuff (?!). My conclusion would
be: never run the engine without the oil or wrong (too little oil) ratio.
That is a true killer. Ironically my engine seemed happier with lower end
brands (mainly Johnson) - less smoke and more even idle. Try to figure
that...

When I said to use a good quality oil I did not mean that you have to use
THE BEST quality oil that you can find. What I really meant was DO NOT use
a crappy cheapo oil. Any of the major manufacturers' oils like Johnson is
good. It's just not worth it to buy the cheapest oil you can find to save a
few cents....especially if you are not exactly sure about the mixture ratio.
You have more leeway on the mixture ratio if you use a good oil than if you
use a lousy oil, that was my point.

Paul Jenny& Matt December 19th 04 09:31 AM

My dealer told me to only use "yammylube" in my 130 HP yamaha. Or i will
void my warranty.( he noticed an empty Valvolene oild bottle in the boat at
service.) Both oils comform to the standard that is specified in the hand
book ( TCW3) the Valvolene is about $5.00 cheaper for 4 litres than the
Yammy lube. I cant see any reason to use anything different. even the hand
book says to use Yammy lube or a TCW3 oil.
Paul.

Short Wave Sportfishing December 19th 04 10:56 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:31:22 +1000, "Paul Jenny& Matt"
wrote:

My dealer told me to only use "yammylube" in my 130 HP yamaha. Or i will
void my warranty.( he noticed an empty Valvolene oild bottle in the boat at
service.) Both oils comform to the standard that is specified in the hand
book ( TCW3) the Valvolene is about $5.00 cheaper for 4 litres than the
Yammy lube. I cant see any reason to use anything different. even the hand
book says to use Yammy lube or a TCW3 oil.

Your dealer is wrong. The warranty is spec'd out to TCW3 and any oil
that conforms to that standard is valid. That does not mean that
Yamalube doesn't have a "special" ingredient though.

Later,

Tom

Proxy December 23rd 04 04:21 AM

Go by what the book and common sense tells you, not what the dealer wishes
you to do.
We'd be all benkrupt long ago if they had it their way.

Proxy