BoatBanter.com

-   -   Steam in exhaust (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/261-steam-exhaust.html)

Grampa Bob July 21st 03 01:19 AM

Steam in exhaust

My question oncerns my Ford 352 inboard motor. It is a V8 with each
side having its own risers and exhaust pipes. For about three years I
have noticed steam mixed with the exhaust water on the port side.
This is slowly increasing in amount and now the temp gauge shows the
running temp to be higher, about 190 rather than the usual 180. Also,
the riser on the port side feels a bit warmer than that on the right.
It still runs fine, although the steam is a bit more marked since I
installed an electronic ignition. What are the possible causes of
this and how can I make a diagnosis?

Wayne.B July 21st 03 02:02 AM

Steam in exhaust

On 20 Jul 2003 17:19:58 -0700, (Grampa Bob) wrote:
My question oncerns my Ford 352 inboard motor. It is a V8 with each
side having its own risers and exhaust pipes. For about three years I
have noticed steam mixed with the exhaust water on the port side.
This is slowly increasing in amount and now the temp gauge shows the
running temp to be higher, about 190 rather than the usual 180. Also,
the riser on the port side feels a bit warmer than that on the right.
It still runs fine, although the steam is a bit more marked since I
installed an electronic ignition. What are the possible causes of
this and how can I make a diagnosis?

This is usually a result of insufficient cooling water flow through
the manifolds and/or risers. Check your strainers, pump, etc., but
it's also possible that the manifolds or risers are becoming blocked
by corrosion and need to be flushed out or replaced.

John Gaquin July 21st 03 03:46 AM

Steam in exhaust

"Grampa Bob" wrote in message
om...
My question oncerns my Ford 352 inboard motor. It is a V8 with each
side having its own risers and exhaust pipes. For about three years I
have noticed steam....

The manifolds, risers, and elbows are cast iron parts that are considered
replacable. They corrode over the years, particularly in seawater. The
crucial problem is that if you corrode through from the exhaust chamber to
the water jacket, you could wind up leaking seawater into a cylinder through
the exhaust valve. This is generally not considered a good thing.
Questions:

How long have you been running the boat?
How long since the manifolds/risers/elbows replaced? Nominal life generally
5-10 years, sometimes longer if you're lucky, often closer to the low end in
salt water.
Is the engine raw-water cooled, or do you run glycol in the block?
Are you running in salt water, or fresh?

Pop the risers and elbows and take a look. If the water jackets are clogged
with flaky, rusty crud, replace. Then pull the manifolds and have them
cleaned out at least. Possible replacement.

JG

Keith July 21st 03 01:25 PM

Steam in exhaust

This is excellent advice. If you don't, and water gets in the engine, it'll
really mess it up, if not destroy it. Don't ask me how I know this.

--

Keith
__
"John Gaquin" wrote in message