BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ok to break in new outboard in a tank? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2601-ok-break-new-outboard-tank.html)

bobl December 30th 03 11:34 PM

Ok to break in new outboard in a tank?

Just bought a new boat and motors (8 hp and 90 hp hondas) and was
wondering if it would be acceptable to perform some of the break in
hours in my driveway using a tank filled with water. I have access to
some large stock feeder tanks and had heard that this was actually
done by some dealers. Any advice?
thanks!

Clams Canino December 31st 03 12:29 AM

Ok to break in new outboard in a tank?

It's better to do it on the trailer on the ramp - so you can vary speeds and
loads a bit.

But running them both 1/2 hour in the tank will only help speed up the break
in

-W

bobl December 31st 03 01:02 AM

Ok to break in new outboard in a tank?

Thanks for the reply. I'm just after a few extra easy break in hours.
I need to get these things broken in before a long trip in late May
and I'm not near any boatable water (at least until the nearest
reservoirs are drawn up after the winter draw down.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:29:10 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

It's better to do it on the trailer on the ramp - so you can vary speeds and
loads a bit.

But running them both 1/2 hour in the tank will only help speed up the break
in

-W

.. .

Me December 31st 03 06:09 PM

"bobl" wrote in message
Just bought a new boat and motors (8 hp and 90 hp hondas) and was
wondering if it would be acceptable to perform some of the break in
hours in my driveway using a tank filled with water. I have access to
some large stock feeder tanks and had heard that this was actually
done by some dealers. Any advice?
thanks!

I suppose as long as you can put the motors under resonable load (i.e your
tanks are big enough) is it can't do any halm.

Could be a tedious job though!

Griss January 22nd 04 11:19 PM

"Me" wrote in message

"bobl" wrote in message
Just bought a new boat and motors (8 hp and 90 hp hondas) and was
wondering if it would be acceptable to perform some of the break in
hours in my driveway using a tank filled with water. I have access to
some large stock feeder tanks and had heard that this was actually
done by some dealers. Any advice?
thanks!

I suppose as long as you can put the motors under resonable load (i.e your
tanks are big enough) is it can't do any halm.

Could be a tedious job though!

Could be kind of noisy too, so consider your neighbors. A few 1/2 hour
sessions might be the way to go to remedy both problems. I would think a
stock tank would provide enough load. I'll also bet that normal break in
procedures won't be too awful to comply with on a long trip (but then again,
I can't remember the last time I broke in a new motor - too cheap to buy new
these days!). Why not ask the dealer you bought from?

Harry Krause January 22nd 04 11:35 PM

Griss wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

"bobl" wrote in message
[...]

Our 2003 Yamaha 225 four cycle calls for a 10-hour break in. The
dealership has a back-right-down into it freshwater tank, so the engine
spent the first hour of its operating life on the boat on the trailer in
that tank, running at the specified throttle settings and being checked
over carefully by the mechanic.

So, the answer to your query is, yes, you can certainly partially break
in your new engines in the tank.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Christopher Robin January 23rd 04 02:06 AM

Harry Krause wrote in message ...

Our 2003 Yamaha 225 four cycle calls for a 10-hour break in. The
dealership has a back-right-down into it freshwater tank, so the engine
spent the first hour of its operating life on the boat on the trailer in
that tank, running at the specified throttle settings and being checked
over carefully by the mechanic.

So, the answer to your query is, yes, you can certainly partially break
in your new engines in the tank.

Hey Hairball, do you have a furrin motor????????

Hypocrasy revealed, Mr Labor Union.

basskisser January 23rd 04 06:49 PM

(Christopher Robin) wrote in message . com...
Harry Krause wrote in message ...

Our 2003 Yamaha 225 four cycle calls for a 10-hour break in. The
dealership has a back-right-down into it freshwater tank, so the engine
spent the first hour of its operating life on the boat on the trailer in
that tank, running at the specified throttle settings and being checked
over carefully by the mechanic.

So, the answer to your query is, yes, you can certainly partially break
in your new engines in the tank.

Hey Hairball, do you have a furrin motor????????

Hypocrasy revealed, Mr Labor Union.

Hey, stupid person, Yammy has factories right here in the U.S., and
yes, they are using organized labor.

Boots Crofoot February 1st 04 08:44 PM

Ok to break in new outboard in a tank?

not good to run the engine in a tank as the water in the
tank will get hot from the engine exhaust and not cool your
engine properly
"noah" wrote in
message ...
On 22 Jan 2004 18:06:22 -0800,
(Christopher Robin)
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message

Our 2003 Yamaha 225 four cycle calls for a 10-hour break

in. The
dealership has a back-right-down into it freshwater tank,

so the engine
spent the first hour of its operating life on the boat on

the trailer in
that tank, running at the specified throttle settings and

being checked
over carefully by the mechanic.

So, the answer to your query is, yes, you can certainly

partially break
in your new engines in the tank.

Hey Hairball, do you have a furrin motor????????

Hypocrasy revealed, Mr Labor Union.

Skipper, Is that you?

Love the name-calling.
Sure to get votes.
Hypocrisy.
"...(by the way, that's the correct spelling, "hypocrisy,"
not "hypocracy" which
can be roughly translated to mean 'government by a fixative
salt used in
photographic processing' - a novel political concept to be
sure, but one
irrelevant to the discussion at hand)..."
Fixative salts, however, can be useful. :o)
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. :o)

Ian Malcolm February 2nd 04 12:13 AM

Boots Crofoot wrote:

not good to run the engine in a tank as the water in the
tank will get hot from the engine exhaust and not cool your
engine properly

This time of year? LoL

*please* figure out how much petrol it would take to heat an oildrum
full of water from say 5 deg C to 45 deg C.

If its small enough to run in a drum, heating isnt a serious problem.

The trouble starts when people try to run inboards out of a bucket or
small dum.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961