BoatBanter.com

-   -   ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2570-ugly-permanent-boat-rug-carpet-options.html)

[email protected] December 29th 03 05:44 AM

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options?

18 foot 1999 bayliner Capri Cuddy with really ugly, faded, stained
grey exterior carpet on the floor. The floor wood appears to be in
perfect shape. Between the carpet and plywood floor is some kind of
grey appoxy that's sealing the non-PT/marine grade plywood.

I'd like to have somebody remove the carpet from just the floor (not
the side walls or chair frames) and replace it with some black or dark
grey rubber like material - non skid.

Does such a material even exist - thinking of that rubber floor you
see in the ramps at disyey with the circle pattern??

Will ripping out the rug pull up chuncks of that appoxy? wood?

What can I expect to pay for this job? - a 5 x 8 sheet of rubber will
cover the space.

drn December 29th 03 06:18 AM

wrote:
18 foot 1999 bayliner Capri Cuddy with really ugly, faded, stained
grey exterior carpet on the floor. The floor wood appears to be in
perfect shape. Between the carpet and plywood floor is some kind of
grey appoxy that's sealing the non-PT/marine grade plywood.

I'd like to have somebody remove the carpet from just the floor (not
the side walls or chair frames) and replace it with some black or dark
grey rubber like material - non skid.

Does such a material even exist - thinking of that rubber floor you
see in the ramps at disyey with the circle pattern??

Will ripping out the rug pull up chuncks of that appoxy? wood?

What can I expect to pay for this job? - a 5 x 8 sheet of rubber will
cover the space.

Maybe consider a product like Rhino Lining, could be a do it yourself
equivalnet out there somehwere. When I first saw the product I thought
it would be a great surface for a boat.

[email protected] December 29th 03 04:59 PM

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options?

Follow-up on my own question...

Can anybody comment on the following two products?

LONSEAL loncoin - rubber floor

Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring - vynl floor made to look like carpet.

Kind of hestitant to just start ripping out my old carpet as I'm not
sure how much raw wood will be exposed. Also wondering, the floor is
not flat, it curves up on the sides and in the front there's a 5" inch
step where the front passanger and captian rest their feet while
sitting. How would I do 90 degree angles with these products? cut?

I know the Nautolex is inexpensive - maybe $50 to do the job. How much
will Loncoin (about 5 x 8) cost me?

Also, thinking.. the rug appears to be on so tight, wonder if there
are any other options/products - maybe something I can apply right
over the carpet that will harden to a rough - shiny finish.

What about drains.. I'm still puzzled as to how water that gets in
get's into the bilge - there's a tiny drain on Capri in the front, but
most water goes to the back... As ugly as the carpet is, (as hard as
it is to believe) it seems very water tight and does not appear it
will ever rot - don't want to screw that up unless whatever I do
performs as well.

Calif Bill December 29th 03 07:41 PM

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options?

My boat has the Nautolex. Going to replace it after 13 years. Works well,
looks good. Has got some oil stains and a couple of small rips after all
these years.
Bill

om...

[email protected] December 29th 03 11:07 PM

"Calif Bill" wrote in message hlink.net...
My boat has the Nautolex. Going to replace it after 13 years. Works well,
looks good. Has got some oil stains and a couple of small rips after all
these years.
Bill

Curious - I have not actually seen it - or maybe I have. I thought the
product was a hard tectured surface. Or Is it just like carpet only
sealed? Not sure now if what my boat has is this or marine carpet - is
there a difference? What I have looks like carpet, vacuums like carpet
.... I'm looking for something that can be mopped clean.

Calif Bill December 29th 03 11:37 PM

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options?

It is a hard textured surface. Actually, it is about a 1/16" thick cloth
backed vinyl texured surface. Does get a little slippery with frost. West
Marine catalog online has pictures I think.
Bill

wrote in message
om...

hlink.net...

Bill Andersen December 30th 03 06:31 AM

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options?

As for drains...
My 1998 Capri 1950CL (Bowrider with I/O) has a 1" hole in each side of the
engine box, at the rear - just forward of the access space to the battery
compartment. The carpet on my boat covered the holes and it took a long time
for the water to soak through. I discovered that the first time I hosed out
the inside of the boat! I cut the carpet with a utility knife.
My three forward compartments drain into the ski locker, which then drains
into the bilge. Any water in the cockpit that doesn't drain into the ski
locker flows aft and drains through those two holes into the bilge.
If you put in new flooring, put corks in the engine compartment drain holes
first, to keep them from being sealed or covered over, then remove them when
the job is done.

[email protected] December 30th 03 09:00 PM

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options?

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message news:B48Ib.40984$J77.20540@fed1read07...
As for drains...

Thanks for the valueable info... will do the same I'm sure.

We have very similar boats. A few things about mine (which I just
purchased used).. also I/O. When I first the lift the cover on it, the
smell of Gas fumes is overwheling - while running and with the top off
no issue. I've checked for leakes and the lines and all appears to be
okay. My boat has a cuddy and was hoping to stay the night in it one
day, but did not anticipate such a strong Gasoline odor.

Also, by any chance, have you ever drilled into the upper lips of the
hull? Do you think these boats could support a 1.5" t-top(like) pipes
on the outer lip. I'm looking for a way to carry two 12" kayaks on
top. I've never seen this, just have the crazy idea it might work.

Thanks again for the info.

Bill Andersen December 31st 03 06:46 PM

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options?

I'd be concerned about the gas fumes. I'm not a mechanic and my
troubleshooting would be limited to checking the hoses, too. But if you
don't find any trace of fuel on either the fill or vent hoses...is the spark
arrestor clean, how clean is the engine? Mine's clean, so I always check to
make sure everything's clean and dry. After five years of heavey service, I
now have to wipe clean some oil residue around the breather on top of the
engine.
I have drillled many holes in the boat. The first were to mount a fire
extinguisher bracket, and I used screws that were 1/16th too long--still
haven't removed them and patched the hull.
I added cleats and used metal backing plates. BoatUS has several sizes in
stock from less than $5. I also added Perko fender clips, using just screws.
OK for normal use, but I'll be adding backing plates to them since I had one
screw pull out when someone crashed into the dock instead of going in very
slowly.
I also added a wakeboard tower from Joystick Pylon. It comes with very think
mounting blocks and backup plates to distribute the stress. After several
years, it's still secure. It also serves as my radar arch: radar, VHF
antenna, all around light are all mounted to it. I think budget towers are
available for less than $1000. and you might be able to use that to carry
kayaks, or take a picture to a metal shop and ask them to create a kayak
rack based on that design.

om...