BoatBanter.com

-   -   Favorite New 23? Used 25? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/25695-favorite-new-23-used-25-a.html)

Tudor November 30th 04 03:01 AM

Favorite New 23? Used 25?

This is probably going to sound like a very open-ended question, but
if you were an inexperienced sailor looking to buy a new 23 foot
sailboat with a swing keel to be primarily used in river and bay
cruising, what would you choose?

And how about if you were looking for a used 25 foot sailboat with a
swing keel in very good condition under $10,000?

Didereaux November 30th 04 03:33 PM

(Tudor) wrote in news:627f90dc.0411291901.18e8f690
@posting.google.com:

This is probably going to sound like a very open-ended question, but
if you were an inexperienced sailor looking to buy a new 23 foot
sailboat with a swing keel to be primarily used in river and bay
cruising, what would you choose?

And how about if you were looking for a used 25 foot sailboat with a
swing keel in very good condition under $10,000?

Well, considering the quality of todays boats I'd never even consider
buying a new one(production line crap)

Now as to that used 25' First forget that swing keel, nothing but a pain
in the arse. You can find some VERY fine keel boats in the 3' draft
range (you really aren't considering 'beaching' a 25 are you? ;) My pick
in that area would be a Cape Dory 25 (3ft draft, elegant...and the FINEST
rough weather boat built for its size). Also it is easily rigged for
single handing. Just my biased opinion, of course, but after many years
that is exactly what I finally bought for those exact reasons. I sail
Galveston Bay mostly and damn few rivers are as shallow, shoally and just
plain rough as that body of water is.

didereaux
CD-25 Spring Gail

--
"Let bygones be bygones...send a concilliatory PRETZEL to the
Whitehouse!"

John Cairns December 1st 04 11:27 PM

"Tudor" wrote in message
om...
This is probably going to sound like a very open-ended question, but
if you were an inexperienced sailor looking to buy a new 23 foot
sailboat with a swing keel to be primarily used in river and bay
cruising, what would you choose?

And how about if you were looking for a used 25 foot sailboat with a
swing keel in very good condition under $10,000?

Catalina 25. Light enough to be trailered, a lot of them around so there's
always a good selection, and, if you're real lucky, you might be able to
find a late model wing keel. This is not the current model Catalina 250, the
previous model Catalina 25.
John Cairns

Dave Isaacson December 2nd 04 04:43 PM

Tudor wrote:

This is probably going to sound like a very open-ended question, but
if you were an inexperienced sailor looking to buy a new 23 foot
sailboat with a swing keel to be primarily used in river and bay
cruising, what would you choose?

And how about if you were looking for a used 25 foot sailboat with a
swing keel in very good condition under $10,000?

I just bought a used American Mariner 8M (26') Sloop. It is a GREAT
sailboat. It has 28" draft and my wife and I have spent lots of weekends
on board. The boat sleeps 4 very comfortably and has a very roomy cockpit.
The down side is that this boat isn't made anymore. Mine is a 1975 model
and I picked it up for $3,500!!!
Dave Isaacson

Matt O'Toole December 3rd 04 01:56 AM

John Cairns wrote:

"Tudor" wrote in message
om...

This is probably going to sound like a very open-ended question, but
if you were an inexperienced sailor looking to buy a new 23 foot
sailboat with a swing keel to be primarily used in river and bay
cruising, what would you choose?

And how about if you were looking for a used 25 foot sailboat with a
swing keel in very good condition under $10,000?

Catalina 25. Light enough to be trailered, a lot of them around so
there's always a good selection, and, if you're real lucky, you might
be able to find a late model wing keel. This is not the current model
Catalina 250, the previous model Catalina 25.

Catalina are always a good bet because the factory still supports every boat
they ever made. They're popular too, which makes them easy to find, easy to
find parts and knowledge for, and eventually easy to sell. The 22 has an active
racing fleet too, which is another thing to look for. Find out what's being
raced in your area.

Matt O.