Rex Sanders

Default Grand Canyon - three recent river-related deaths

Three river-related deaths in the Grand Canyon since September.

November 22: Flip at Mile 77 during the 60-hour 41,000 cfs
experimental flood, but NPS "would not say whether the increased water
flow caused the accident" according to other reports.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/pphtml/newsdetail15312.html

September 15: Probable fall into river at night while camped at Mile 118.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/media/15sep04.htm

September 7: 15 foot fall in North Canyon (Mile 20)
http://www.nps.gov/grca/media/2-7sep04.htm

My sympathies to everyone involved.

-- Rex
Bobo

September 15: Probable fall into river at night while camped at Mile 118.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/media/15sep04.htm

I had a very similar incident to the drowning on Sept 15 while
paddling the Grand Canyon about 10 years ago.

You're told to drink plenty of water and **** in the river. I woke
up in the middle of the night needing to ****. Still half asleep, I
walked to the river without a flashlight. I remembered looking at the
ground to look for the color contrast between the ground (light
colored sand) and the water. That wasn't a good idea. I walked right
off a sand bluff and dropped about 2 feet into the river. Luckily for
me, I dropped into an eddy and I was able to swim back to shore. I
was so scared I ****ed in my pants.

If I hadn't dropped into an eddy, I could have easily been swept
downstream and no one would have heard my cry for help because
everyone would have been asleep or couldn't hear me over the roar of
the river.
riverman

"Rex Sanders" wrote in message
Three river-related deaths in the Grand Canyon since September.

November 22: Flip at Mile 77 during the 60-hour 41,000 cfs
experimental flood, but NPS "would not say whether the increased water
flow caused the accident" according to other reports.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/pphtml/newsdetail15312.html

September 15: Probable fall into river at night while camped at Mile 118.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/media/15sep04.htm

September 7: 15 foot fall in North Canyon (Mile 20)
http://www.nps.gov/grca/media/2-7sep04.htm

My sympathies to everyone involved.

Any names?

--riverman

Mtkkburk

Rex Sanders wrote:

September 15: Probable fall into river at night while camped at Mile 118.

Wow, that is exactly what happened to my wife about 3 years ago also in the
Grand Canyon. We were camping up in Redrock Canyon, probably about 2 days out
of Lee's Ferry. My wife got up at about midnight or so and went down to the
river to ****. She stood on a rock that she had used earlier that evening, but
didn't notice that the river had gone down considerably. As she moved towards
the edge of the rock she slipped and gashed her shin and fell into the water.
We were camped above a rapid (I forget which) but she fell into an eddy. She
got out of the water easily enough, but was scraped up on the shin pretty
badly. She walked back to where we were sleeping and woke me up to the sight
of this bloody shin in my face. We got her patched up, but the thought of what
might have happened if she had fallen in moving water sent chills up my spine,
and kept me thinking the rest of the night.

Mike