BoatBanter.com

-   -   Why 'is' online purchacing no cheaper than local retail! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/25301-why-online-purchacing-no-cheaper-than-local-retail.html)

Spear Chucky November 18th 04 02:51 PM

Why 'is' online purchacing no cheaper than local retail!

I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00 online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

So what ever happened to the incentive to buy online?
--
SC
Proverbs 29:2

Yee'haaaaaaaaaaa

Short Wave Sportfishing November 18th 04 02:58 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:51:52 -0500, "Spear Chucky"
wrote:

I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00 online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

So what ever happened to the incentive to buy online?

Used to be you could actually have an honest auction on eBay too.

That's life.

Later,

Tom

Glarb Shattenstein November 18th 04 03:45 PM

PLONK

Gary Warner November 18th 04 09:40 PM

"Spear Chucky" wrote in message
I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Some things are consistently cheaper online than at "brick & mortar" stores.
Usually the
things that are cheaper are commodity items, items that sell in very large
quantity (millions
of units), items that need little/no support in selecting or using the item,
etc. Scuba gear
and cigar manufacturers & distributors might know that many people buy their
items
based on dealer recomendations and placement of their items in their stores.
Dealers
won't place the items in their stores if they know that they are being sold
on the internet
for less money. Especially if it's WAY less money.

Another way to look at it: Even though the local dealer is charging about
the same as the
guy on the interent...if there was no internet guy, the local dealer might
be charging
a LOT more. So you are still winning.

JohnH November 18th 04 10:22 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:45:16 GMT, "Glarb Shattenstein"
wrote:

PLONK

Hell, scuba stuff is a lot more boat related than 80% of the stuff
that gets posted here! Can't imagine getting 'plonked' for that.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

K. Smith November 18th 04 11:34 PM

Spear Chucky wrote:
I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00 online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

So what ever happened to the incentive to buy online?

It's retailing in general, forget genuine supply vs demand & certainly
lower overheads by a retailer aren't allowed to mean cheaper retail prices.

There are lots of little "tricks" to get around most competition laws
in most jurisdictions.

For instance in the marine industry most reasonably dear things
(radios, GPS, even down to safety gear) are invoiced to
retailers/dealers at "almost" the full retail price usually within
7%-10% of the recommended retail price.

The retailer never actually pays this "invoice" amount because then the
suppliers offer rebates, cost sharing, tech training, finance subsidies
etc etc , the list of ways that the retailer gets their real profit is
as endless as a spruikers ability to dream up a new name, usually just
referred to a "rebates" I call them what they are; secret kickbacks.

The "trick" is that all these ways of getting a "profit" back to the
retailer are "discretionary" i.e. the retailer has no contractual right
to them & it's just at the whim of the supplier.

This way the suppliers can keep control of the retail price, none of
them want real open competition because then prices in general wouldn't
be maximised against the consumer.

Also they can get the general consumer to cross subsidise pricing as
the supplier sees fit; e.g. a high volume OB motor seller in Florida
would get less aggregate of "unrelated" kickbacks than say a very low
volume OB seller in a snowy/frozen short season place who would have
their business "managed" by the franchise owner so they can survive
(just:-)) with things like extra "winter storage", or "off season"
rebates etc etc etc AND the retail price of OB engines remains the same
to the consumer no matter where they are. Believe it of not converted
back to US$ the price of US made OBs is the same here in Oz as it is in
the US some models even less:-)

If any retailer actually dropped retail pricing or worse still
advertised lower prices than the RRP less around 7% or say sold more
than the occasional engine outside their designated area, then first
they'd by chipped about it at the next dealer get together (fully paid
for by the supplier just another way of getting rebates to them) then if
that retailer didn't fall into line??? oops they would see a backing off
in their regular flow of rebates, till they did fall back into line.

Years ago it was only big ticket items, cars, boats, motors etc that
were sold this way, but as competition laws have increased banning
uncompetitive restrictions/practices, so to the creativity of the retail
chain to get around them, now almost everything is on a "rebate", that's
one of the reasons they hate walmart etc so much; sometimes just
sometimes:-) they actually compete.

The online people must be making a bundle because they have no
overheads & still get full retail from you & then full rebates down the
line from the supplier as reward for not competing on price.

The OMC dealers took the OMC administrator to court when it went belly
up (as it well deserved with Ficht) claiming they had a "verbal"
contract for rebates totaling 30% (imagine those dealer thieves were
pocketing 30% on a 15,000 OB engine they didn't even have to pay for!!!)
if they sold Ficht engines, in court the administrator argued "rebates"
are discretionary & OMC was under no obligation to pay any of them to
anyone, further the dealers owed the administrator the full "invoiced"
price on outstanding invoices:-) the administrator won, her Honour was
wise:-)

See that ****** who plonked you missed out of some good info:-)

Spear Chucky November 19th 04 02:31 AM

"Falky foo" wrote in message
. com...
my question is, why do you put 'is' between apostraphes?

It's a Clintonian expression

Jim November 19th 04 02:43 AM

Spear Chucky wrote:

I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00 online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

So what ever happened to the incentive to buy online?

Scuba equipment, like boating equipment and accessories, don't fall into
the commodities category. Wth Scuba, I've always preferred to deal
locally. These are the folks that not only need your business, but you
need theirs! i.e. equipment maintenance. Imagine if you had to mail
your regulator somewhere to get serviced.

-Jim

Short Wave Sportfishing November 19th 04 11:37 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:26:07 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

brokenlegdave has good prices and service on marine electronics. I've
bought a lot of stuff from him over the years.

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/

Dude - thanks for that link.

I'm looking to add a small boat radar to my Ranger, but really
couldn't justify the cost for a 20' bay boat.

That was great - thanks.

Later,

Tom

QL November 19th 04 03:39 PM

I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds and then received a "2nd chance offer" from
each of these sellers which can only make me think that the seller was
bidding against me as long as I would continue to bid and then contacting me
as though the winning bidder had reneged. Hell!, I bought a new 2005
Rancher for only $500 more than a used 2004. Boats can still be bought at
a good price on Ebay but buyer beware.
BTW, the Honda dealer in Elkins W.Va sold me a 2005 Rancher for $4453 OTD,
which was $546 cheaper than I could get it in Texas. Since we were going to
WV to deer hunt anyway, we just picked it up there. so if you need a 4
wheeler.......
QL

P.Fritz November 19th 04 04:30 PM

"QL" wrote in message news:atond.2$TG2.1@trnddc01...
I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds and then received a "2nd chance offer" from
each of these sellers which can only make me think that the seller was
bidding against me as long as I would continue to bid and then contacting
me
as though the winning bidder had reneged. Hell!, I bought a new 2005
Rancher for only $500 more than a used 2004. Boats can still be bought
at
a good price on Ebay but buyer beware.
BTW, the Honda dealer in Elkins W.Va sold me a 2005 Rancher for $4453 OTD,
which was $546 cheaper than I could get it in Texas. Since we were going
WV to deer hunt anyway, we just picked it up there. so if you need a 4
wheeler.......
QL

I've seen plenty of items bid up higher on ebay than you can buy directly
elsewhere online.

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in
message

Short Wave Sportfishing November 19th 04 04:43 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:39:50 GMT, "QL" wrote:

I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds and then received a "2nd chance offer" from
each of these sellers which can only make me think that the seller was
bidding against me as long as I would continue to bid and then contacting me
as though the winning bidder had reneged. Hell!, I bought a new 2005
Rancher for only $500 more than a used 2004. Boats can still be bought at
a good price on Ebay but buyer beware.

I know for a fact that this is a standard practice on eBay and can
introduce you to several folks who practice this on a regular basis.
I know a "purchaser" who has one of those quadruple bizzillion highest
quality buyer rating who hasn't bought anything from or on eBay in
three or four years.

Consider this. I bid on some red Cajun line, 8 lb test and I put a
price on it equal to what I can buy it from Bass Pro Shops plus
shipping and handling. The same person over bid against me raising
the price to a ridiculous level, won the "auction" and I get an email
from the seller saying he's willing to knock off a couple of bucks off
the highest bid - did I want the line? At twice the price (when
shipping/handling was included) of Bass Pro Shops.

Yeah right.

eBay was great for a while, but if you want to buy something, get it
on sale at a retailers web site or just go to a store - eBay sucks.

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

JimH November 19th 04 05:09 PM

"QL" wrote in message news:atond.2$TG2.1@trnddc01...
I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds ..snip

Here is a neat little program to prevent that from happening.

http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

Short Wave Sportfishing November 19th 04 05:18 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:09:41 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

"QL" wrote in message news:atond.2$TG2.1@trnddc01...
I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds ..snip

Here is a neat little program to prevent that from happening.

http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/home.com

Which only goes to prove my point.

eBay sucks.

Later,

Tom

Greg November 19th 04 05:45 PM

I buy lots of stuff on Ebay but I always look to see what a new one is before I
even look. I see lots of used stuff that ends up going for more than new and
new stuff that sells for more than just going to a web store and buying it. The
things that do sell cheaper on the net than in a store are PC parts. You will
still do better at a Office Depot type store if it is a promo item.
The trick on buying cheap on Ebay is to watch a guy who is selling lots of the
same thing. Bid low and wait until the week where everyone who wants one has
one. That is when you get the best deal. Just be careful on shipping!!!
Sometimes the shipping is more than the part is worth, even if you "won" it for
a penny.

Calif Bill November 20th 04 03:47 AM

[...]

I heard on the radio EBAY has just clamped down on some big dealers that
were doing exactly that.

Short Wave Sportfishing November 20th 04 11:49 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:47:27 GMT, "Calif Bill"

.. .
[...]

They are trying, but the problem is pandemic. All you need to do is
have a couple of your friends bid on things you put up.

The reason eBay is just now getting around to clamping down is that
it's hurting the bottom line - the overall amount of bidding has
slowed and thus, revenue has dropped.

Later,

Tom

Karl Denninger November 20th 04 03:55 PM

In article ,
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:47:27 GMT, "Calif Bill"

. ..
[...]

Yep.

This is basically impossible to stop.

The other problem eBAY is having that has reached pandemic proportions is
deadbeats. Bidders who have no intention of paying, and never do pay.

eBAY makes you jump through hoops when this happens (and it happens a LOT)
to get your "final value fee" back, and if you screw up, you get screwed
(literally) out of the FVF. Even if you DON'T screw up they get your money
for close to a month - and the float on it - before they refund it.

That's a hell of a racket.

Bid rigging works to eBAY's ADVANTAGE if people actually buy on the second
chance offers, as their FVF collections are HIGHER - in some cases DOUBLE
or more what they would otherwise get.

They have zero economic incentive to actually stop it so long as people keep
using eBAY.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind

Charles R. Kaiser November 20th 04 06:11 PM

Spear Chucky wrote:

I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00 online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

You are shopping in the wrong online stores. I have found several
examples of Biller spearguns for under $200.00 (the teak models seem to
be than the mahogany. BTW, eBay seems to have some pretty good deals on
brand new AB Biller models), and JRCigars.com has the HdM Double Corona
Maduros for only $67.25.

Google is your friend.

--
Charles R. Kaiser HOKC - Godtar - http://www.godtar.com
"There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone

Direct all incoming fire to:
44° 00' 43" N
79° 27' 06" W