BoatBanter.com

-   -   You just can't F'in win... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/25040-re-you-just-cant-fin-win.html)

Gary Warner November 10th 04 07:17 PM

You just can't F'in win...

Life is the leading cause of death.

Just another good reason to get that heater into your boat and enjoy...

Short Wave Sportfishing November 10th 04 07:20 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:17:54 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Life is the leading cause of death.

Just another good reason to get that heater into your boat and enjoy...

Damn straight...

Later,

Tom

Don White November 10th 04 07:46 PM

My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

snip

Hang on long enough and you might 'see' a bionic eye. Wouldn't that be
great...aka the Bionic Man

NOYB November 10th 04 08:04 PM

My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

Vitamin E does prevent vision loss. It kills you before your eyesight
fails.

Short Wave Sportfishing November 10th 04 09:39 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:04:58 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

.. .
My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

Vitamin E does prevent vision loss. It kills you before your eyesight
fails.

Thanks for the good cheer.

Just out of curiosity, when you remove a tooth, do you tell your
patients it will only hurt until it stops hurting? :)

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing November 10th 04 09:39 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:46:58 GMT, "Don White"

.. .
My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

snip

Hang on long enough and you might 'see' a bionic eye. Wouldn't that be
great...aka the Bionic Man.

I'd rather have a bionic schlong, but hey..... :)

I don't know why I said that.

Later,

Tom

NOYB November 10th 04 10:04 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:04:58 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in
message
. ..
My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

Vitamin E does prevent vision loss. It kills you before your eyesight
fails.

Thanks for the good cheer.

Just out of curiosity, when you remove a tooth, do you tell your
patients it will only hurt until it stops hurting? :)

No. But I'll have to remember that one.

dixon November 10th 04 10:14 PM

My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

Then I read this:

From the NYT:

November 10, 2004
Vitamin E May Be Harmful, Study Finds
By REUTERS

It would be nice to know why the higer death rate in E takers. I need it to
sleep. It has a similar effect to aspirin in keeping arteries from blocking.
I was told to stop taking it a week or so before minor surgery. I guess cuts
bleed longer when on E. I put up with the restless leg thing at night til I
read that E will stop it. The article said to just increase dose til the
cramping stops. It took 800 to 1200 daily to do it. In a couple days it
worked, where nothing else ever did.
Dixon

Don White November 10th 04 10:50 PM

I'd rather have a bionic schlong, but hey..... :)

I don't know why I said that.

Later,

Better not let the wife catch you saying that!

Don White November 10th 04 10:52 PM

Just out of curiosity, when you remove a tooth, do you tell your
patients it will only hurt until it stops hurting? :)

Later,

Tom

He tells his patients it'll stop hurting after they pay his exorbiant fees.

JohnH November 10th 04 11:05 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:04:52 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

.. .
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:04:58 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in
message
My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

Vitamin E does prevent vision loss. It kills you before your eyesight
fails.

Thanks for the good cheer.

Just out of curiosity, when you remove a tooth, do you tell your
patients it will only hurt until it stops hurting? :)

No. But I'll have to remember that one.

A dentist story:

Once upon a time, the Veterans Administration was doing some
periodontal wok (cutting my gums back) on my mouth. This was the final
dental work the military was going to do for me.

The periodontist was just completing her residency (internship? - not
sure what it's called).

She worked on one quadrant of my mouth every month. I would sit in the
chair, she would sneak a needle behind my back, and then she'd say,
"This is going to sting just a little bit."

Just before the second round of cutting, after she lied about
"stinging" a little, I stopped her and said, "Let's be honest, this is
going to feel like an ice pick going through the roof of my mouth into
my brain. Why don't you just tell me the truth?"

Her reply was, "Colonel Herring, do you really think I'd have much of
a practice if I told all my patients that?" She did have a point.

At the third visit, she had a new assistant. When she was ready to
give me the shots she held the needle right in front of my eyes and
said, "Colonel, this is going to feel like an ice pick going right up
to your brain!"

We then both looked at her new assistant. He was wearing a mask, but
his eyeballs *were* damn near as big as saucers as he stood there in
shock. We all laughed until we had tears in our eyes.

Then she gave me the shots. ****!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

JohnH November 10th 04 11:07 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:14:56 GMT, "dixon"

.. .
My docs just recommended higher dosage of Vitamin E because I have
degenerative eye disease in my right eye. Said it had something to do
with Age Related Eye Disease study or something.

Then I read this:

From the NYT:

November 10, 2004
Vitamin E May Be Harmful, Study Finds
By REUTERS

It would be nice to know why the higer death rate in E takers. I need it to
sleep. It has a similar effect to aspirin in keeping arteries from blocking.
I was told to stop taking it a week or so before minor surgery. I guess cuts
bleed longer when on E. I put up with the restless leg thing at night til I
read that E will stop it. The article said to just increase dose til the
cramping stops. It took 800 to 1200 daily to do it. In a couple days it
worked, where nothing else ever did.
Dixon

I wonder if fish oil will be the next thing to take a hit. That might
help the bait supply in the Chesapeake Bay (from whence comes a lot of
fish oil) and help clean the water up. Sure hope so.

Don White November 10th 04 11:28 PM

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:04:52 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

snip
Just before the second round of cutting, after she lied about
"stinging" a little, I stopped her and said, "Let's be honest, this is
going to feel like an ice pick going through the roof of my mouth into
my brain. Why don't you just tell me the truth?"

Her reply was, "Colonel Herring, do you really think I'd have much of
a practice if I told all my patients that?" She did have a point.

snip

Most dentiists will rub a bit of banana flavoured stuff to surface freeze
where the needle pricks. Your people must have enjoyed watching you twitch.

JohnH November 10th 04 11:46 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:28:04 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:04:52 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

snip
Just before the second round of cutting, after she lied about
"stinging" a little, I stopped her and said, "Let's be honest, this is
going to feel like an ice pick going through the roof of my mouth into
my brain. Why don't you just tell me the truth?"

Her reply was, "Colonel Herring, do you really think I'd have much of
a practice if I told all my patients that?" She did have a point.

snip

Most dentiists will rub a bit of banana flavoured stuff to surface freeze
where the needle pricks. Your people must have enjoyed watching you twitch.

That stuff, Novocaine(?), just never did much for me. Maybe if I'd
drank a glassful, but they never offered enough.

NOYB November 11th 04 12:46 AM

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:28:04 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:04:52 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

snip
Just before the second round of cutting, after she lied about
"stinging" a little, I stopped her and said, "Let's be honest, this is
going to feel like an ice pick going through the roof of my mouth into
my brain. Why don't you just tell me the truth?"

Her reply was, "Colonel Herring, do you really think I'd have much of
a practice if I told all my patients that?" She did have a point.

snip

Most dentiists will rub a bit of banana flavoured stuff to surface freeze
where the needle pricks. Your people must have enjoyed watching you
twitch.

That stuff, Novocaine(?), just never did much for me. Maybe if I'd
drank a glassful, but they never offered enough.

The topical gel applied before the needle is benzocaine. It helps only a
little bit. The best way to ensure that a shot is painless is to inject
sloooooooooowly. However, there is almost no way to make those shots in
the palate painless. I almost never give 'em...but I don't do perio
surgery. There is a lidocaine transdermal patch that, if applied about 10
minutes before the palatal shot, works pretty well.

BTW--we don't use novocaine anymore. We use lidocaine, mepivacaine,
bupivacaine, articaine, or prilocaine. Articaine works better than any of
them...and bupivacaine lasts the longest.

Wayne.B November 11th 04 03:09 AM

wrote:

Life is the leading cause of death.

Just another good reason to get that heater into your boat and enjoy...

Damn straight...

================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

What is a heater?

Don White November 11th 04 03:21 AM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

But then you'd have to put up with alll those 'old guys'...running around
with their pants pulled up too high and complaining about government. :-)

Eisboch November 11th 04 03:53 AM

Don White wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

But then you'd have to put up with alll those 'old guys'...running around
with their pants pulled up too high and complaining about government. :-)

Hey! I resent that!

Eisboch

-rick- November 11th 04 04:21 AM

"Wayne.B" wrote ...

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

I can put on a jacket and be comfortable here but can't take off enough clothes
to endure a Florida summer.

-rick-

Eisboch November 11th 04 04:35 AM

-rick- wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote ...

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

I can put on a jacket and be comfortable here but can't take off enough clothes
to endure a Florida summer.

-rick-

Florida summers suck. Florida winters are heaven.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing November 11th 04 11:59 AM

wrote:

Life is the leading cause of death.

Just another good reason to get that heater into your boat and enjoy...

Damn straight...

================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

I just mentioned that to my lovely, long suffering bride yesterday and
her exact words were "What?!? And miss the lovely New England
Winter!?!"

What is a heater?

1 - An apparatus that heats or provides heat.
2 - One who heats something or tends a heating apparatus.
3 - Slang. A pistol.
4 - Baseball. A fastball.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing November 11th 04 12:00 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:53:57 -0500, Eisboch
wrote:

Don White wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

But then you'd have to put up with alll those 'old guys'...running around
with their pants pulled up too high and complaining about government. :-)

Hey! I resent that!

I'm sure he meant it in the kindest, most nuanced way possible.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing November 11th 04 12:01 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 03:21:31 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

But then you'd have to put up with alll those 'old guys'...running around
with their pants pulled up too high and complaining about government. :-)

¿Que? :)

Live long and prosper,

Tom

Eisboch November 11th 04 12:06 PM

wrote:

Don White wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

But then you'd have to put up with alll those 'old guys'...running around
with their pants pulled up too high and complaining about government. :-)

Hey! I resent that!

I'm sure he meant it in the kindest, most nuanced way possible.

Later,

Tom

Yeah, sure. It's the nuance that ****ed me off.

Eisboch

thunder November 11th 04 12:12 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:59:11 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I just mentioned that to my lovely, long suffering bride yesterday and her
exact words were "What?!? And miss the lovely New England Winter!?!"

My problem with winter isn't the white stuff, it's all the brown time
between now and April. I'll also say the transition times, the spring
greening and the autumn color, are almost worth it, almost.

Short Wave Sportfishing November 11th 04 12:46 PM

wrote:

Don White wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
================================

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

But then you'd have to put up with alll those 'old guys'...running around
with their pants pulled up too high and complaining about government. :-)

Hey! I resent that!

I'm sure he meant it in the kindest, most nuanced way possible.

Yeah, sure. It's the nuance that ****ed me off.

Nuance is as nuance does.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing November 11th 04 12:47 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:12:09 -0500, thunder
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:59:11 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I just mentioned that to my lovely, long suffering bride yesterday and her
exact words were "What?!? And miss the lovely New England Winter!?!"

My problem with winter isn't the white stuff, it's all the brown time
between now and April. I'll also say the transition times, the spring
greening and the autumn color, are almost worth it, almost.

I hear you.

Then again, my wife is one of those artsy fartsy types and sees beauty
in everything.

I guess that's why we've been married so long. :)

Later,

Tom

.JIMinFL November 11th 04 01:16 PM

It got down to 58 last night. I had to put a jacket on to walk the dog this
morning. I kinda miss summer.
JIMinFL

Eisboch November 11th 04 01:39 PM

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Florida summers suck. Florida winters are heaven.

Eisboch

Howdy Jim!

Still tapping my foot, waiting for Major to .... well, you get the drift.

Eisboch

Wayne.B November 11th 04 01:40 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:21:56 -0800, "-rick-" wrote:

I can put on a jacket and be comfortable here but can't take off enough clothes
to endure a Florida summer.

============================

Not without being arrested.

Wayne.B November 11th 04 01:44 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:16:07 -0500, ".JIMinFL"
wrote:

It got down to 58 last night. I had to put a jacket on to walk the dog this
morning. I kinda miss summer.

===============================

Me too in a way. We actually ate dinner indoors the other night for
the first time in months. Last night was back on the patio though.

The weather here has been near perfect since the end of September.

NOYB November 11th 04 05:49 PM

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
-rick- wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote ...

Better yet, move to Florida, avoid the heater, avoid winterization and
go around saying things like "what is winter?".

I can put on a jacket and be comfortable here but can't take off enough
clothes
to endure a Florida summer.

-rick-

Florida summers suck. Florida winters are heaven.

Eisboch

Well, summers in Northern Florida are not bad. But once you reach the
latitude of Orlano, it is hot as Hades beginning in about April.

But Hades is much drier...and the people are just so damn mean and grumpy
all of the time. At least the mean and grumpy people leave Florida in the
Summer.

P.Fritz November 11th 04 07:04 PM

wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't matter what it is, you still end up drooling out of half your mouth
for the rest of the day :-)

Doug Kanter November 11th 04 07:22 PM

"We don't think that people need to take vitamin E supplements, that
they get enough from the diet," he said. Nuts, oils, whole grains and
green leafy vegetables are all rich in vitamin E.

Based on 20 years of trying to give away my oversupply of leafy green
vegetables from the garden, the previous paragraph is untrue. Most of my
neighbors looked at romaine, swiss chard and a dozen other greens and said
"Whuh? Wazzat?"

JohnH November 11th 04 08:24 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:46:48 -0500, "NOYB" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, the best is sugarcane, converted to 150 proof Bacardi, as
long as the dentist doesn't make any sparks while doing his work!

Short Wave Sportfishing November 11th 04 10:41 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:22:56 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

"We don't think that people need to take vitamin E supplements, that
they get enough from the diet," he said. Nuts, oils, whole grains and
green leafy vegetables are all rich in vitamin E.

Based on 20 years of trying to give away my oversupply of leafy green
vegetables from the garden, the previous paragraph is untrue. Most of my
neighbors looked at romaine, swiss chard and a dozen other greens and said
"Whuh? Wazzat?"

Wazzzzzuuuuuuuuppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later,

Tom