BoatBanter.com

-   -   What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2474-what-best-christmas-present-avid-boat-admirer.html)

CapriciousD December 22nd 03 05:24 AM

What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Gould 0738 December 22nd 03 05:54 AM

What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Forget all about the specific brands you mention. (Suzuki, Nonsuch, and
BigFoot)

Want to know what to get you dad for Christmas?

A serious commitment to help him build that boat he's dreaming of. Set aside
some time, even if its just an afternoon a week, for the two of you to work
together on the project. And both of you, stick to it. Don't get "too busy" or
"wait until next week."
At 16, there are only just so many "next weeks" left. You'll soon discover that
it won't matter all that much how soon the boat is finished- you'll be enjoying
quality family time.

You might learn a lot from your Dad about building boats, and he might learn a
few things about the joys of being a Dad.
Several decades from now, you'll look back on this time and see that building a
boat was merely a footnote.

That's what they are, these boats. They are great wings for launching hopes and
dreams and magic carpets for creating memories. The best thing about boats is
that they bring people together.

Happy holiday.

Mark Borgerson December 22nd 03 06:06 AM

What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

In article ,
says...
My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

If he doesn't already have a subscription to "Wooden Boat" consider
that. If it is appropriate, you've covered that spot on the
list for years to come. If it works out, you've got a
monthly reminder for a year. That works out better than a
lot of gifts whose significance fades in a few weeks.

Other alternatives are 'Cruising World' and 'Sail'.

Mark Borgerson.

Lloyd Sumpter December 22nd 03 06:44 AM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:24:38 +0000, CapriciousD wrote:

My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for Christmas (who is
a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many boats in his time. First he
ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his brother. But he is older now and he wants
badly to build a boat for our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to
know what the best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get sweeter
than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Other answers are VERY good. I'll point out that the most useful tool I've had
building stich'n'glue boats is a belt sander. If he doesn't have one, it's a
Good Toy. Makes your curves fair, and eases all the sanding required on these
kinda boats.

Lloyd

Chris December 22nd 03 12:42 PM

What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
om...
Thanks in advance
Dave

Books on boatbuilding he doesn't already have, in the style of the boats he
likes.

A "gift certificate" at a lumber yard or fiberglass company. Assuming they
give those out? Boatbuilding materials, tools, paints, just about anything
related in construction could be a benefit he'd enjoy having.

A study plan/drawing or two might be good.

Things "nautical" in general, such as a boarding cutlass (sword), bos'un
whistle, binnacle compass, seafaring clothing, etc..

Something really nice (depending on your own level of skill/desire), build
or have built over the year a boat, presenting it to him on Christmas or on
his birthday, or other special day. Imagine the look on his face perhaps
blindfolded, led out to his very own boat built by family who care for him
and his hobby.

I know, it's last-minute, but some of these (especially the last one) would
be great for next year. ;-)

John Gaquin December 22nd 03 01:22 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas .... he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time.

I'm with Chuck on this one. The boat is just a vehicle. Give him the most
valuable thing you've got -- time. In a couple of years you'll be off on
your own, and all he'll have is the visits. In what will seem like just a
few years after that, he'll be gone, and all you'll have is the memories.
Spend the time with him, doing something you'll both enjoy. It'll be the
most valuable thing either of you've got.

JG

Trainfan1 December 22nd 03 02:45 PM

What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
om...

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.
Thanks in advance
Dave

How about a Glen-L Catalog...

Rob
*
*
*

Glenn Ashmore December 22nd 03 03:15 PM

What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

As he is just looking and not building I suggest The Worlds Best
Sailboats by Franc Mate.

If he is building, get him some clamps. Clamps are always a safe bet
for presents to boatbuilders. I have almost 100 clamps but could always
use a few more. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Backyard Renegade December 22nd 03 04:06 PM

(CapriciousD) wrote in message . com...
My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Dude, listen to Gould. You will be on your way soon and could be half
way around the world in no time. My daughter just left to teach
English in Osaka! Way cool. Anyway, build a quick boat with your dad.
Understand that with the epoxy and mixing tools available today,
anyone can build a boat, with very basic tools and skills. There are
any number of plans available out there for anywhere from 50 bucks, to
free that are designed specifically for the first time builder, here
are a few to start with:
http://smallboats.com/iras_plans.htm
http://smallboats.com/plans.htm
http://www.instantboats.com
Any of the books by Dynamite Payson would make a great gift and I bet
Dynamite would be able to get it to you by Christmas if you call him
today. The book "Build the New Instant Boats" would make a great gift
for any boat lover and includes plans for six small boats along with
all the info needed to build them, along with a very colorful read
from a "down east" point of view. Payson himself is quite a character,
he sells the book for 20 bucks, I think it would make a perfect gift
for your dad.
Any of the boats above can be easily built in a garage or backyard,
with mostly general handyman type tools, for less than 200 bucks, in
about 40-50 hours, and the biggest thing is they can be built, an hour
or two here and there over a period of time depending on your
schedual!
A set of plans or the above mentioned book and a commitment to spend a
couple of hours a week with your dad would be the best boat related
gift you could give him. I am sure most here would agree. Of course,
most of us are boat builders ;).
Anyway, all of my daughters have cut their teeth early building simple
boats with me in the yard, they learn a lot and grow, I get a boat to
take them or my buddies fishin' with, some of our best memories are
related to the boats we have built together, everybody is happy. Did I
mention, I get a boat!
Scotty from SmallBoats.com Merry Christmas all.