Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
JohnH

Default Today's GOOD news! (a little off topic)

New school brings hope for Afghan youth

Story and photo by Sgt. Greg Heath, 4th Public Affairs Detachment

PAKTIA PROVINCE, Afghanistan – Twenty-three years ago formal education along
with the schoolhouse for the children of Dara and the surrounding area vanished.

The schoolhouse in Dara – which serviced thousands of families – was destroyed
during the Russian occupation of Afghanistan, and since then has left a
generation of children suffering.

New hope emerged when the U.S. Provincial Reconstruction Team out of Gardez laid
down the foundation for the renewed education of Paktia youth when they helped
rebuild the new Dara School. The school had its grand opening Aug. 27.

“A good education will prepare these children and give them the tools to be
future leaders in the community,” said acting commander of Combined Joint Task
Force 180, Major Gen. Zannie Smith, who attended the school opening along with
other dignitaries including Paktia provinces’ governor Asadullah Wafa and the
senior political advisor to U.S. military operations in Afghanistan, Ambassador
Victor Jackovich.

Built on a concrete base and reinforced steel frame, the vibrant, new school
stands out like a beacon among the mud and brick walled homes which dominate the
area.

The new school took four months to build and cost $76,000, according to Maj.
Mark Donlon, 407th Civil Affairs Battalion, Gardez PRT.

Initially the school is expected to enroll 300 students, but the numbers are
expected to quickly grow, according to Paktia Director of Education Abdul
Moslin.

Years of fighting Russian occupation and then living under the Taliban had
driven many of the families of Paktia province to neighboring countries Pakistan
and Iran.

“We will encourage the refugees from Iran and Pakistan to return home,” said
Wafa. “After the people hear about this (and the other programs being started by
the PRT) hopefully they will return.”

By next year the school is expecting to enroll more than 1,200 students. The
school day will be split in half, with boys being taught in the morning and
girls in the afternoon.

“We are very happy because education is very important to making things better
for the Afghan people,” said Mahammed Aqbal, one of the future students. “I want
to become a doctor or engineer and to help keep peace in our country.”

For now the school will train new teachers to prepare for the group of Afghan
youth that will become the future leaders of their country.

“This is a great gift,” Wafa said. “We will not forget this.”

All is not bad!

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

More OT Good News! JohnH General 13 December 20th 03 01:57 PM
Nice news, even if off topic! JohnH General 0 December 19th 03 11:39 PM
Some off topic good news! JohnH General 2 December 19th 03 12:50 AM