BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mercruiser vs Volvo outdrive question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/24080-mercruiser-vs-volvo-outdrive-question.html)

Floyd in Tampa October 19th 04 05:41 AM

Mercruiser vs Volvo outdrive question

I have an Alpha-1 Mercruiser outdrive that can be tilted up to the trailer
position when approaching a beach, or going over a sandbar. I believe the
manual says to keep the RPM at idle to reduce damage or wear on the U-drive
components whenever you must do this. I've also forgotten to lower the
drive when starting the engine on occasion. So far, no damage, though I
plan on replacing the U-joints this winter while I have the drive off to
replace the impeller.
I have been looking at a newer boat that comes with the Volvo outdrive. I
read somewhere that if the Volvo outdrive is operated above the normal tilt
range it will damage something, and also read about a guy that did that and
wore a hole in the drive bellows, causing furthur water damage. Is that
correct?
Since I spend a lot of time over sandbars, this might be important when
looking for a new boat.

JamesgangNC October 20th 04 02:39 AM

I've idled with mine up for years. I've had the outdrive out many times and
the u joints are always fine.

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:41:13 GMT, "Floyd in Tampa"
wrote:

I have an Alpha-1 Mercruiser outdrive that can be tilted up to the trailer
position when approaching a beach, or going over a sandbar. I believe the
manual says to keep the RPM at idle to reduce damage or wear on the
U-drive
components whenever you must do this. I've also forgotten to lower the
drive when starting the engine on occasion. So far, no damage, though I
plan on replacing the U-joints this winter while I have the drive off to
replace the impeller.

Others will chime in, but it is my understanding to NEVER run your drive
in the trailer position and only at idle when halfway up.

Maybe the crunching you hear isn't potato chips.

Jeff Rigby October 20th 04 11:20 AM

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've idled with mine up for years. I've had the outdrive out many times

and
the u joints are always fine.

Me too, the manuel warns about bellows wear. I check mine for proper
position every few months (in the up position). I can imagine a situation
where the rubber in the bellows gets stiff (unevenly) and in the up position
is resting against the ujoint. Then I'd wear a hole in the bellows if I used
it too long in this position.

Floyd in Tampa October 21st 04 02:12 AM

Can I assume (Jeff & Jamesgang) that you both have volvo outdrives?