BoatBanter.com

-   -   Interesting batteries (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/23979-interesting-batteries.html)

Gould 0738 October 15th 04 09:22 PM

Interesting batteries

Double the Power, or Half the Space?

We recently dropped by Boat Electric (on Westlake Avenue in Seattle) to visit
with Harris Allen, of Meridian Marine Progressive Products. Meridian Marine
Progressive Products is the marine distribution and marketing arm of the
Northstar Battery Company. Boat Electric has been selling the Meridian Marine
batteries, and business is so brisk that employees have resorted hooking the
Meridian batteries on display together with zip ties.
"We had a lot of people tearing apart the display to get to the batteries,"
said a Boat Electric spokesperson. "We were having to rebuild the display all
the time, and we would really rather sell a battery out of our store room."

We wanted to know why these batteries are becoming so popular with NW boaters,
and Harris Allen proved to be very informative. Harris shared a general outline
of the company history and the specific battery technology employed in the
Meridian Marine battery.

*****

What can you tell us about the company itself?

"Northstar Battery was formed three or three and a half years ago by an
international group of battery company executives. Many of them were from
Europe. They had an idea that they wanted to build a better battery. They went
out and raised $60-million in venture capital, and built the most advanced
battery-manufacturing plant in the world in Springfield, Missouri. They built
the plant in Missouri because the two largest lead mines in the US are located
there."

"The founders realized that if they were going to build an improved battery,
they would have to go outside the traditional manufacturing processes used by
all the other manufacturers. A new approach was required, and they adapted
technology from aerospace, automotive, and other industries to get the robotics
that they needed to assemble these batteries."

With all of the batteries on the market, why would a Northwest boater want to
specifically consider yours?

"One of the most remarkable things about the Meridian Marine battery is that my
unit with amp-hour capacity equivalent with a traditional 8D battery is only
about half the size. It is slightly taller, but our battery is only 5-inches
wide. We can effectively put two of these in the space of a single 8D. In fact,
many people put two new Meridians into the same battery box that previously
held only one 8D. I ask prospective customers whether they would prefer to
recover half the space currently used by batteries, or enjoy double the power.
It's a win-win decision, no matter how a boater decides."

"The Meridian Marine battery is a premium product. They cost a lot more to
manufacture, and to buy, than some battery purchased off the shelf in an auto
parts store. Although the initial cost is higher than an off-the-shelf 8D, the
Meridian battery will have a service life that is almost four times as long as
the cheaper product."

Is it correct to assume that your batteries utilize AGM technology?

"Yes, that's correct. You can call it AGM, for 'absorbed glass mat', but it is
also referred to as a 'starved electrolyte' battery. Layers of lead plates are
separated by layers of glass mat, and the mat is soaked with electrolyte. Once
assembled into a bundle, the alternating lead and glass bundles are compressed
as part of the manufacturing process. Most manufacturers achieve about a ten-
percent compression. Through the use of robotics, Northstar Battery has been
able to come up with over a thirty- percent compression. This means that we can
get a huge amount of plate area into a smaller space. The critical
consideration is the amount of plate area in contact with the electrolyte, so
the bundle can be compressed without loss of capacity."

"Another advantage of a Meridian Battery is that if you should split the case,
the battery isn't going to leak. All the electrolyte is contained in the glass
mat."

Isn't it true that an AGM battery can be installed in any position, except
maybe upside down?

"You can't install one upside down. You'll notice on these particular batteries
that there's a unique feature. Any sealed battery has valves in it, and falls
into a class we call 'valve regulated lead-acid batteries'. If you reach a case
pressure of, (in our case at least) 5 psi then the vents open. It takes a
serious overcharge to reach a case pressure of 5 psi, but when you do you're
venting hydrogen gas. On our particular battery, if the valves should ever open
the gas will go into this vent chamber, here on the top of the battery. The
vent chamber is an excellent feature, and we go a step beyond that. We have two
plastic nipples on the vent chamber so we can install plastic tubing. We can
use the tubing to daisy chain the batteries together, and then drain the gasses
overboard anywhere we want."

"In Fort Lauderdale, we do a lot of Feadships and other big boats. Most of them
fall under SOLAS, GMDSS requirements which means they have to have a back-up
battery bank for their electronics. Typically, that's under the helm, where all
the electronics are.
When we have batteries under the electronics, we don't want to run the risk of
the battery charger going crazy and venting corrosive gas onto the electronics.
In a case like that, we use the remote venting feature and vent the batteries
out the side of the boat.

Are the vent tube fittings fairly well exclusive to the Meridian Marine product
line?

"Yes, it's a very unique solution. It allows us to do rack mount installations.
Rather than have batteries stuck all around the engine room, we just weld up a
stainless rack, install a number of batteries on their sides, and use a single
vent for all of them."

Do Meridians make good starting batteries?

"Yes, because of the compression factor we have a tremendous amount of plate
area in the battery and that gives them excellent starting power. Take a look
at our 115-amp model for example. Most people would consider that a very
compact battery, it's 4 ¼ inches wide, and 15 inches long. We just did a refit
on a 150-foot Trinity, with a 53-litre, 1800 HP, 3512 Cat. The starting bank
consists of two of these batteries combined to create 24-volts."

"Take a look at our 210-amp model. As you can see, it is rated at 1830 cold
cranking amps, and most 8D's are rated at about 1200. We have about 50% more
cranking power, in a battery that occupies only half the space."

What are the sizes most commonly purchased by pleasure boaters?

"We just follow the standard marine ratings. We sell a lot of 115-amp, 130-amp,
and 210-amp batteries to boaters. By putting two of those 210-amp batteries
into a 8D box, all of a sudden you have created a 420-amp battery. Most of the
8D's are 200, 210 or 225 amps, depending upon who built the battery. The term
8D refers to case size. Our 210-amp battery is sort of in the middle, capacity
wise, with most of the 8D batteries on the market, but it's only half the size.
Putting two of these into the space traditionally occupied by an 8D creates a
battery that is about double most 8D units. That's why I ask people whether
they would prefer to have twice the power, or only use up half the space."

How about deep-cycle durability?

"Consider the typical, off-the-shelf flooded cell 8D battery. At 50% discharge,
you're looking at 200 to 250 recharge cycles before that battery is done. With
a Meridian, you can get over 800 cycles from 50% discharge. The deeper you
discharge a battery, the fewer cycles you are going to get. A standard 8D
discharged to 80% would be lucky to survive more than about 100 cycles. A
Meridian discharged to 80% will last for over 500 recharges."

How has the marine market responded to your product so far?

"Well, Boat Electric is a good example. They waited a little while and studied
the idea before they turned in their first stocking order. Sales in the Pacific
Northwest have exploded, with batteries all but flying out the door. Boaters
love these. We're now the OEM battery for Hinckley, Palmer Johnson, Direktor
Shipyards, Lyman Morse, and nearly all the high-speed, custom sport fish guys.

***

While most Pacific Northwest boaters won't be purchasing a Hinckley in the
immediate future, it's fun to realize that our boats could rather realistically
have a battery in common with such a prestigious craft. Next time the batteries
wear out, it might be well to consider a newly relevant question when replacing
them, "Do I want to use half the space, or enjoy double the power?"

JimH October 15th 04 09:35 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Nice post Chuck. How much are they retailing for?

Having to deal with four lead plate group 31 batteries in my old boat was
quite a chore and required maintenance every other week.

DSK October 15th 04 09:44 PM

Thanks for writing & posting this, Chuck. Very interesting reading. I am
a fan of old fashioned flooded cell batteries, but these are worth
looking into.

Fair Skies
Doug King

DSK October 15th 04 09:50 PM

JimH wrote:
Nice post Chuck. How much are they retailing for?

Having to deal with four lead plate group 31 batteries in my old boat was
quite a chore and required maintenance every other week.

Why?

We have 4 Excide Gr-31 dual purpose batteries. I hooked them to a smart
charger and they do quite well. Occasionally (like twice in 7 months)
add distilled water. However I check them regularly... not a big deal.

DSK

Gould 0738 October 15th 04 09:58 PM

Nice post Chuck. How much are they retailing for?

I'm under the impression that retail is maybe twice to two and a half times the
price of a flooded cell battery, but I don't have any hard numbers.

Gould 0738 October 15th 04 10:06 PM

Thanks for writing & posting this, Chuck.

Some scarce boating content for the NG, a screw-up detector for me.

My "executive editor" has a degree in English, but she doesn't know anything
about boats. Running something through here is useful. If ten guys say, "Hey!
What about this?" I can figure out whether it needs to be incorporated into or
removed from the text.

Very interesting reading. I am
a fan of old fashioned flooded cell batteries, but these are worth
looking into.

I am also a flooded cell fan. I would certainly consider batteries like these
if
I needed to get the maximum amount of power into a minimal amount of space.

dixon October 15th 04 10:27 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Double the Power, or Half the Space?

Can I assume, being into racing, these batteries are lighter per amp/hr

than conventional automotive batteries?
Dixon

Jon Smithe October 15th 04 11:41 PM

It's a PR piece for a new product. "Articles" like this is very common in
all boating magazines. Normally they agree to run so many ads if the
magazine agrees to run the piece.

"JohnH" wrote in message
On 15 Oct 2004 20:22:41 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Chuck, was that an advertisement? I read a lot of nice words, but didn't
see any
test results or other statistics to support the claims.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those who can do binary and those who can't!

Gould 0738 October 16th 04 12:32 AM

Chuck, was that an advertisement? I read a lot of nice words, but didn't see
any
test results or other statistics to support the claims.

It was an interview, in which the subject responded to a request to talk about
his company and his product.

There's always a chance that the amp/hour ratings and CCA ratings printed on
the battery cases are blatant lies, but I doubt it. You can get two of these
into an existing 8D box, which is what the entire theme of the article (half
the space or twice the power) is about.

Gould 0738 October 16th 04 12:41 AM

It's a PR piece for a new product. "Articles" like this is very common in
all boating magazines. Normally they agree to run so many ads if the
magazine agrees to run the piece.

You don't know a goddam thing about boats, and don't even begin to insinuate
you know anything about boating magazines.

Pick up any issue of any boating magazine, and if it is reasonably successful
you can go through the magazine and say, "Oh, look! Here's an ad for that
company or brand of boat that was featured in an article this month. Must be
something fu'd going on here." Of course the fact that the same company or
product may have advertised regularly for years means nothing....

Now count the dozens, scores, or in some of the largest publications the
*hundreds* of ads for companies that do not have articles appearing in the
issue. Any explanation for those?

Add the publishing business to the list of things you need to learn more about.

Jon Smithe October 16th 04 12:57 AM

Did I say something to offend you? If so, I must have missed it.

I do know about Boating Mags and all magazines because I worked for a
marketing company and we used to "buy" these PR pieces all the time.

What did offend you about my comment? It was a PR fluff piece, nothing
wrong with that.

JimH October 16th 04 01:27 AM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Undies in a knot tonight Chuck? Chill.

P. Fritz October 16th 04 01:34 AM

"JimH" wrote in message

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Must have seen the latest zogby poll

Short Wave Sportfishing October 16th 04 02:00 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:32:15 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

On 15 Oct 2004 23:41:58 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Chuck, do any of these magazine pieces ever find anything wrong with the boats
they 'test'. I take "Motorboating" and it has several articles a month about new
boats. All of the new boats are 'spectacular'. None have faults. Are there any
magazines which actually compare different brands?

I can tell you that "Sal****er Sportsman" has never met a boat it
didn't like. To give them some credit, they do comment on some
fishability things, but the critique is tepid at best.

A couple of years ago, one of the NE fishing publications asked me to
review a bay boat - if only because I'm one of the only people in NE
who actually has one. :)

I said sure and I took the boat for a week. Ran it over in
Narragansett Bay, out around Fisher's, The Race, up the Connecticut -
did some fishing and wrote detailed critique of the boat including
most of the issues I have detailed here about my Ranger plus a couple
of rather unique ones comparing the test boat to my Ranger and the
Polar bay that I had run.

The editor called me after I sent it in and told me I needed to cut
back on the criticism and be more positive.

Oh well - some of us are destined to be Hemingway and some are
destined to be....well....me. :)

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Gould 0738 October 16th 04 02:29 AM

I take "Motorboating" and it has several articles a month about new
boats. All of the new boats are 'spectacular'. None have faults. Are there
any
magazines which actually compare different brands?

Usually not head to head. I subscribed to Poweboat Reports for a while, but
their editorial budget is almost non existent and they draw absolute
conclusions about items that are obviously very subjective. Many of the
considerations are pretty subjective. For example, most new boats have a shiny
gel coat. Does Brand A shine more than Brand B? Who knows? Does it matter as
long as both are really shiny? How big does "roomy" stateroom have to be? Etc.

There are also differences between a thorough, clinical test and a review of
general impressions and experiences while aboard. Sort of like the differences
between David Pascoe's "reviews" and an actual survey.

Take the battery article- you wanted "tests, statistics, charts, graphs, etc"
to back up the guy's claims about his batteries- but really beyond the amp hour
rating, physical case size, and CCA of the batteries he didn't make any claims
that
would have to be verified by an indpendent laboratory.

One of the challenges with boats is that the majority of gasoline powered boats
share the same mfgr's engines. Tough to rate one brand a lot higher on
mechanical reliability than another when so many major components are exactgly
the same. With some of the diesel boats, you might find a particular engine
throughout the production run, or you might find several.

Best way to compare, head to head, would be to save the "performance data
chart" (if there is one) from one issue to the next.

If you're lucky, you might learn enough about a product from a general article
to know whether or not you want to investigate it further, but nobody should
expect a magazine to tell them everything they need to know to make a decision
about any product. Boats and accessories included.

Gould 0738 October 16th 04 02:32 AM

Undies in a knot tonight Chuck? Chill.

Not at all. The man of a thousand screen names presumed to declare what the
item *really* was, and why it was written.
He was wrong on both counts, wrong about the way the business works, and wrong
to run his mouth about a subject where he is so clearly underinformed.

Gould 0738 October 16th 04 02:51 AM

Did I say something to offend you? If so, I must have missed it.

I do know about Boating Mags and all magazines because I worked for a
marketing company and we used to "buy" these PR pieces all the time.

You presumed to declare a motivation behind the article. You were wrong.

You presumed to declare that there is an advertising deal in the works between
my publisher and the battery company. You are wrong again. There is no
quid-pro-quo as you insisted.(The company that retails this product in town
*does* advertise in my publisher's magazine, and all other regional
publications, and has done so every month for about 20 years. Odds are good
that they will advertise for another 20 whether we ever mentioned their name
outside of their ad space, or not. Our revenue from that account will not
increase, or decrease ten cents as a result of the interview).

When you run a specialty publication addressing a narrow field of interest,
there will certainly be many instances when an article features a company that
is also an advertiser. I suppose to be really uptight about it, we could adopt
a policy that read,
"We will refuse to accept any advertising from your firm for one issue prior
and two issues beyond the month any editorial regarding your company appears."
Not likely to happen. We try not to be whores, but by the same token there's no
point in being a self righteous martyr.

del cecchi October 16th 04 03:34 AM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Undies in a knot tonight Chuck? Chill.

Not at all. The man of a thousand screen names presumed to declare

what the
item *really* was, and why it was written.
He was wrong on both counts, wrong about the way the business works,

and wrong
to run his mouth about a subject where he is so clearly underinformed.

As an engineer, I found the article interesting but a little light on
details as has been noted by others. It did have hints of a penumbra of
an emanation of the kind of article Motor Trend was famous for. Do you
recall the raves for the Vega and the wonderful new engine process in
which the bores were anodized which was said to be far superior to using
liners? Popular Science was another magazine given to that sort of
article. I will not venture a guess as to the motivation of the authors
and editors. I doubt, except perhaps for motor trend, that it was so
crass as a straight money for editorial transaction.

Providing all the bloody details, especially if independently arrived
at, is way more work that one person can handle.

del cecchi

Wayne.B October 16th 04 06:28 AM

On 15 Oct 2004 23:27:09 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

I believe that "lighter per amp hour" is accurate.

Possibly a dangerous assumption since they are still lead-acid cells.

For any given battery chemistry such as lead-acid / nickel-cadmium /
NiMH / etc., capacity tracks very closely with weight. The way I read
your article, their "break through" was compressing more lead into the
same area (thinner plate separation). The batteries sound to me like
a variation on AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) which has been around for
awhile. As others have stated, I'd be interested in a side by side
tabulation of specifications against a conventional lead-acid 8D.
Even though there are big quality differences between 8Ds as expressed
in longevity, they all tend to have the same specifications.

Short Wave Sportfishing October 16th 04 11:49 AM

On 16 Oct 2004 01:51:52 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

When you run a specialty publication addressing a narrow field of interest,
there will certainly be many instances when an article features a company that
is also an advertiser. I suppose to be really uptight about it, we could adopt
a policy that read,

"We will refuse to accept any advertising from your firm for one issue prior
and two issues beyond the month any editorial regarding your company appears."
Not likely to happen. We try not to be whores, but by the same token there's no
point in being a self righteous martyr.

Interesting you should mention that. When I was slowly transitioning
out of the world of corporate piracy and back stabbing, I worked for a
year with the ARRL as a Technical Editor for their main magazine "QST"
and was the de-facto editor of "QEX" which was their heavy theory and
experimental magazine.

I asked that question one time at an Editorial meeting - it was when
several manufacturers were introducing DSP into their products and we
were testing the products - how do we avoid conflicts with brand
loyalty (I was a Yaesu guy for example), etc., personal preference and
still continue to accept ads from the companies.

It was interesting how the ARRL did it. First they would buy the
radios at various retail establishments at retail. Right off the
shelf. Then, they would farm the radios out to individuals by random
lot - some of them went overseas believe it or not. There were two
random reviewers and they were given a week to play with the gear,
write a review and return the radio to HQ. It was then given to a
staffer by random lot (you had to be a minimum Advanced to get one),
given a week and write a review. Then it came to the Technical
Editors who would read the reviews, play with the rigs to see what was
what, then the review was written.

What happened was very enlightening. Once you eliminated all the "my
Kenwood does this well, but...." and "Yaesu sucks because" and "Icom
does this better than..." you got a fairly accurate view of how the
radio preformed, what the faults were and a general impression of the
quality level - a very good picture of what the equipment did, looked
and operated like.

It was very fair.

My problem with boating and fishing mags is that they depend on the
ads for a living, thus saying something like "The Ranger T-top is
undersized and didn't quite fit the center console properly causing
vibrations and their unwanted side effects" is translated into "The
Ranger T-top, while somewhat under engineered, looks good on the boat
and has four rod holders". :)

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Jon Smithe October 16th 04 01:39 PM

JimH,
I think Chuck might be out of the loop, and doesn't realize the magazines
sell these fluff pieces to anyone who wants to pay for them.

What I can't figure out is why he is so upset about such a common practice.

Jon Smithe October 16th 04 01:43 PM

Gould,
I hate to tell you this, but you are the one uniformed. The question is why
are you so upset if your publisher asked you to write a "fluff" article. It
was a good "fluff" article, nothing to be ashamed of. It sounded like all
of the "reviews" in boating magazines.

Jon Smithe October 16th 04 01:48 PM

Gould,
I have no problems about Boating Mags lack of real reporting. No one
expects them to honestly review any product. I was talking to someone who
reviewed boats and he told me if they really come across a piece of ****
boat, in which they can not find anything good to say about the boat, they
just won't review it. They don't want to do anything to **** off their
bread and butter.

Jon Smithe October 16th 04 01:58 PM

Tom,
What it would really read much more positive than that. Something along the
lines of:
The beautiful lines of the Ranger T-Top will protect you from UV rays while
you troll for those monster fish using the built in rod holders. The T-Top
utilizes a unique process that allows Ranger to keep the weight as low as
possible, an important consideration for anyone who tows his boat using the
family car.

Wayne.B October 16th 04 03:41 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:49:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

My problem with boating and fishing mags is that they depend on the
ads for a living

Its worse than that. They also depend on the builders and dealers for
test boats since they can't afford to buy them at retail. If they
start making unfavorable comments, the supply of test boats will dry
up very quickly.

Wayne.B October 16th 04 03:56 PM

wrote:

I worked for a
year with the ARRL as a Technical Editor for their main magazine "QST"
and was the de-facto editor of "QEX" which was their heavy theory and
experimental magazine.

=============================

Interesting. Now I know where the "Short Wave Sportfishing" handle
comes from. One of the highlights of my ham career was working Doug
DeMaw on 80 CW while he was running one of his famous QRP rigs. That
was back in the early 70s when he was Tech Editor of QST.

Wayne.B October 16th 04 07:03 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:20:00 GMT, "Jon Smithe"
wrote:

I am surprised that no one told
Gould about it.

=================================

Chuck is a smart guy and he knows very well. His professional
connections however, require him to go cruising in "de nile" now and
then.

Short Wave Sportfishing October 16th 04 09:56 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:58:52 GMT, "Jon Smithe"
wrote:

Tom,
What it would really read much more positive than that. Something along the
lines of:
The beautiful lines of the Ranger T-Top will protect you from UV rays while
you troll for those monster fish using the built in rod holders. The T-Top
utilizes a unique process that allows Ranger to keep the weight as low as
possible, an important consideration for anyone who tows his boat using the
family car.

In my experience, that would be considered an outright lie, but other
would be considered "truth".

Trust me on this. :)

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Short Wave Sportfishing October 16th 04 09:56 PM

wrote:

I worked for a
year with the ARRL as a Technical Editor for their main magazine "QST"
and was the de-facto editor of "QEX" which was their heavy theory and
experimental magazine.

=============================

Interesting. Now I know where the "Short Wave Sportfishing" handle
comes from. One of the highlights of my ham career was working Doug
DeMaw on 80 CW while he was running one of his famous QRP rigs. That
was back in the early 70s when he was Tech Editor of QST.

Doug was an interesting individual - a creature of the times if you
will. Ever hear the story of the radio design that by all rights it
should never have worked? And most of the time didn't? He was a
master at it.

When Doug sent in something to QST, only the high mucky mucks were
allowed to fiddle with his articles. Us riff-raff weren't allowed to
question his musings. :)

I could tell you stories about DeMaw and the "Chicago Mafia" that ran
the league for a few years. :)

God, have I been a ham that long? Guess so. :)

All the best,

Tom
--------------

Short Wave Sportfishing October 16th 04 10:10 PM

wrote:

My problem with boating and fishing mags is that they depend on the
ads for a living

Its worse than that. They also depend on the builders and dealers for
test boats since they can't afford to buy them at retail. If they
start making unfavorable comments, the supply of test boats will dry
up very quickly.

Ok - my .02¢.

Because of time ahead and just-in-time design and production cycles,
it is almost impossible to react to consumer or critical evaluations
such that a better boat can be built incorporating those reviews.
What they can do is incorporate those design ideas forward in time,
but they cannot correct design flaws backward. And that's the major
problem.

I believe there is room for honest evaluation - you just have to work
at it, make arrangements with the manufacturers and force some issues.
Then maybe we'd get better boats for less money.

If I were still in the small boat market, I would have a boat custom
built. And I know where I would build it - Blue Fin Yachts over in
Bristol, RI. That way I could incorporate the ideas (like mounting
the fire extinguisher side ways instead of up and down) and other
things that make a good boat.

If pressed, I'd steal all the good ideas from Polar boats and have one
built by Blue Fin. :)

Later,

Tom

rmcinnis October 17th 04 01:02 AM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

You presumed to declare a motivation behind the article. You were wrong.

Well, I certainly don't know the circumstances behind the article, but is
sure has all the classic signs of a paid advertisement in disguise. You let
the manufacturer lead the discussion, talk only about the strong points,
don't provide any real facts or figures, include several statements that are
misleading, and don't ask any of the obvious questions the "inquiring minds"
would like to know.

This happens all the time. Many, if not all, magazines will trade an
article for either a direct payment or an agreement to run advertising, or
perhaps some other form of sponsership. I have created a new consumer
product and have been through all this. You pay the radio talk show host to
mention the product. You give Oprah one for herself, one for all her
friends, and one to give away on her show to get her to mention it. You pay
NBC big bucks to include one on their sit-com show and even write a show
that works it into the plot.

The marketing department writes "press releases" and sends them out to all
the relevant publications. We would write "articles" and send them out, and
they would get published word for word. We would even write our own
"interviews" and buy space in certain magazines.

Did your magazine actually conduct the interview, or did you just take copy
from the manufacturer? If you are really in a position to know, then I will
take it at your word. But don't be surprised if others doubt your story.

Rod

Gould 0738 October 17th 04 06:02 AM

Did your magazine actually conduct the interview, or did you just take copy
from the manufacturer?

*I* personally conducted the interview.

Got a microcassette recorder? I'll send you the tape.

Gould 0738 October 17th 04 06:23 AM

I believe that "lighter per amp hour" is accurate.

Possibly a dangerous assumption since they are still lead-acid cells.

Some comparisons for you:

The 210-amp Meridian battery weighs 131 pounds. That calculates at 1.60 amps
per pound.

A 225-amp West Marine gel cell battery weighs 161 pounds, delivering only 1.39
amps per pound.

The 245-amp West Marine AGM battery weighs 158 pounds, rivaling but not
equaling the Meridian amp/pound output at 1.55 amps per pound.

The West Marine 12-volt flooded cell 8D is rated at 170 amps, and weighs 132
pounds. The equates to less than 1.29 amps per pound.

Without bothering to run a comparsion against every single battery on the
market,
it is possible to establish that these batteries are indeed "lighter per amp
hour"
(or, more amp hours per pound) than many batteries, including every variety of
8D Marine battery offered by the nation's largest marine retailer.

Gould 0738 October 17th 04 06:40 AM

JimH,
I think Chuck might be out of the loop, and doesn't realize the magazines
sell these fluff pieces to anyone who wants to pay for them.

Wrong. I make 100% of the editorial decisions in the publication. Not exactly
"out of the loop".

What I can't figure out is why he is so upset about such a common practice.

Well then figure this out. First, I'm not "upset", just shocked that a guy who
doesn't know **** from shine about the situation presumes to insist that the
item was written to order and involves and advertising deal. You're just flat
wrong, John, Jon, whatever.... Insisting over and over again that you are
right, with *no* evidence other than your own insistence,
makes you look extremely silly.

Gould 0738 October 17th 04 06:50 AM

Gould,
I hate to tell you this, but you are the one uniformed. The question is why
are you so upset if your publisher asked you to write a "fluff" article

My publisher seldom asks me to write anything. I have full editorial
discretion.
That's a concept you probably wouldn't understand, as all you can seem to write
are snide personal remarks about other people.

Why don't you get back over to the OT political threads where you belong, and
stop trying to pick fights and start personal arguments in an on-topic thread?

You want to bitch about my personal or political philosophies, fine. Do it
where it's appropriate. Trying to hijack a thread into a personal squabble is
*exactly* what your very favorite participant in the NG is famous for. Is part
of your fixation on that person a burning desire to emulate his behavior?

It sounded like all
of the "reviews" in boating magazines.

It wasn't a product review, it was an informational interview and represented
as such.

I'd think a guy who claims to be an expert
on writing and publishing, as well as a mind-reader, would know the difference.

Wayne.B October 17th 04 02:34 PM

On 17 Oct 2004 05:23:20 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:
The 210-amp Meridian battery weighs 131 pounds. That calculates at 1.60 amps
per pound.

A 225-amp West Marine gel cell battery weighs 161 pounds, delivering only 1.39
amps per pound.

The 245-amp West Marine AGM battery weighs 158 pounds, rivaling but not
equaling the Meridian amp/pound output at 1.55 amps per pound.

The West Marine 12-volt flooded cell 8D is rated at 170 amps, and weighs 132
pounds. The equates to less than 1.29 amps per pound.

Based on your numbers, it does look like the AGMs are delivering about
25% more power per pound. Significantly better, but not exactly a
break through. More telling in my mind is that the Meridian seems to
be about the same as other AGMs which is the appropriate criteria for
judging their claims. Getting a lot more capacity in the same space
as an 8D is certainly an attractive proposition regardless of power to
weight ratios. If they'd like to send me a couple, I'd be happy to
conduct some real world life cycle testing for them. :-)

Jon Smithe October 17th 04 02:56 PM

SWS,

It sounds like you know what you are talking about, but what did I say was a
lie? It was all fluff with out really saying anything. When someone cuts
the gauge on metal, they put in "strengthen" ridges or corrugation type
folds to make up for lack of strength, hence "the unique process".

If someone is towing a boat with the family car, weight is important
consideration.

I don't think I lied, I just emphasized the positive and ignored the fact
that the T-Top will not be able to take a lot of excess stress, such as one
might find in strong winds or a careless boater grabbing the T-Top.

Jon Smithe October 17th 04 03:12 PM

Gould,

I thought your Fluff article was a well written PR piece that was worthy of
any boating magazine. I also believe the PR piece was a payoff for
advertising, both for buying past ads and future ads.

My guess is your "distributor or store" selling the product, contacted your
editor or sales dept. and said, he I have a great new product can you write
up a "review" of the product. They knew he was a good steady advertiser and
thought it would be a great way to fill up some pages and give your
advertiser something special for all of his ads. The editor or sales dept.
knows to refuse to do these PR articles can result in lost ad revenues going
to your competitors..

Now, if a distributor or store who never advertised in your magazine had
contacted your magazine for a fluff piece on a similar product I sincerely
doubt we would ever see the piece, unless he agreed to run some ads.

No need to be ashamed, you are in the business to make money, but don't fool
yourself into believing their is not a "payoff" for advertising..

Any reader of your magazine would know that this was not really a review,
but a nice PR article. It doesn't matter if it is a piece that is sent out
by the builder's PR dept, or a magazine who supplies the writer with a tape
recorder so he can repeat what the builder tells him, it is a fluff PR
piece.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
The magazines, the boat builders and suppliers, and most of the general
public know of the symbiotic relationship, I am surprised that no one
told
Gould about it.

Suddenly we're backpedaling from "a PR piece written in exchange for a
advertising commitment" to a "symbiotic relationship"?

Every aspect of any economy is a "symbiotic relationship."

Jon Smithe October 17th 04 03:34 PM

Gould,

I was not trying to pick a fight with anyone, and was meant to support your
magazine position in running the infomercial.. I was responding to
someone's comment in which he said " Chuck, was that an advertisement? I
read a lot of nice words, but didn't
see any test results or other statistics to support the claims."

My reply was "It's a PR piece for a new product. "Articles" like this is
very common in
all boating magazines. .Normally they agree to run so many ads if the
magazine agrees to run the piece."

Your reply was "You don't know a goddam thing about boats, and don't even
begin to
insinuate you know anything about boating magazines."

In other posts you continue to make personal insults and were trying to pick
a fight. I continued to keep the discussion on topic about boating
magazines.

As far as you comment about the editor asking you to write the piece, didn't
you say your editor asked you to give the president of the company a call?
If not, how did you hear about the product and get the presidents name and
telephone number so you 'interview" him?

Even though you obviously was the one trying to start a fight, I have
deliberately stayed away from a fight and keep the discussion on topic.

As you can see from the all other replies everyone agreed that this is the
typical well written PR piece run by boating magazines.

Again, I am amazed at how upset you became when I made my supporting
comment. I have done everything to keep this on a discussion about boating
magazines, you have made this into a discussion of personalities and not
issues. According to your standards, repeated often in this NG, that is
only done when someone believes they have lost the argument.