BoatBanter.com

-   -   White "paint" inside FG lockers ? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2372-white-%22paint%22-inside-fg-lockers.html)

Sven December 15th 03 04:21 AM

White "paint" inside FG lockers ?

I'm looking for "paint" that I could apply inside lockers and cubbyholes
to give a background that would easily show lost items or dirt. IOW, not
something to protect, but just to brighten the background. The current
surface is the interior FG of the hull.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Gould 0738 December 15th 03 05:30 AM

White "paint" inside FG lockers ?

I use a glossy, white, yacht enamel inside lockers and other concealed spaces.

Gives a finished appearance, and it improves visibility.

Warning, get plenty of ventilation if you use this stuff inside the boat. The
fumes can literally knock you out. (Means you could probably get some huffing
teenager to paint your boat for free! Just kiddin')

JimL December 15th 03 07:39 AM

White "paint" inside FG lockers ?

Sven,

I don't know if this would be appropriate in a marine environment, but
for painting metal, and would work on ANY surface as far as I can tell,
is 'Devflex' by ICI. If I recall correctly, ICI is a Sherwin Williams
company. I've used it many times on commercial upfits on painted
metal door frames as well as only primed frames. The stuff is
excellent, hardends/cures faster and harder than oil based paints and is
a latex which can be used over oil or latex paints. It's top advantage
is also its highest disadvantage. It dries immediately! I have found
that if I start at one end of a door frame, by the time I've finished at
the other end, I can begin the second coat. Again, I don't know about
marine use, but it is an inter/exterior paint. If you use it, I'll warn
you now, if you get it on you, forget washing it off like you would a
normal latex based paint. Wait until you take a shower and it'll come
right off.

-JimL