BoatBanter.com

-   -   Volvo-Penta 5.7L Carb w/ SX Outdrive - Oil Opinions & Crankcase Capacity (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2359-volvo-penta-5-7l-carb-w-sx-outdrive-oil-opinions-crankcase-capacity.html)

Bear December 14th 03 02:52 PM

Volvo-Penta 5.7L Carb w/ SX Outdrive - Oil Opinions & Crankcase Capacity

New boat owner... I changed fluids and winterized my '97 Chapparal
yesterday. Questions:

1) Volvo pushes synthetics for crankcase and outdrive, yet all the
boat places around me (Austin - San Antonio) said to use regular
20w-50 motor oil in crankcase and non-suynthetic in outdrive... Of
course they said to change every 100 hours or per season. Experience
/ Opinions?

2) Volvo has in the owner's manual for the "Crankcase Capacity":
5 quarts (4.7 liters), 6.0 quarts (5.7 liters) with filter."
Probably a stupid question...but do I put in 5 or 6 quarts? I put in
6 - ran the motror while I was fogging it, it is still above the
"full" mark (so I am "thinking" I should have gone w/ the 5
quarts...).

3) Any thoughts / experience on spark plugs for this motor???

Thanks!

Bear