BoatBanter.com

-   -   52' waves!!!!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/22811-52-waves.html)

bomar September 16th 04 01:23 AM

52' waves!!!!!

Was watching the Weather Channel and heard a report of 52' waves due to Ivan
south of Mobile AL!

Even Hairy's fictional Lobsta boat would have a few troubles with that....

--
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato

Calif Bill September 16th 04 02:49 AM

Can not be so. Jaxass says the water is not deep enough for hundreds of
miles off the Panhandle to support more than a 5-8' or there abouts wave.
Is a conspiracy between NOAA and the military to prevent embarassment
because of a wrong prediction.
Bill
;)

LaBomba182 September 16th 04 03:41 AM

Subject: 52' waves!!!!!
From: "Calif Bill"

Can not be so. Jaxass says the water is not deep enough for hundreds of
miles off the Panhandle to support more than a 5-8' or there abouts wave.
Is a conspiracy between NOAA and the military to prevent embarassment
because of a wrong prediction.
Bill
;)

At this point, once again, the Emperor has been shown not to have any clothing.

And it's not a pretty sight.

Capt. Bill

Calif Bill September 16th 04 06:37 AM

From: "Calif Bill"

Can not be so. Jaxass says the water is not deep enough for hundreds of
miles off the Panhandle to support more than a 5-8' or there abouts wave.
Is a conspiracy between NOAA and the military to prevent embarassment
because of a wrong prediction.
Bill
;)

At this point, once again, the Emperor has been shown not to have any

clothing.

And it's not a pretty sight.

Capt. Bill

Even with the Speedo it is not a pretty sight.

Bill Kiene September 16th 04 04:48 PM

I was once in 50 foot seas coming in from Turneffe Atoll to the mainland of
Belize in a 40' sportfisher.

We ran down these 'tunnels' and then turned and drove up and over them.

One of the times I thought it might be over soon?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

bomar September 16th 04 05:27 PM

Waves of that size might be a perfect setting for boat transmissions.. down
**** climbing the wave, up shift going down ;)

Here is a link to the closest buoy:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42040

52.5 feet was the waves reported at 6:50 PM .... for some reason the buoy
didn't report wave height for the prior 3 hours....

That buoy was only 8 nm from the eye. Notice the air pressure dropped to
28.21 " !!!!

"Bill Kiene"
wrote

LaBomba182 September 16th 04 05:28 PM

From: "Bill Kiene"

I was once in 50 foot seas coming in from Turneffe Atoll to the mainland of
Belize in a 40' sportfisher.

We ran down these 'tunnels' and then turned and drove up and over them.

One of the times I thought it might be over soon?

Sorry but I have to call BS on this one. :-)

If you had true 50 footers I don't see how you could get in through the cuts in
the barrier reef.

Capt. Bill

Glenn S. September 17th 04 01:39 PM

Once someone posted the linked to that buoy, I watched it for quite awhile
when Ivan was approaching. It was neat watching the wave heights and
barometer over the course of the storm. Definitely an interesting site.

--
G.D.Smith
Harpers Ferry, WV

FOR SALE: 2003 Swee****er 22' Pontoon Boat
http://icanhelp56.homestead.com/gs_pontoon01.html
--

"bomar" wrote in message
Was watching the Weather Channel and heard a report of 52' waves due to
Ivan
south of Mobile AL!

Even Hairy's fictional Lobsta boat would have a few troubles with

that....

--
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato

---