BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boats used for towing (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2160-boats-used-towing.html)

Jim Bailey November 26th 03 01:21 AM

Boats used for towing

What makes a boat good for towing ? Is there particular manufacturers that
SeaTow, BoatUS, Vessel Assist, etc. go to for these boats ? Some I've seen
look like specialty boats while others look like plain center consoles, and
yet others that look like very plain work/utility boats. What makes a boat
for this use special and appropriate ? Just curious.

jim bailey

Capt. Frank Hopkins November 27th 03 04:58 AM

Boats used for towing

Hi Jim,
Around north Florida, Towboat is using a converted USMC 32' twin diesel
RIB for offshore. In the river, diesel powered (converted) Shamrock CC's
seem to be their choice. One captain confided he built his out of a used
Shamrock hull and installed a Yanmar for about $50K.

It seems that diesel inboards are preferred for power hooked into a
industrial transmission. Most of the Shamrocks turn a big 4 blade, low
rpm prop. I don't know what the fellow with the RIB is using, but his
boat works very well. I do know that displacement and "plow" play a
factor, but exactly what I am not sure.

Happy Holidays,

Capt. Frank Hopkins

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks