BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/21479-mercury-marine-470-3-7-liter.html)

Glenn Deneweth August 13th 04 07:12 PM

Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter

I was told by my mechanic that these are not very good engines. Does anyone
how any comments? Are they difficult to rebuild? Expensive?

Glenn

Harry Krause August 13th 04 07:54 PM

Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter

Glenn Deneweth wrote:

I was told by my mechanic that these are not very good engines. Does anyone
how any comments? Are they difficult to rebuild? Expensive?

Glenn

I have some comemnts on these engines, Glenn.

--
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -

John Wentworth August 13th 04 08:38 PM

Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter

"Glenn Deneweth" wrote in message
I was told by my mechanic that these are not very good engines. Does

anyone
how any comments? Are they difficult to rebuild? Expensive?

I owned a 470 for over 10 years and got excellent performance from it. I had
no significant problems with the engine, although I did have a serious
problem with the outdrive due to my own laziness (stupidity?). The motor is
Mercury-built (I've heard it's based on a Ford tractor block, but ???),
unlike it's peers which are GM or Ford auto engine based. That does mean you
won't be able to purchase engine internals from an auto parts store so that
could increase the cost of a rebuild. All 470's are closed-system cooled, a
nice feature if you run salt water.
Early versions had problems with the alternators ( a constant current idea
that didn't work out too well), but that should have been resolved years
ago.It's an easy engine to work on for regular maintenance, and winterizing
is straight forward. Compression ratio is 8.8 to 1, and the manual calls for
compression pressure to be 150psi with an allowable variance of 20psi
between all cylinders.I always ran premium fuel, the manual calls for 88
octane. (if it's pre-1975, leaded fuel is recommended). Oil pressure should
be 30-55psi at 2000 rpm and it holds 5.5 quarts of oil.

I can't give you advice on degree-of-difficulty for an engine rebuild, I
never got the "opportunity" to rebuild mine.

Glenn Deneweth August 13th 04 09:55 PM

Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter

Harry Krause writes...

I have some comemnts on these engines, Glenn.

I didn't expect you of all people....

Glenn------Kerry must of had one in his Swift boat in Vietnam.

Terry Rago August 13th 04 10:08 PM

Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter

"Glenn Deneweth" wrote in message
I was told by my mechanic that these are not very good engines. Does

anyone
how any comments? Are they difficult to rebuild? Expensive?

Glenn

I currently have two in a Carver. Just bought rebuilds from Jasper. You
can buy parts fro these from auto as they are just a Ford 460 cut in half.
460 pistons, lifters,heads,( the standard 460 head has to have a hole
drilled to be used).
They are strong and are one of the most fuel efficient engines in their
class. If you do have to replace blocks then they are very expensive. Hope
this helps

Terry

Terry Rago August 13th 04 10:34 PM

Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter

Glenn,
tried to mail you but got errors. Here is some info.
Rebuilding is really up to your mechanical skills. I had a few
extra bucks and decided to buy rebuilds ($2400.00 Ea). But doing it yourself
would be much cheaper. My "Piston Slap" turned into a large hole in the
block when the rod let go. They are infamous for coolant leaks, either from
the coolant reservoir into the exhaust or the dreaded "Cam Seal" leak.
Here is a web site for everything you ever wanted to know about the 3.7
www.breezeworks.net. Check the discussion boards. Lots of good info.

Terry

Comcast News August 13th 04 10:44 PM

Mercury Marine 470 / 3.7 Liter

Glenn,
Harry was trying to tell you that he knows everything about the Mercury
Marine 470 (yeah right), but he wont' tell you because you are a damn
rightie. Somehow I think you will survive without Harry's input.

JamesgangNC August 14th 04 02:43 PM

I'd replace them with chevy 4's or 6's if they are shot. You will of course
find some folks that defend them. Basically this was mercs attempt to get
into the inboard engine business. That they gave up and went back to the
major manufacturers like chevy and ford should tell you something. The
basic chevy engines are an order of magnitude more available for parts and
service.

Cleesturtle August 14th 04 03:59 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:54:24 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Glenn Deneweth wrote:

I was told by my mechanic that these are not very good engines. Does anyone
how any comments? Are they difficult to rebuild? Expensive?

Glenn

I have some comemnts on these engines, Glenn.

LOL!

Then why not share right now?

Oh thats right...you dont have a boat, and have to look up your
"comments" on the web.