BoatBanter.com

-   -   Merc outboard questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/21280-merc-outboard-questions.html)

Jay August 9th 04 08:59 AM

Merc outboard questions

Hi all:

I just purchased a 1963 Mercury 1000 E / 100 HP short shaft, gear shift
outboard motor for my 1963 Crestliner and I was born in 1963 so my stars are
all alligned. I am driving a rediculous distance to pick this up but great
price and running condition force me to indulge my whim. I have ordered the
owners manual, shop manual and parts list/schematics but they won't be here
before I pick up the motor.

My question: What does "gear shift" mean? Is it simply
forward/neutral/reverse? Or does it mean first, second, third(?) gear
shifting? I checked out http://www.oldmercs.com/196263Merc1000.htm but it
doesn't explain the "gear shift" designation.

Thanks,
Jay

Clams Canino August 9th 04 11:11 AM

Merc outboard questions

Yes, it just means forward/neutral/reverse. The E means electric start.

Short shaft is the 15" leg. (kinda rare)

It has a duel point ignition, each set fires 3 of the cylinders.

I'm a bit of an expert on these motors....

-W

Greg August 9th 04 04:28 PM

Merc outboard questions

My question: What does "gear shift" mean?

In 1963 the idea of shifting gears was fairly new to Mercury. Older models
simply stopped and started running the engine backwards to back up. I knew some
racers who stayed with the 50's style for years after that because they thought
the "one way" foot was tougher, slimmer and it was certainly easier to work on.

Matt Lang August 9th 04 10:32 PM

Merc outboard questions

(Greg) wrote in message ...
My question: What does "gear shift" mean?

In 1963 the idea of shifting gears was fairly new to Mercury. Older models
simply stopped and started running the engine backwards to back up. I knew some
racers who stayed with the 50's style for years after that because they thought
the "one way" foot was tougher, slimmer and it was certainly easier to work on.

Yes, these motors were funny. I think it was called "Direct Reversing"
and required a fairly complicated ignition setup. It happened that the
motor when stopped and reversed didnt restart ... bad if you are just
about heading to the launch :(

The reason for this "invention" was that Merc didnt have a strong
enough gearcase for their powerheads. Luckily this changed later on
and the direct reversing was put to rest.

Matt

Jay August 10th 04 04:50 AM

Merc outboard questions

Thanks, especially to you and to Matt. I'm sure I'll have plenty of
questions in the future.

Jay

hlink.net...