Mole

Default Composite stringer grids

lol I'm on Long Island. Maybe I caught him on a bad day or something. But
it DID cost him a sale. I left there and bought my Trophy instead. So
maybe in another two years I go there and try again.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Mole wrote:

I don't disagree with you that wood is an acceptable material for boats.

It
brought Columbus here...the vikings, etc. lol So it's proved itself. I

got
the impression you were comparing wood framing in construction to boat
framing...that's all.

No, I'm not making that kind of comparison. I'm just point out that wood
is a perfectly suitable structural material when properly used.

By the way...that's a nice looking boat of yours. Parker is also on my

list
for the next boat. If they didn't mistreat me here at the local dealer I
probably would have one right now. But the dealer was arrogant. When I
asked if he had one for me to look at (the 21' Sport Cabin) his only

answer
was "I have a yard full of boats". Ok...like I didn't know that? And he
refused to get up off his as* to show me around. lol So I left. But

I'll
give him a second chance in two years.

Where are you located? I have first-hand knowledge of two quality Parker
dealers, one in Deale, Maryland, and the other up on Long Island.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Backyard Renegade

Harry Krause wrote in message news:bphaj5
Further, the one photo I've seen of her boat, and it isn't a very good
photo, shows a craft that looks carvel-built to me, or, maybe
clinker-built. Though it could have popped out of a mold that way, it
may well be a wood-hulled boat. Looks to be a planing hull, too, or at
least semi-displacement. If so, it is grossly underpowered with that
rusting hulk of a "diesel" outboard.

I dunno, and I don't have big boats but if I did, mine would look
nice. I took a quick look at the photos of the Parker, and I am sure
it is a great tool, but it looks like a sterile, plastic, white box
with a oversized and misplaced logo dead center in the middle of the
ugly square, too forward, cabin. I don't have a big boat, no, but if I
did, it would have a little character and it would have some thought
above the waterline...
Scotty, who just to get it out before Harry strikes back, does not
drink, and is not a professional boat designer, but I do know when a
boat is just plain ugly...
Scotty
Harry Krause

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

I can't really disagree with you on this, Scotty. The "pilothouse" part
of our Parker is utilitarian and boxy and looks kind of sterile. I would
call the Parker pilothouses "homely," not ugly. The cabin *is* too far
forward, and you pay a price for this in really choppy water; it is far
more comfy under those conditions to drive the boat from the aft control
station.

On the other hand, the pilothouse cabin boat was designed for fishermen
who want the convenience and comfort of a cabin when driving their boats
out in the elements to get where they want to wet their lines. In its
boxiness, the cabin maximizes what room is available, while still
allowing easy access to the bow along reasonably wide side decks. I'm
6'3" and I can stand inside the pilothouse without banging my head on
the cabin roof. All the windowes are heavy duty, overbuilt, I would say,
and are, I believe, a product of Canada or Great Britain. They do not
leak. The front and side windows open, and the wipers are pretty powerful.

There's no carpeting or wood or tinsel on the floor of the main cabin.
When I get back to shore, I scrub it out with a scrub brush and the
water drains into a large round hold in the floor and into a channel
that takes it to a drain hole in the transom.

The pilothouse seats are pretty comfy, the visibility is pretty good,
and the controls fall readily to hand. There's a refrigerator, a plumbed
freshwater sink, a small one-burner stove, an electric head and a
sleeping/recreation area for two adults. I've not slept in the forward
cabin, but I have recreated it it.

The business end of the boat, the cockpit, is enormous for a 25' boat
and is uncluttered. It is a wonderful fishing/entertainment platform.
There is room for several couples to dance in it.

So, I do agree with you that the pilothouse part of the boat ain't too
pretty.

The hull, on the other hand, is really a work of art. Great lines,
beautiful Carolina flare on the bow, easily driven, and a pretty flat
wake at most running speeds and angles.

We own a prettier boat, and I've owned lots of prettier boats in the
past, but this Parker is a fabulous fishing platform. And that's why we
bought her.

Visit Yo Ho at:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/hakrause

--
Email sent to is never read.
Gould 0738

If you want to have a large cockpit for fishing, the house has to go pretty far
forward. :-)