BoatBanter.com

-   -   Old Town Tripper Comments Please (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/185919-re-old-town-tripper-comments-please.html)

[email protected] July 23rd 20 02:16 AM

Old Town Tripper Comments Please

On Wednesday, November 1, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bud wrote:
I am considering purchasing a Tripper because of the way it is billed
in catalogs and by dealers. However, I am curious. In addition to
what it is supposed to do (be a tandem wilderness tripper), can it be
paddled well solo? I would be especially interested in paddlers'
experiences/comments regarding soloing the Tripper over distances of
10-20 miles.
Thanks in advance,
Bud

This is off topic but,
I was sitting along the South Branch of the Potomac river recently. It is not much more than a big stream, with a few ripples.
People mostly tube and kayak it.
As I sat there, here comes a big green yacht. I hollered to an older fella who was soloing, how long is that thing? 17'4" was the answer. Is that a tripper, I ask? Yea, 1984, I've turned it around to single paddle. I see that, I said.
He seemed to be with, maybe his grand kids, who were in kayaks. There is a back wash across from where we were sitting and the kids pulled in. Grandpa twists the paddle a little bit and the next thing you know, he's sitting in the backwash, still as a rock, facing up river. He sat there for maybe 5 or 10 minutes before taking off. The kids came along side and you could really get the feel of how big the Tripper is. Even with a 36 year patina, it was a beautiful sight.
I couldn't take my eyes off the scene. Trippers are cool.