BoatBanter.com

-   -   boating today (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/185914-boating-today.html)

Bill[_12_] July 21st 20 11:16 PM

boating today

Actual boat experience. Took the boat out to the Sacramento Delta and San
Joaquin River for a test. New starter, worked. Boat ran like crap when
starting. Gasoline smell. Had some gas around the water separator. When
I pulled the can to replace, I carry spares in the boat, there were 3 pin
hole corrosion holes on the back side. So, I assume the starting up run
like crap was air in the lines to the fuel injections. Ran great after
replacement and no gas fumes. Getting ready for a Donner lake trip.

Justan July 22nd 20 01:43 AM

boating today

On 7/21/20 3:16 PM, Bill wrote:

Actual boat experience. Took the boat out to the Sacramento Delta and San
Joaquin River for a test. New starter, worked. Boat ran like crap when
starting. Gasoline smell. Had some gas around the water separator. When
I pulled the can to replace, I carry spares in the boat, there were 3 pin
hole corrosion holes on the back side. So, I assume the starting up run
like crap was air in the lines to the fuel injections. Ran great after
replacement and no gas fumes. Getting ready for a Donner lake trip.

Probably a little water in the fuel which the filter dutifully removed. How
long since you previously replaced the filter?

[email protected] July 22nd 20 01:55 AM

boating today

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 22:16:44 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Actual boat experience. Took the boat out to the Sacramento Delta and San
Joaquin River for a test. New starter, worked. Boat ran like crap when
starting. Gasoline smell. Had some gas around the water separator. When
I pulled the can to replace, I carry spares in the boat, there were 3 pin
hole corrosion holes on the back side. So, I assume the starting up run
like crap was air in the lines to the fuel injections. Ran great after
replacement and no gas fumes. Getting ready for a Donner lake trip.

I mask off the gasket and intake and shoot several coats of rustoleum
on those filter cans before I install them., They seem to last a lot
longer. I always replace them for rust long before the filter is
actually bad. I wish I could find some with an aluminum can.
I have an electric fuel pump up stream so a leak becomes apparent
pretty fast. I usually toss them at the first sign of a rust spot.

Bill[_12_] July 22nd 20 06:45 AM

boating today

wrote:

[...]

Can is maybe a year old. Had water in tank last year. Can looked good.
At least the side I could see. When I pulled the can, fuel was spitting
out. Is electric fuel pumps. Filter is after the low pressure pump.
AMA I did not have a bilge with 20 gallons of fuel the way the can leaked.
Maybe the wrench freed up the leaks.

John[_6_] July 22nd 20 04:14 PM

boating today

wrote:

Actual boat experience. Took the boat out to the Sacramento Delta and San
Joaquin River for a test. New starter, worked. Boat ran like crap when
starting. Gasoline smell. Had some gas around the water separator. When
I pulled the can to replace, I carry spares in the boat, there were 3 pin
hole corrosion holes on the back side. So, I assume the starting up run
like crap was air in the lines to the fuel injections. Ran great after
replacement and no gas fumes. Getting ready for a Donner lake trip.

Wow! Glad to hear you were able to diagnose and fix the damn problem.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Bill[_12_] July 22nd 20 06:04 PM

boating today

wrote:

Actual boat experience. Took the boat out to the Sacramento Delta and San
Joaquin River for a test. New starter, worked. Boat ran like crap when
starting. Gasoline smell. Had some gas around the water separator. When
I pulled the can to replace, I carry spares in the boat, there were 3 pin
hole corrosion holes on the back side. So, I assume the starting up run
like crap was air in the lines to the fuel injections. Ran great after
replacement and no gas fumes. Getting ready for a Donner lake trip.

Wow! Glad to hear you were able to diagnose and fix the damn problem.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

I was first looking for a leak where I disconnected a fuel line from the
separator to get better access to the starter.