BoatBanter.com

-   -   Where have the "T's" gone? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/185763-where-have-ts-gone.html)

Its Me June 8th 20 02:13 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

[email protected] June 8th 20 04:10 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 06:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

===

Mus be a souf hing.

https://www.avg.com

[email protected] June 8th 20 04:42 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

wrote:

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

Ebonics.
Everyone suddenly wants to sound like Bodie on "The Wire".
My buddy came out of the Maryland Corrections system with that speech
defect and it took him a couple years to get over it.

Its Me June 8th 20 05:13 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

wrote:

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

===

Mus be a souf hing.

It's a national thing. You hear it on nationally syndicated shows.

I think Greg is right, it seems to be coming from the young, black hip-hop rap scene. Then like COVID it spreads through society.

John[_6_] June 8th 20 05:33 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 06:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

Agreed!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Mr. Luddite[_4_] June 8th 20 06:16 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

wrote:

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

===

Mus be a souf hing.

I didn't know "R's" existed until I went into the Navy.

https://www.avg.com

B June 8th 20 06:25 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

In article ,
says...

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

Language changes over time. You won't be able to stop it and there is no
reason you should.

[email protected] June 8th 20 10:31 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

wrote:

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

===

Mus be a souf hing.

More like "Soufeese" if you are around DC.

[email protected] June 8th 20 10:37 PM

Where have the "T's" gone?

wrote:

We have a pretty, very young new reporter on the local NBC affiliate. She does something that drives us crazy.

Last night we watched a bit of the show "Titans", which is an athelectic challenge hosted by "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson. His announcer was doing it too.

Titan was pronounced "Ti-an".
Important as "Impor-ant".
Mountain as "Moun-an".

Where the hell is that missing T sound, and when did society start thinking it's OK or cool to mispronounce words? It's like fingernails on a chalkbooard to me.

===

Mus be a souf hing.

I didn't know "R's" existed until I went into the Navy.

.... that is the sound you folks put where it doesn't belong, like
"Cubar".

There was an old CG story about a Boston guy lost around the outer
banks and neither one of them could understand what the other was
saying.
It is pretty interesting when you get around people from other places
in the US and hear how much differently they speak the same language,
then a UK or Australian/NZ guy shows up. ;-)