Junior Member

Default Mercruiser 3.0 in a 2008 Bayliner

Having shifting problems with our boat. Problems started at the end of last year. Shifting into reverse is fine. Shifting into forward clunks and grinds. The throttle handle needs to go quite a way forward to get it to engage. By then it is revving higher causing the clink and grind to be worse. I have taken the shifter cable off the linkage and moved it on and out and it seems to engage forward reverse and neutral just fine. I did no adjusting last year to cause anything. I took the Gen II model 4000 shifter apart to see if anything was obvious but no? Any thoughts ? Dan

On Thu, 21 May 2020 13:00:15 +0100, drivett
wrote:

Having shifting problems with our boat. Problems started at the end of
last year. Shifting into reverse is fine. Shifting into forward clunks
and grinds. The throttle handle needs to go quite a way forward to get
it to engage. By then it is revving higher causing the clink and grind
to be worse. I have taken the shifter cable off the linkage and moved it
on and out and it seems to engage forward reverse and neutral just fine.
I did no adjusting last year to cause anything. I took the Gen II model
4000 shifter apart to see if anything was obvious but no? Any thoughts ?
Dan

I would still be checking the cable adjustment. Something may have
moved or stretched. I just needed to adjust my F-70 for a similar
problem. If it goes out of adjustment again I will be thinking about a
cable or opening up the controller to see if anything in there
loosened up or wore out.

drivett Wrote in message:
Having shifting problems with our boat. Problems started at the end oflast year. Shifting into reverse is fine. Shifting into forward clunksand grinds. The throttle handle needs to go quite a way forward to getit to engage. By then it is revving higher causing the clink and grindto be worse. I have taken the shifter cable off the linkage and moved iton and out and it seems to engage forward reverse and neutral just fine.I did no adjusting last year to cause anything. I took the Gen II model4000 shifter apart to see if anything was obvious but no? Any thoughts ?Dan-- drivett

I would probably replace the lower shift cable, and shift lever
componants in the bell housing. Water getting into the cable
through the shift lever has probably set up corrosion and binding
especially if used in salt water.
--
Warning. Use provided links at your own risk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Junior Member

Thanks I will try both. Adjustment first if that does not work I will replace the lower shifter cable. I am I fresh water. Dan

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 1:49:05 PM UTC-4, drivett wrote:
Having shifting problems with our boat. Problems started at the end of
last year. Shifting into reverse is fine. Shifting into forward clunks
and grinds. The throttle handle needs to go quite a way forward to get
it to engage. By then it is revving higher causing the clink and grind
to be worse. I have taken the shifter cable off the linkage and moved it
on and out and it seems to engage forward reverse and neutral just fine.
I did no adjusting last year to cause anything. I took the Gen II model
4000 shifter apart to see if anything was obvious but no? Any thoughts ?
Dan

--
drivett

Ah, a boating thread.