BoatBanter.com

-   -   Great boat docking demo (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/184270-great-boat-docking-demo.html)

Kevin McNaly January 27th 20 01:21 AM

Great boat docking demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frZNAc6jFac

Adorable Deplorable January 27th 20 12:31 PM

Great boat docking demo

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:21:07 +0000, Kevin McNaly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frZNAc6jFac

You gotta admit - having not an ounce of wind makes it a bit easier!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Kevin McNaly January 27th 20 01:26 PM

WIND and Docking

No wind makes docking easier indeed, but with a good amount of throttle, unless it was high winds, would not make a great deal of difference.

Kevin

[email protected] January 27th 20 01:46 PM

Great boat docking demo

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 07:31:46 -0500, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:21:07 +0000, Kevin McNaly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frZNAc6jFac

You gotta admit - having not an ounce of wind makes it a bit easier!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

===

Not to mention a nice wide slip with no worries about adjacent boats
or pilings.

[email protected] January 27th 20 05:20 PM

Great boat docking demo

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:21:07 +0000, Kevin McNaly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frZNAc6jFac

You gotta admit - having not an ounce of wind makes it a bit easier!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

===

Not to mention a nice wide slip with no worries about adjacent boats
or pilings.

.... and twin screws.

Tim January 27th 20 07:28 PM

Great boat docking demo

Kevin McNaly

No wind makes docking easier indeed, but with a good amount of
throttle, unless it was high winds, would not make a great deal of
difference.

Kevin

--
Kevin McNaly

ā€”-

Iā€™m glad he has the advantage of twin power. My old 27ā€™ Chris Craft was single with an offset rudder. It was impossible to back straight regardless what you did

[email protected] January 27th 20 07:41 PM

Great boat docking demo

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:21:07 +0000, Kevin McNaly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frZNAc6jFac

You gotta admit - having not an ounce of wind makes it a bit easier!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

===

Not to mention a nice wide slip with no worries about adjacent boats
or pilings.

... and twin screws.

===

Twin screws help a lot but they are not a magic panacea, and neither
are bow thrusters. Our old Bertram 33 had a huge amount of windage
and relatively shallow draft. A large gust of wind from the side
would get the boat moving sideways so fast that it was very difficult
to recover. The Grand Banks with a full keel, 3x the weight, and 5
1/2 foot draft is much easier to dock. Neither has/had bow thrusters
and I usually don't feel the need for them. They are almost mandatory
on a single screw boat unless you are really, really good.

[email protected] January 27th 20 10:15 PM

Great boat docking demo

wrote:

[...]

I have a single screw pontoon. I know about the wind ;-)

[email protected] January 28th 20 05:10 AM

Great boat docking demo

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure. At least you have vectored thrust and a well sheltered
dock.

[email protected] January 28th 20 07:20 AM

Great boat docking demo

wrote:

[...]

My dock is muscle memory, I come in pretty hot sometimes. It is when I
am other places that I get to practice my boat handling skills. Just
getting turned around in Jew Fish creek can be tricky if there is 5 or
6 kts of current. It is not a whole lot wider than a boat length. I
just stuff the bow in a hole where the current is less and let nature
bring me around if I can. Other places it is not that easy. I also get
a lot of practice picking up trash in the river and bay.

Of course that all pays off where it counts, coming into Doc Ford's on
a windy day when they have a crowd. You gotta look good ;-)