Old October 7th 19, 02:57 PM posted to rec.boats

Default Happiness is...

On Sun, 06 Oct 2019 14:20:17 -0400, wrote:

...perfectly drilled holes.

I'm in the process of installing a 6KW radar scanner on the trawler
flybridge to replace a 38 y/o Raytheon unit. The Raytheon was a good
radar in its day and it functioned perfectly (for its age) until
recently. It wasn't really worth repairing though and I'd been
wanting a newer Furuno unit. The downside is that I'd have to replace
the scanner and run new cables into places that are barely accessible.
First I had to drill new mounting holes however. The mounting plate
is 3/16ths stainless, 17 feet off the water, and welded to a
supporting arch which is virtually unmovable. The 1/2 inch holes had
to be precisely located + or minus 1/2 mm according to the
installation manual, and they would have to be done without benefit of
a drill press which is almost mandatory for stainless. To make the
project even more interesting, the temperatures are still in the 90s
here and the wind has been blowing 20+.

After a lot of measuring, re-measuring, double checking, sweating,
grunting, etc., I finally got all of the holes drilled this morning
and did a test fit.

Darned if it isn't just right. Sometimes you get lucky.

Now I've got to clean up the cutting oil residue and all the little
metal shards.

Stainless is a bitch for drilling. Congrats on the good job.

Old October 7th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.boats

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 09:57:22 -0400, John H.
wrote:

[...]

===

Yes, thanks. It is particularly challenging when you have to use hand
held tools in an awkward location.

I found a nice little set of titanium step drills on Amazon that
helped a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OEPYWK/

You still have to maintain slow speed along with lots of pressure and
lube, but they held up well and cut faster than anything else that
I've tried.

https://www.avg.com

Old October 7th 19, 05:28 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

And split point drills are far superior.

Old October 7th 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

One trick is use a slow drill and lots of cutting oil. If you heat
harden that stuff you are just going to burn up the bits.
Old October 7th 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

Great minds think alike ;-)

Old October 7th 19, 08:37 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

In the first hole I attempted, the stainless hardened up when I was
still a long way from a happy meal. I switched to a minature grinding
stone in a Dremel tool and it wouldn't touch it. I ended up buying a
diamond tipped masonary bit to finish it. That's when I bought the
titanium step drills and repositioned my ladder for better down
pressure on the remaining holes. I also switched to something called
Wurth HHS for the lube. It's pricey but I had a can laying around.

https://www.avg.com

Happiness isn't.. Toad Gigger General 2 December 18th 14 09:23 PM
Happiness is... Poco Loco General 32 November 25th 14 01:51 AM
Happiness is... John H.[_5_] General 31 June 8th 12 05:28 AM
Happiness is... Wayne.B Cruising 92 December 2nd 07 07:33 AM
Happiness is... Wayne.B General 133 December 2nd 07 07:31 AM