Old October 10th 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.boats

Default Cooking advice - steak on a George Foreman down here grill

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 15:26:06 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 13:25:04 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/8/2019 5:06 PM, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 12:58:29 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 07:43:57 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 21:35:05 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 20:03:47 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 15:08:37 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 09:50:49 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Oct 2019 13:06:45 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 06:37:18 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 6:06:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 12:57:34 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 08:28:43 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 20:03:59 -0400, Alex wrote:John H. wrote: On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 18:10:45 -0400,
wrote: On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 16:14:41 -0400, wrote: On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 14:12:11 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote: I season with Adolphs tenderizer === I assume you use the seasoned variety of Adolphs? How long do you let it sit before cooking? A George might not get hot enough or have the right thermal mass. Seared steaks like that seem best on a heavy cast iron skillet smoking hot when you throw the steak in. It is best to control doneness by the thickness of the steak you are cooking. You can buy a little extra cooking time by smearing butter on the cooked part and flip it again. That protects the sear and still lets it cook a little longer. If you are not making your own seasoning mix, that Montreal stuff is OK.
That
Montreal
stuff is mostly salt.Yes, but a light dusting over a steak is better than plain salt and pepper IMO.Just looking at the nutritional label, comparing sodium to pure salt,and doing some math, I get 57% salt by weight. Since salt weighs morethan the garlic and pepper it is a little less by volume. The shortanswer is a quarter tsp is 180mg sodium. (8% of DV) It does appear the secret ingredients are garlic, red and black pepperand paprika. (maybe some other un named "flavorings")

One taste will tell you that salt overpowers all the other ingredients.

Yuppers!

Like I said a lot of seared steak recipes just use salt, maybe some
pepper. I guess they think if you want to live forever, you wouldn't
be eating steak.

Now there's a new study out that says that eating red meat isn't actually bad for you.

All things in moderation.

Wait long enough and you will see a study that says if you don't eat
enough salt you will die ... because it is true.
That is why salt was part of the ration of a roman soldier, hence the
word salary.

The US Army stopped with the salt pills many years ago.

That is probably because they had to put so much salt in the rations
to get people to eat them that low electrolytes are not an issue. It
is true that we get a lot more salt from our food than they did in the
days when everything mom made was coming from raw food or unprocessed
foods. Manufactures figured out salt is cheap flavor and they load up
on it in processed foods and that is what kids expect in rations too.
Just looking at MREs they seem to cruise between 650mg to over a gram
of salt each.
Restaurants are the worst. That is why I suggested the secret
ingredient Wayne is missing from his steak that makes it different
than Outback (or even Ruth's Chris) is salt.

MREs are not the normal chow given to the military outside a combat zone without mess support.

I don't remember chow hall food being all that healthy either and you
could pretty much eat all you wanted.
One of my favorites was Bainbridge NTC corned beef that was 25% fat
and the garlic potatoes floating in melted butter. I used to have them
ladle a little more butter over the corned beef.
Maybe that Army chow is what got you where you are today
(Or more correctly where you were before the cardiologist scared the
salt out of you)

;-)

Could be. But the only time I subsisted on Army chow was during training, in Vietnam or during field
exercises elsewhere.

And then, as long as there was plenty of Tobasco, what was on the platter made no difference.

That tobasco must be an Army thing. I don't remember it in the Navy or
CG.

The Army has always been way ahead of the Navy and the Coast Guard.

Don't know about that. My father in law who served in the Navy aboard
ship in WWII always used Tabasco sauce on his eggs throughout his life.
He credited his time aboard ship in the Navy for this ... for the same
reason I also adopted the habit.

Well, now that you've clarified the Tobasco Sauce issue, I'll withdraw my comment!

OK I will defer to you DoD guys. The Treasury department fed us better
;-)

Old October 10th 19, 05:12 AM posted to rec.boats

wrote:
[...]

Well the Treasury collets all the money!

Old October 10th 19, 11:21 AM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

Sounds like they kept you in the dark if you didn't have Tobasco Sauce!!
Old October 10th 19, 01:06 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

You don't miss what you never had.

https://www.avg.com
Old October 10th 19, 06:39 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

I imagine they had it but the food was good enough that we didn't
"need" it. I have been around guys who put hot sauce on everything but
most were not military. I think it was just a macho thing. They used
to also compete on who could eat the hottest peppers and such.

Old October 10th 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

I am familiar with Tobasco and stuff that makes that seem like
ketchup. It is just not my preference. I would rather have food that
tastes good and be able to actually taste it.
Old October 10th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

Never saw that in an Army mess hall. Must be a CG thing.
Old October 10th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

What? Edible food? Pity.
Old October 10th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

No, your macho hot pepper eaters!
Old October 10th 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
[...]

The first video I saw of someone eating Ghost peppers were two Army guys. Here's one with an Army guy doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9DdVM8rius

Not a mess hall thing, just a macho thing. I used to love hot stuff (not Ghost pepper hot), but I've toned it down over the years. It's not a taste thing, but rather a "release the endorphins" thing.

Now Chipotles and roasted Poblanos do it for me. Oh, and I made some green "Colorado" chile a few weeks ago while the Hatch peppers were in season. Awesome stuff!