BoatBanter.com

-   -   Fuel/Oil ratio for old Sea King? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/182278-fuel-oil-ratio-old-sea-king.html)

Mr. Luddite[_4_] May 2nd 19 01:52 PM

Fuel/Oil ratio for old Sea King?

On 5/2/2019 8:42 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2019 08:01:06 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 5/2/2019 7:47 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2019 07:36:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 5/2/2019 7:19 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:42:24 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 5/1/2019 10:24 PM, Its Me wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 9:25:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2019 16:39:31 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 7:24:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2019 15:56:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I just got a old 5hp sea king and it's not locked up but I have no idea how to start it. Help plz!

Depending on how old it is at least 50:1 but some of the older ones
may have been 25:1
First be sure you have a healthy spark. That usually takes 2 people if
you don't have a spark tester. If it is sparking you can try just
filling it up and giving it a yank. If you are not sure you are
getting gas out of the carb, squirt some premix in the throat, open
the throttle all the way and yank it. You will start out too rich but
after a few pulls the mix will be OK enough to pop. If it runs a few
seconds and stops, suspect a carb problem or a fuel delivery problem.

They need three things to run... fuel, air, and spark. Greg's method will get you started.

Don't forget compression ;-)

You actually don't need much of that. I had a friend growing up that had a neighbor with a "collection" of those old single cylinder engines that fired once every 4-6 revolutions. They have almost no compression, and run just fine, sort-of. Similar to this:

http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/horizontal-single-cylinder-workshop-engine/

It was pretty cool to go over on a weekend and see him fire one up.

Many engines today used in lawn mowers, some motorcycles and other small
engine applications have automatic compression relief valves that
vents the cylinder compression until the starter (or pull rope) gets
the engine rotation up to a speed that will support starting. Once
started, the compression relief valve automatically closes.

I remember an old gas engine on something that had a manual compression
relief valve. It partially vented (lowering compression) until the
engine fired at which time you closed the relief valve.

---
https://www.avg.com

Some of the old Moto Guzzis had compression relief valves.

I think I remember having one on a motorcycle I had once also.
Can't remember which one it was.

Probably one of your Harleys. Amazon sells them. Here's a listing of what models it fits:

S&S Electric Compression Release for Harley DavidsonBike Fitments1999-2012 Harley Davidson FLHR Road
King1999-2012 Harley Davidson FLHRCI Road King Classic2000-2006 Harley Davidson FLHRI Road
King2004-2007 Harley Davidson FLHRSI Road King Custom1999-2009 Harley Davidson FLHT Electra Glide
Standard1999-2012 Harley Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide Classic1999-2006 Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Electra Glide Classic2007-2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCU Electra Glide Ultra Classic1999-2006 Harley
Davidson FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic2009-2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG Tri Glide Ultra
Classic2003-2006 Harley Davidson FLHTI Electra Glide Standard2010-2012 Harley Davidson FLHTK Electra
Glide Ultra Limited2006-2012 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide2006 Harley Davidson FLHXI Street
Glide2012 Harley Davidson FLHXXX Street Glide Trike2010 Harley Davidson FLHXXX Street Glide
Trike2006 Harley Davidson FLST Heritage Softail2000-2012 Harley Davidson FLSTC Heritage Softail
Classic2001-2006 Harley Davidson FLSTCI Heritage Softail Classic2000-2012 Harley Davidson FLSTF Fat
Boy2010-2012 Harley Davidson FLSTFB Fat Boy Lo2001-2006 Harley Davidson FLSTFI Fat Boy2006 Harley
Davidson FLSTI Heritage Softail2005-2012 Harley Davidson FLSTN Softail Deluxe2005-2006 Harley
Davidson FLSTNI Softail Deluxe2000-2003 Harley Davidson FLSTS Heritage Springer2008-2012 Harley
Davidson FLSTSB Cross Bones2005-2007 Harley Davidson FLSTSC Softail Springer Classic2005-2006 Harley
Davidson FLSTSCI Softail Springer Classic2001-2003 Harley Davidson FLSTSI Heritage Springer1999-2009
Harley Davidson FLTR Road Glide1999-2006 Harley Davidson FLTRI Road Glide2012 Harley Davidson FLTRU
Road Glide Ultra2010-2012 Harley Davidson FLTRX Road Glide Custom2008-2009 Harley Davidson FXCW
Rocker2008-2012 Harley Davidson FXCWC Rocker C1999-2010 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna

My "rememberer" is slowly warming up. I think I was wrong ... it wasn't
on a motorcycle. I have a hazy memory it was on an old outboard engine
on a boat when I was a kid. Can't be sure. Some of the files in my
brain are slowly becoming corrupted. :-)

You surely owned one of the Harleys in that list!

I did but if it had a compression relief valve it was of the automatic
type, not manual.

The one I remember was a little knob on the side of an outboard engine
that you pulled out when first pulling the manual cord start. Once it
fired up you pushed the knob back in. If you left it out the engine
would run but wouldn't rev up or develop any power.

John H.[_5_] May 2nd 19 01:57 PM

wrote:

[...]

The old Moto Guzzi had a manual valve also, with a cable attached up by the handlebar somewhere.

[email protected] May 2nd 19 04:51 PM

Fuel/Oil ratio for old Sea King?

On Thu, 2 May 2019 07:00:44 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 5/2/2019 12:03 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2019 19:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

You actually don't need much of that. I had a friend growing up that had a neighbor with a "collection" of those old single cylinder engines that fired once every 4-6 revolutions. They have almost no compression, and run just fine, sort-of. Similar to this:

http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/horizontal-single-cylinder-workshop-engine/

It was pretty cool to go over on a weekend and see him fire one up.

===

I think those were engines with "spark interrupter" governors. They
had big fly wheels with a lot of momentum. In order to maintain a
constant speed and prevent over revving, the governor would actually
disable the ignition until the speed came back down. I once saw a big
collection at a county fair in upstate NY, and they were a lot of fun
to watch. Running under load they'd generally fire on every
compression stroke.

One of the dangers of diesel engines (although rare) is a "runaway"
condition whereby the governor controlling fuel intake fails and
the engine will increase RPM until something explodes or breaks.
No "ignition" to stop it or limit the engine RPM.

My wife's uncle was a diesel engine instructor in a trade school
and he described a situation when this happened with one of the
diesels used in the school's garage. A student had reassembled
the engine incorrectly, the governor didn't function and they
had a runaway when it was started. Sounds scary but was
remedied by discharging a fire extinguisher into the air
intake, robbing the engine of oxygen.

I had a situation on the Navigator once when I couldn't shut one
of the engines down. It wasn't a "runaway" but when I turned the
key fully left that is supposed to energize a solenoid in the fuel
line, stopping fuel from being supplied, it didn't work. Couldn't
shut the engine down. Finally found a manual lever on the engine
that closed off fuel and stopped the engine. The problem with the
key/solenoid turned out to be a re-settable fuse in the electrical
supply to the solenoid.

===

The "runaway" diesel syndrome that I'm familiar with is peculiar to
2-stroke models, mostly Detroits. On older engines when the piston
rings start to wear, the engine can actually start to run on its own
crankcase oil, so the throttle and governor are totally out of the
loop. Since this condition will eventually result in total
destruction of the engine, a lot of boats with Detroit Diesels have
emergency engine shutdown controls for just that contingency. When
you pull the knob it releases a spring loaded plate that closes off
the air intake to the engine. The only way to restart is to manually
reset the plate in the engine room and re-engage the latch.

---
https://www.avg.com

Bill[_12_] May 2nd 19 06:35 PM

wrote:

[...]

They were make-break ignition engines. And I think the intake valve was
kept open to prevent overspeed. They also disconnected the battery, so no
spark at same time. Was to save battery juice. The battery disconnect was
not on all engines. Make break had the points inside the combustion
chamber and no condenser to suppress the spark.

Tim May 3rd 19 03:00 AM

Fuel/Oil ratio for old Sea King?

Bill
wrote:

[...]

What got me was a lot of the old ww1 biplane radials were setthrottle (wide open) when the guy hit the prop you were gone! Anyhow, to control the engine you actually killed the Magnito and let off if it. Making the engine cut out then refire. Then Tom Seleck is in the dog fight in High Road To China, there’s a good demonstration of the cut-out technique.

Bye, Bill, yes there’s a local guy that has a “hit n miss” engine with the point breaker built in the head.

Tim May 3rd 19 03:09 AM

wrote:

I just got a old 5hp sea king and it's not locked up but I have no idea how to start it. Help plz!

Depending on how old it is at least 50:1 but some of the older ones
may have been 25:1
First be sure you have a healthy spark. That usually takes 2 people if
you don't have a spark tester. If it is sparking you can try just
filling it up and giving it a yank. If you are not sure you are
getting gas out of the carb, squirt some premix in the throat, open
the throttle all the way and yank it. You will start out too rich but
after a few pulls the mix will be OK enough to pop. If it runs a few
seconds and stops, suspect a carb problem or a fuel delivery problem.

I plan on running my 115 2-smoker mercury on 40:1

Bill[_12_] May 3rd 19 05:17 PM

Fuel/Oil ratio for old Sea King?

Tim wrote:
Bill
wrote:

[...]

We had a large collection at the county fair grounds. All donated. New
manager auctioned them off. I think he gets a percentage of profits.