BoatBanter.com

-   -   When Shrimp's on Sale! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/182262-re-when-shrimps-sale.html)

John H.[_5_] April 30th 19 10:49 AM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 21:34:29 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 21:03:10 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 19:15:57 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:24:15 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:15:53 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 14:15:23 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I like the big 16-20 shrimp for this. Peel 'em, cut 'em in half and go for it. Might not be good for
you, but it's good!

Shrimp Scampi with Linguini
Ingredients
" 1 pound linguini
" 4 tablespoons butter
" 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
" 2 shallots, finely diced
" 2 cloves garlic, minced (or a lot more!)
" Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
" 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
" Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
" 1/2 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc does the trick)
" Juice of 1 lemon
" 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
Directions
For the pasta, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. When it has come to the boil, add a
couple of tablespoons of salt and the linguini. Stir to make sure the pasta separates; cover. When
the water returns to a boil, cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the pasta is not quite done.
Drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high
heat. Saute the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using) until the shallots are
translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and
cook until they have turned pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan; set aside
and keep warm. Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2
tablespoons oil. When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the parsley and
cooked pasta. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a bit more olive oil and serve
immediately.

I did something like that a few days ago. I throw in a couple shakes
of italian seasoning.
I like angel hair tossed in butter, thyme and garlic but that may just
be me.

I do spaghetti that way often. Lots of garlic, oregano and butter. I'm more an oregano type than
thyme. I've got some oregano growing. Might have to plant me an herb garden.

I guess that is why we cook. We get things the way we like them ;-)

I just did a baked Ziti Saturday and I still have some left over I am
picking my way through. Made a Caesar salad tonight with some of the
leftover chicken from last night.

We had company for the past few days. I did a fresh picnic and yesterday some pulled chicken on the
Treager. Came out very good.

I still spin up chickens on the rotisserie. They are basically like
the ones you get at Costco, just fresher (5 minutes from spit to
table). I can also play around with rubs and spices.

I'll spatchcock it and throw it on the Traeger. Low and slow for a couple hours. Comes out good.

Tim April 30th 19 01:48 PM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

John H
I'll spatchcock it and throw it on the Traeger. Low and slow for a couple hours. Comes out good.

You gonna put the smoke to it?

John H.[_5_] April 30th 19 01:58 PM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 05:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

John H
I'll spatchcock it and throw it on the Traeger. Low and slow for a couple hours. Comes out good.

You gonna put the smoke to it?

That's what I did Sunday. Used that pellet holder and piled the smoke on. My wife likes the pulled
chicken better'n the pulled pork now. I think it's pretty good, but not quite up to the pulled pork.
Spatchcocking the bird helps it cook evenly. 160F is the magic number for it to pull nicely. The
skin stays on during cooking and is then discarded prior to pulling.

Here's a You Tube of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKs4...X3ldfy1mbEs23k

[email protected] April 30th 19 04:38 PM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

wrote:

[...]

I do that if I am cooking it in the oven but they do fine on the spit
whole.

John H.[_5_] April 30th 19 04:49 PM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

wrote:

[...]

I can't do the spit thing any more. Did a lot of turkeys that way on the charcoal Weber, but trashed
the Weber a few weeks ago. Spatchcock turkeys on the Traeger also.

Its Me May 2nd 19 12:37 AM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

wrote:

[...]

I love smoked turkeys and chickens, but the turkeys especially can have rubbery skin and are a bit unevenly cooked. Other than the pellet grill, I bought one of these:

http://lionbbq.com/grills-l75000

I had a nice Weber gas grill and it was great, but in the 10+ years I had it I replaced the grates and flavor bars due to them rusting away even though it was always covered. Last thing was the cart rusted away and the legs/casters were falling apart. The Lion is completely stainless with a lifetime warranty.

I'd never had a rotisserie until the Lion, and I love it. Chickens and whole turkey breast are awesome!

Also picked up one of the smoker tubes you and Tim were talking about. I cold smoked some cheddar and pepper jack cheese last weekend. It will be ready for eating weekend after next. I hope to get in one more cold smoke before our weather gets too hot, and then I'll have to wait until fall. I had to sample it. It's already good!

John H.[_5_] May 2nd 19 01:07 AM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

wrote:

[...]

There's a trick to getting crispier skin. Have to jack the temp way up for a few minutes at the end
of the cook, I believe. I'll be giving that cold smoking a try with some Gouda I brought back from
Gouda, Holland.

From the Traeger site: "When ready to cook, set the Traeger to 225? and preheat, lid closed for 15
minutes.

Place the turkey in a roasting pan and place directly on the grill grate. Cook until the internal
temperature reaches 100-110F.

Increase the temperature on the grill to 350F and continue to cook until an instant read thermometer
registers 160F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast, about 3 to 4 hours total cook time.
Turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final temperature of 165F in the
breast."

The higher temp will crisp up the skin.

Its Me May 2nd 19 02:12 AM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

wrote:

[...]

From the Traeger site: "When ready to cook, set the Traeger to 225? and preheat, lid closed for 15
minutes.

Place the turkey in a roasting pan and place directly on the grill grate. Cook until the internal
temperature reaches 100-110F.

Increase the temperature on the grill to 350F and continue to cook until an instant read thermometer
registers 160F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast, about 3 to 4 hours total cook time.
Turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final temperature of 165F in the
breast."

The higher temp will crisp up the skin.

Yeah, it's just that I'm usually doing other things at the same time that doesn't want or need the high temp. With the smoke tube and rotisserie, I think I can get the best of both worlds for the birds. That rotisserie with the infrared burner on the back wall of the grill is the bomb!

[email protected] May 2nd 19 02:35 AM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

wrote:

[...]

From the Traeger site: "When ready to cook, set the Traeger to 225? and preheat, lid closed for 15
minutes.

Place the turkey in a roasting pan and place directly on the grill grate. Cook until the internal
temperature reaches 100-110F.

Increase the temperature on the grill to 350F and continue to cook until an instant read thermometer
registers 160F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast, about 3 to 4 hours total cook time.
Turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final temperature of 165F in the
breast."

The higher temp will crisp up the skin.

I do that on the rotisserie.

Bill[_12_] May 2nd 19 04:29 AM

When Shrimp's on Sale!

wrote:

[...]

From the Traeger site: "When ready to cook, set the Traeger to 225? and
preheat, lid closed for 15
minutes.

Place the turkey in a roasting pan and place directly on the grill
grate. Cook until the internal
temperature reaches 100-110F.

Increase the temperature on the grill to 350F and continue to cook until
an instant read thermometer
registers 160F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast, about 3
to 4 hours total cook time.
Turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final
temperature of 165F in the
breast."

The higher temp will crisp up the skin.

I do that on the rotisserie.

Use to have a couple different bbq that had rotisserie. Cheap Q’s. Works
great. Seems as if the Treager does very moist fowl.