BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/180282-fords-ex-boyfriend-opens-up.html)

[email protected] October 6th 18 10:06 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:50:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM, wrote:

I agree, inverters are a far more elegant design but for the once a
decade use I am looking at, I am not sure I want to pay for a 5.5kw
inverter generator. If I didn't have a deal I could not refuse, I
wouldn't even have this one ($300 new in the box)
I did play with the engine speed and I could get the voltage up a
little but the frequency seemed to increase faster than the voltage so
I went back to getting a steady 60 hz. There are a bunch of holes in
the bracket that the governor spring hangs on so you have a lot of
options. I ended up being the next hole up from the one it was shipped
at, adjusting speed/frequency to a full load and that is a minor
change. (~59.8hz - 60)

I've noticed that there are now several manufacturers offering inverter
types. Back when I bought mine I think Honda was the only game in town
and they only had three sizes in terms of power ... 1kw, 2kw and 3kw,
all with 120 volt outputs only.

Now you can get them much bigger in capacity and they offer 240v outputs
in addition to the 120v. I was just looking at a 5kw (6.5Kw peak) made
by Briggs and Stratton that costs about what a Honda eu2200i goes for.

Since the stuff I am worried about is mostly 240v, (pumping water)
those little Hondas had little attraction for me. I understand that
later you could get two and make a 240 with the right kit but that
gave me two gas engines to keep running.
Maybe if I actually thought I needed a better generator I would look
at a bigger 240v inverter but since mine seemed to be running hard
just to keep up with the load, I was not sure how much I would save.
I did consider metering the generator output, since I have a couple of
utility meters on the shelf but I wasn't sure how much I really needed
to know. I did put this into the system so I can hook up a clamp
easily.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Gene...connection.jpg

I have some CTs in my pile of junk and a few panel meters that would
be fairly easy to hook up but again, I may not have another outage
that lasts long enough to care. Right after the storm I was ready to
go with a box, the meters the CTs and the necessary connectors but I
quickly lost interest.
I am not even sure where I would put it. In the garage where it is
easy to install, is not convenient to read. I guess I do have enough
wire in pipe around here to put the meters themselves just about
anywhere.
Never dig a hole without dropping a lot of pipe in it, that's my motto
;-)

When I put in the service feeder from the garage to the house, I
dropped in 2 extra raceways.

Bill[_12_] October 7th 18 05:35 AM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

I think the two generator connector kit just gave more amps, not more
voltage. You could run your RV with a 30 amp plug.

Mr. Luddite[_4_] October 7th 18 12:34 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

That's true. All the interconnect cable does is synchronize each
generator's output so they are in phase.

John H.[_5_] October 7th 18 05:20 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 20:12:01 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/5/2018 7:45 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 15:33:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/5/2018 3:24 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 14:15:49 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/5/2018 1:27 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 07:08:36 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 21:08:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

Been doing it for years. The outside transfer switch just makes it more
convenient. Actually, my point was that there are many devices
available today that weren't around years ago. I had never heard of
an outside transfer switch like the one we are installing. My
son-in-law, being current on this stuff suggested it.

You're talking about something like this, right?

http://tinyurl.com/yaecwjem

I wonder how much an electrician would charge to install one. Might be a nice Christmas present for
the kids.

Installing the switch is not the expensive part. It is swinging over
the 6 (or more) circuits you want to transfer. Your mileage will
certainly vary on that one depending on where you want the generator
and where the panel is.
Also be aware generators may be putting out 115 volts and not 120 so
voltage drop can be an issue. That feeder from the generator may have
to be up sized if it is very long. I know it was a problem for my. The
fridge in the kitchen was only seeing 106-108v on start up.
I now have one of these for it. (a gift from Henk, my dutch friend)
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Henc%20Variac.jpg

It lets you adjust the voltage up or down.

Greg, I think you are making this far more complicated than it really
is. The unit John found has a 10 foot long whip with 10 awg wires for
each circuit to be transferred. More than enough for typical household
circuits.

The idea is to mount the transfer box as close to the indoor power panel
as possible. If that can't be done, then another method should be used.

I had a voltage drop problem in Florida when I ran power down to a slab
that I put in for the RV we had at the time. The slab was about 75 feet
or so from the house panel. I used 6 awg wire but the voltage
at the RV drooped to as low as 104 volts sometimes mainly because the
whole service to the community drooped at times to under 115 volts. I
got a Hughes buck/boost autotransformer that cured that problem.

https://autoplicity.com/ImageLoader/12268501

How is my variac "too complicated" It is essentially what your buck
boost transformer does, it was free and it is adjustable.
The only thing I had a problem with was the fridge in the kitchen and
that is because it is a long way from the generator. (Using existing
house wiring)

I was not commenting on your variac. I was commenting on how
detailed and involved your comments are regarding hooking up a simple
little outdoor transfer switch that is specifically designed to be
located near (within 10 feet) of the house power panel. Voltage drop
isn't an issue. It's really not all that complicated if you install and
use it in accordance with what it is designed for.

My comment about the autotransformer was simply an example of long runs
and the voltage drop that may occur. I agree with you there but that's
not the issue with the Reliance outdoor transfer switch we are talking
about.

The point was PoCos usually give you 120v or more (mine is 123-124)
and a lot of generators are more like 115 so an existing voltage drop
issue may show up at 115 but not at 120+.
I agree 10' of #10 will not be an issue at all but if the generator
ends up a ways away because of noise or CO concerns, that feeder to
the generator may be an issue. Especially if you are starting at 115v.

In my case, it's not an issue but agree it could be in some cases. The
"feeder" I will use is 12 awg. Last year when I did the extension cord
thing I used a 25' heavy duty, 12 awg extension cord. I monitored the
voltage and current using a "KillaWatt" meter.

https://tinyurl.com/y6vtmrqe

Voltage was 123vac with no load and the same (123 vac) at about half
load (6amps). The Honda's max output is just over 13 amps so any voltage
drop is negligible.

Noise is not an issue. Honda eu2000i's are very quiet. Last winter when
I was using it to run the heat and refrigerator it was sitting outside
about 12 feet away from the house but within sight of the bedroom window.

If I woke up in the middle of the night I often had to get up and make
sure it was still running and not out of gas. Barely audible from
inside the house.

We run ours very close to the rig. All that can be heard is a hum. Very quiet.

[email protected] October 7th 18 05:45 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

I thought they could also be phased in series but I may be wrong. It
never interested me enough to pursue.

Mr. Luddite[_4_] October 7th 18 08:26 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

wrote:
On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:50:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Maybe there are some that can generate 240v with a centertap to neutral
when slaved together but the Honda ... at least the ones I am familiar
with don't. Just doubles the available amps at 120 v.

True North[_2_] October 7th 18 09:05 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

wrote:
On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:50:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

When I bought my EU 2000i in January, I had the choice of the regular model with the two 120v outlets or the 'Companion' model that had one 120v outlet and a way to hook two up together. I believe there was a 240v option. Now on the Honda site I see they beefed these models up a bit to Eu2200i and the EU2000i Companion...at the same price as the older 2000 models.
https://powerequipment.honda.ca/gene...tweight-series

Mr. Luddite[_4_] October 7th 18 10:15 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

wrote:
On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:50:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

I've searched but I still don't see a 240 volt output version. There is
a lot of discussion if two "companion" eu2000i's could be set up for 240
volt (series) but the experts and Honda reps all say no.

There's a way you could do it .... have the generator feed a 1:2 step up
transformer with a center tapped secondary (for the common neutral) but
the current capacity for each leg would be greatly diminished. Not
really feasible. Circuit would look like this. Note that the two
output legs are 180 degrees out of phase:

http://funkyimg.com/i/2LU7E.jpg

John H.[_5_] October 8th 18 02:34 PM

Ford's Ex-boyfriend Opens Up

wrote:
On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:50:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 1:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

There is no 240 volt option. Adding the 2200i Companion provides 30 amps at 120 volts.