Default Florence!

Well, after we had to evacuate the house for nearly a week while new hardwoods were being laid, sanded and finished,we are back in the house today just in time for Florence. At this time the biggest worry is power outage... the storm is down to a Cat 1, but is moving so slowly it will dump lots of rain. We're on a hill so no worries of flooding, but power is a concern with a well. Should have pulled the trigger on a gen, but we've briefly lost power twice in ten years, so it hasn't been at the top of the list. Work is 10 minutes away, and we have a huge gen, kitchen and showers so really no big deal. Plus I have about 5 ways to cook without electricity, so we are OK.

Hope anyone in the path fairs well. I'll probably just spend my time painting the newly remodeled parts. All new appliances next Tuesday! Then we'll have a complete kitchen again after almost 3 months. Whew!

On 9/14/2018 12:34 AM, Its Me wrote:

[...]

Good luck down there. Sounds like flooding won't be an issue for you.
My son and family headed for Florida. They drove most of the day
(leaving from Mt. Pleasant) and by 6 pm had made it to the
Georgia/Florida border. He said I-95 was a parking lot.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 21:34:54 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

[...]

I've heard nothing but good about this generator from the RV crowd.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

As soon as I find a buyer for my Honda 2200, I'm getting the Predator.

Thanks, but I need 240V@30A to run the well pump.

On 9/14/2018 10:50 AM, Its Me wrote:
[...]

I don't necessarily need 240v (split phase) but if my Honda ever gives
up the ghost I'll shop for one.

Speaking of the Honda ... I just pulled it out of the storage shed and
gave it three pulls. Fired right up. Last time it was used was last
winter when we lost power for a couple of days. Still has the same
gas in it that it had then with a splash of Stabil in it. I have it
running right now, trying to run it out of gas so I can use fresh gas
if and when I need it again. It's just purring away on the old gas.

So much for the stories that gas goes bad in a month or two. It may
lose some of it's BTU's so an engine can't develop it's full HP rating
but I see no evidence of that. I put a 1500 watt space heater on it
as a load so it burns the gas faster and it runs just fine.

wrote:

Well, after we had to evacuate the house for nearly a week while new
hardwoods were being laid, sanded and finished,we are back in the
house today just in time for Florence. At this time the biggest
worry is power outage... the storm is down to a Cat 1, but is moving
so slowly it will dump lots of rain.Â* We're on a hill so no worries
of flooding, but power is a concern with a well. Should have pulled
the trigger on a gen, but we've briefly lost power twice in ten
years, so it hasn't been at the top of the list. Work is 10 minutes
away, and we have a huge gen, kitchen and showers so really no big
deal.Â* Plus I have about 5 ways to cook without electricity, so we
are OK.

Hope anyone in the path fairs well.Â* I'll probably just spend my
time painting the newly remodeled parts.Â* All new appliances next
Tuesday!Â* Then we'll have a complete kitchen again after almost 3
months.Â* Whew!

I've heard nothing but good about this generator from the RV crowd.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

As soon as I find a buyer for my Honda 2200, I'm getting the Predator.

Thanks, but I need 240V@30A to run the well pump.

I don't necessarily need 240v (split phase) but if my Honda ever gives
up the ghost I'll shop for one.

Speaking of the Honda ... I just pulled it out of the storage shed and
gave it three pulls.Â* Fired right up.Â* Last time it was used was last
winter when we lost power for a couple of days.Â* Still has the same
gas in it that it had then with a splash of Stabil in it.Â* I have it
running right now, trying to run it out of gas so I can use fresh gas
if and when I need it again.Â* It's just purring away on the old gas.

So much for the stories that gas goes bad in a month or two.Â* It may
lose some of it's BTU's so an engine can't develop it's full HP rating
but I see no evidence of that.Â* I put a 1500 watt space heater on it
as a load so it burns the gas faster and it runs just fine.

Ahh, you put Stabil in your generator's tank and the gas was good enough
to start up and run your generator and therefore "So much for the
stories that gas goes bad in a month or two."

Gotta love that scientific methodology.

wrote:

Well, after we had to evacuate the house for nearly a week while
new hardwoods were being laid, sanded and finished,we are back in
the house today just in time for Florence. At this time the biggest
worry is power outage... the storm is down to a Cat 1, but is
moving so slowly it will dump lots of rain.Â* We're on a hill so no
worries of flooding, but power is a concern with a well. Should
have pulled the trigger on a gen, but we've briefly lost power
twice in ten years, so it hasn't been at the top of the list. Work
is 10 minutes away, and we have a huge gen, kitchen and showers so
really no big deal.Â* Plus I have about 5 ways to cook without

http://funkyimg.com/i/2Le5c.jpg

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:14:59 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

I'll bet. I made the trip west on I-20 Tuesday to nearly the SC-GA border, and it was moving at 60-70 mph, but the traffic was intense. If someone sneezed, there was going to be a pileup.

Traffic now is really sparse. Lots of closures, most people are hunkered down and ready. People in SC are pretty toughened up for these kinds of storms. It's a 1 inch accumulation of snow that throws us for a loop.

wrote:

[...]

You know nothing about scientific methodology. You've an Engrish major, remember?

wrote:

Well, after we had to evacuate the house for nearly a week while
new hardwoods were being laid, sanded and finished,we are back in
the house today just in time for Florence. At this time the
biggest worry is power outage... the storm is down to a Cat 1, but
is moving so slowly it will dump lots of rain.Â* We're on a hill so
[...]

Universal truth from a single observation?