BoatBanter.com

-   -   Freakin' Genius, Tim! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/179318-freakin-genius-tim.html)

John H.[_5_] June 14th 18 06:04 PM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

So the right carb was leaking, big time. Order new float valve and adjusted float per the book.
Still leaking. Adjusted float some more. Got leak stopped. But...no gas getting to right cylinder.

Called my master carburetor mechanic who had a super idea. Why not take the bowl off the other
carburetor and measure how the float is hanging. Big difference. Adjusted right float to match left
float geometry, reassembled everything, and voila - no leak and both cylinders firing.

Thanks Tim!

Of course Harry will have a negative comment, but that's to be expected.

justan June 14th 18 06:32 PM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

John H. Wrote in message:
So the right carb was leaking, big time. Order new float valve and adjusted float per the book.
Still leaking. Adjusted float some more. Got leak stopped. But...no gas getting to right cylinder.

Called my master carburetor mechanic who had a super idea. Why not take the bowl off the other
carburetor and measure how the float is hanging. Big difference. Adjusted right float to match left
float geometry, reassembled everything, and voila - no leak and both cylinders firing.

Thanks Tim!

Of course Harry will havewn a negative comment, but that's to be expected.

Don't mind Fat Harry. He's just mad because you wouldn't ride in
his boat.

So you set the angle of the dangle. How does that affect the level
of the upside down float?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Keyser Soze June 14th 18 06:35 PM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

On 6/14/18 1:32 PM, justan wrote:
John H. Wrote in message:
So the right carb was leaking, big time. Order new float valve and adjusted float per the book.
Still leaking. Adjusted float some more. Got leak stopped. But...no gas getting to right cylinder.

Called my master carburetor mechanic who had a super idea. Why not take the bowl off the other
carburetor and measure how the float is hanging. Big difference. Adjusted right float to match left
float geometry, reassembled everything, and voila - no leak and both cylinders firing.

Thanks Tim!

Of course Harry will havewn a negative comment, but that's to be expected.

Don't mind Fat Harry. He's just mad because you wouldn't ride in
his boat.

So you set the angle of the dangle. How does that affect the level
of the upside down float?

My only interest in Herring's messing around with gasoline is in a kaboom.

Tim June 14th 18 06:41 PM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

John H
So the right carb was leaking, big time. Order new float valve and adjusted float per the book.
Still leaking. Adjusted float some more. Got leak stopped. But...no gas getting to right cylinder.

Called my master carburetor mechanic who had a super idea. Why not take the bowl off the other
carburetor and measure how the float is hanging. Big difference. Adjusted right float to match left
float geometry, reassembled everything, and voila - no leak and both cylinders firing.

Thanks Tim!

Of course Harry will have a negative comment, but that's to be expected.

So glad it all worked for the good. Like I said the delorto cards are so simple but finicky. I’d rather work on a delorto than set the injection pumps on imaginary twin Volvo turbo diesels any day.

Tim June 14th 18 06:42 PM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

12:35 PMKeyser Soze
My only interest in Herring's messing around with gasoline is in a kaboom.

——-

Yep. John was right.

John H.[_5_] June 14th 18 06:49 PM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:32:47 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

John H. Wrote in message:
So the right carb was leaking, big time. Order new float valve and adjusted float per the book.
Still leaking. Adjusted float some more. Got leak stopped. But...no gas getting to right cylinder.

Called my master carburetor mechanic who had a super idea. Why not take the bowl off the other
carburetor and measure how the float is hanging. Big difference. Adjusted right float to match left
float geometry, reassembled everything, and voila - no leak and both cylinders firing.

Thanks Tim!

Of course Harry will havewn a negative comment, but that's to be expected.

Don't mind Fat Harry. He's just mad because you wouldn't ride in
his boat.

So you set the angle of the dangle. How does that affect the level
of the upside down float?

The distance the float hangs can easily be measured while the carb is mounted on the bike. I've no
idea why the Italians give the specs with the carb removed and placed a certain way on a surface.
Unreal.

But whatever. The damn thing runs on both cylinders now, and gas isn't puddling under it, so I'm
happy - 'til the next thing that goes wrong. The bike has never (knock on wood) been in the shop for
anything.

Wayne.B June 15th 18 03:02 AM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 10:41:22 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
So the right carb was leaking, big time. Order new float valve and adjusted float per the book.
Still leaking. Adjusted float some more. Got leak stopped. But...no gas getting to right cylinder.

Called my master carburetor mechanic who had a super idea. Why not take the bowl off the other
carburetor and measure how the float is hanging. Big difference. Adjusted right float to match left
float geometry, reassembled everything, and voila - no leak and both cylinders firing.

Thanks Tim!

Of course Harry will have a negative comment, but that's to be expected.

So glad it all worked for the good. Like I said the delorto cards are so simple but finicky. I’d rather work on a delorto than set the injection pumps on imaginary twin Volvo turbo diesels any day.

===

It's so difficult to find the right imaginary tools for working on an
imaginary boat. And then there's the question of metric vs SAE which
is quite difficult as you might imagine. Something will always come
up to throw a left handed monkey wrench into the works, imagine that.

Tim June 15th 18 03:07 AM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

Wayne.B
[...]

And as in most cases, Wayne, you can bring every tool and gauge you can imagine and still miss the one you didn’t think of...😳🙄

[email protected] June 15th 18 03:52 AM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 22:02:40 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 10:41:22 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
[...]

I am sure Harry just has an imaginary, factory trained, union mechanic
flying in from Sweden to check the oil on his twin Volvo diesels.

Wayne.B June 15th 18 04:25 AM

Freakin' Genius, Tim!

wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 10:41:22 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
[...]

You have to do that sort of imaginary maintenance if you want to sell
the boat for more than you paid for it. How else to make an imaginary
profit?