BoatBanter.com

-   -   weird VHF problem, sunspot? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1791-weird-vhf-problem-sunspot.html)

Ron White October 30th 03 07:52 PM

weird VHF problem, sunspot?

Yesterday my ICOM vhf (which has DSC capability) would suddenly change to
channel 16 and emit a very loud ambulance siren type sound from the speaker.
The volume of the sound was not controllable and be canceled by changeing
channels or pushing the DSC button.This happened quite a few times. Today I
tested the unit by leaving it on for a good while , checks OK. So could this
be caused by solar flares?
--
Ron White
My boatbuilding website is:

Capt. Frank Hopkins October 30th 03 08:44 PM

weird VHF problem, sunspot?

Could be. The higher the latitude, the more effect it had. I had all my
stuff disconnected.

We had a 50/50 chance, and did get lucky. The flare had a south pole
magnetic field. We only lost 2 satellites. A few vhf radios went on the
fritz yesterday, as well as GPS errors and some radar fuzz.

A north pole'd flare could have caused a bit of havoc with the power
grid and other electronic gadgets.

basskisser October 31st 03 12:44 PM

weird VHF problem, sunspot?

"Ron White" wrote in message ...
Yesterday my ICOM vhf (which has DSC capability) would suddenly change to
channel 16 and emit a very loud ambulance siren type sound from the speaker.
The volume of the sound was not controllable and be canceled by changeing
channels or pushing the DSC button.This happened quite a few times. Today I
tested the unit by leaving it on for a good while , checks OK. So could this
be caused by solar flares?

Interesting, I noticed my digital cable (t.v.) loosing signal some
yesterday. Doesn't usually do that, so who knows?!!

Ron White October 31st 03 02:03 PM

weird VHF problem, sunspot?

Actually, there was no transmission, this happened about every thirty
minutes for over 12 hours. Surely no emergency would last that long or they
would figure out what they wanted to say? I did recieve a few coast guard
pan-pan's on my other non DSC radio at various times that did not coincide
with these alarms.

Gerald Simons October 31st 03 05:17 PM

weird VHF problem, sunspot?

Could have been. I heard it was going to disrupt communications if it
were to cause problems. Asked a friend who manages a ISP in FL and
says they had some problems. He wasn't sure if it was because of the
flare but added it helped their customer support people with at least
having an answer of some sort for the angry callers.
Regards
Gerald

"Jim Dorval" wrote in message ...
An all call alert.

Jim

Snafu November 1st 03 04:02 PM

weird VHF problem, sunspot?

Last night a strange thing happened, in fact it happened again and again. I
was watching TV and the doorbell would ring. I opened the door and every
time I did, there was a group of young people there dressed in strange garb.
They held out bags as they chanted something like "trikortreet". The only
possible reason for this strange behavior I can come up with is the recent
solar flare activity.

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...